Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• no news is good news......so they say  :D
    You're a bit cheerful all of a sudden, Golfie? 

What do you know that we don't? :smile:

• edited July 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

Haven't replaced our top scorer yet or Millar, who most of those in the know rated highly. Or Maatsen, who I thought was great. I'd say we're possibly weaker than we were at the end of last season and definitely behind the curve.

I'll be much happier when we get...

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

I'm starting to think we might be under another secret transfer umbongo...

Amos - McGillivray
    AMB - AMB

Matthews - Matthews
    Gunter - Gunter
    Maatsen - 
    Purrington - Purrington

Famewo - Famewo
    Pearce - Pearce
    Inniss - Inniss
    Nobody - 

Pratley - Dobson
    Watson - Watson
    Gilbey - Gilbey
    JFC - JFC
    Morgan - Morgan
    Shinnie - Clare
    Smith -  

Millar - 
    DJ - DJ

Stockley - Stockley
    Washington - Washington
    Schwartz - Schwartz
    Aneke - 

Hardly behind the curve, the two players really missing from ending last season are Millar and Aneke, granted both important, but those are the two players that we really need to get right, difference between playoffs auto.

We're not really in that bad a shape if the season was to start tomorrow, not perfect, but not relegation material.

We have baked the cake we just need to ice it and add a big fat cherry or two on the top.

Powell had an iced cake but even he still had to add the cherries.  He didn't do that until well, after we had already beaten the cherries.

Last season we had some eggs and flour but couldn't afford the leccy to turn the oven on and we're just about to flog the baking tins. 
    Great...now I'm hungry
    Yeah, that reminds me, what's for lunch everybody, plenty of time for rumours this afternoon, preferably on a full stomach....
    Are you Steve Gallen? No wonder there's been no signings this morning. :smile:

Shucks, sussed me there...sorry must dash, pie and pint waiting... B)
  • Maatsen also performed well further up the pitch.

I suspect Chelsea would want to see him loaned to a Championship club to increase he resale value while Charlton end up loaning a different Chelsea player.  

Who that might be I have no idea but I'd never heard of Gallagher either.  Gallen will know who's available and will probably already had talks with Chelsea and other EPL clubs.  

Gallen will also know that he'll have to wait, perhaps until just before the window closes, until he gets a definite answer. 
    What I felt about Maatsen last season was at the beginning of the season he looked to be outrageously too good for the level. Then as the season progressed he sort of adapted to it. It is possible he looked good when the team was good, so the secret is probably having good players around him.

I suspect Chelsea would want to see him loaned to a Championship club to increase he resale value while Charlton end up loaning a different Chelsea player.  

Who that might be I have no idea but I'd never heard of Gallagher either.  Gallen will know who's available and will probably already had talks with Chelsea and other EPL clubs.  

Gallen will also know that he'll have to wait, perhaps until just before the window closes, until he gets a definite answer. 
    What I felt about Maatsen last season was at the beginning of the season he looked to be outrageously too good for the level. Then as the season progressed he sort of adapted to it. It is possible he looked good when the team was good, so the secret is probably having good players around him.
    That's what Maatsen had been used to at Chelsea.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    In the words of Ness from Gavin and Stacey, what's occuring?
    In the u23s isn't he? 
    No, wrong one, I think he lives near a loch…
  • edited July 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    no news is good news......so they say  :D

Dont worry - I just hacked his account for a larf again ;)
    FA, what a wheeze, wonder if Golfie will see the funny side of it....prob not but hey.. B)
  • Vfrf said:
    Cloudworm said:
    So far we've replaced

Amos with McGillivray
    Pratley with Dobson
    Shinnie with Clare

Haven't replaced our top scorer yet or Millar, who most of those in the know rated highly. Or Maatsen, who I thought was great. I'd say we're possibly weaker than we were at the end of last season and definitely behind the curve.

I'll be much happier when we get...

A winger
    A left back
    A goalscorer
    And a centre half

I'm starting to think we might be under another secret transfer umbongo...
    You don't often see 5 players signing when you're under an embargo...
    You're also replacing Millar who got one assist in every six games he played, and scored one in every eight and a half games - somehow I think we'll be signing a winger who can at least match that contribution. If Jayasemi stays fit I can almost guarantee you he'll give you that return or better. Maatsen was a decent winger but was torrid in defence which is why when a technically astute manager actually come in, he barely got a game at left-back. We're in the market for at least a winger, striker and centre-half, but we're likely shopping in the Championship 'squad-player' market who haven't finalised their teams yet - that happens closer to the window so I'm sure in the end you'll be happier. I'd argue every position we've replaced we've strengthened, so have a little bit of faith and patience and I'm sure it'll pay off.
    "almost guarantee" you say?
  • What happened to that bloke, I think he played on the wing for Boreham Wood and we appeared to fancy him last summer but thought he was overvalued.
  • Sponsored links:

• What happened to that bloke, I think he played on the wing for Boreham Wood and we appeared to fancy him last summer but thought he was overvalued.
    Sorba Thomas, Signed for Huddersfield.
  • Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Gomes, konsa, Shelvey, lookman we’re all unknowns when we blooded them. Look where they are now.
    if they’re good enough then get our youngsters in the team.
    Theyre going to make some mistakes but perhaps Adkins is already seeing the promise.
     I said that self same thing recently. I quoted ' If you are good enough,  you are old enough '. I then listed a lot of players back to the 1950's to show how many were really successful. 

All I got was mocking nonsense telling me I always talk rubbish. 

Let us see if you get the same criticism. 
    That's because quoting footballers back to the 1950s is not relevant to today's game. 

I included modern players and past players are relevant.  Why do u think nothing counts unless you were around at the time.
    So you don’t think the games changed in the last 50-60 years?
     Why are you asking such a stupid question. For a start it is extremely disingenuous and designed to try to pick on me. Nobody critisised others for the same view but because I extrapolated back to what you consider pre history it is irrelevant. 

Only a fool would think that. 

The phrase was , "If you are good enough you are old enough. 

Firmani in ' 51, Campbell and Reeves in '65, Paul Elliot and Paul Walsh in '81, Konchesky in '97 and Gomez plus Konsa and others in the last 5 years.

So what are you asking me. Has the game changed since Djiksteel was bloode in place of Solly.

Yes is the answer as the rules often change . But the phrase stands the test of time , a bit like your stupidity in this case 
    No but he was in his 20s and his 3rd year of men's football before he actually became our first choice right back. Bloode.
  • edited July 2021
    We've got a better starting 11 than last season, but we still lack depth. Lack of depth is what has fucked us over the past 2 seasons, so hopefully we address that before the season starts. I have no reason to believe that we won't.
  • Croydon said:
    We've got a better starting 11 than last season, but we still lack depth. Lack of depth is what has fucked us over the past 2 seasons, so hopefully we address that before the season starts. I have no reason to believe that we won't.
    We also need to find a way to reduce the number of injuries. Adkins replacing Bowyer may help that.
  • Will you lot stop bickering.

Herr Bartram has already issued a warning letter to your parents and you’d be sensible to heed its content.

You won’t be able to blame anyone but yourselves if you end up with a detention.
  • Oggy Red said:
    no news is good news......so they say  :D

Had his annual shag. 
  • Bilko said:
    Personally I don’t understand the fuss about Maatsen, he had one decent game against Donny but other than that he was average at best.

I suppose there is a case for being one year older and wiser.
    It's the De Silva effect. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    We do, not doubting that but most other teams in the division are in the same boat
  • Bilko said:
    Personally I don’t understand the fuss about Maatsen, he had one decent game against Donny but other than that he was average at best.

I think that's unfair, he was certainly inconsistent but one decent game is wrong. In fact, I don't think he even played that well against Donny, he just happened to score his only goal. He had a few blinders and I'd be confident he could really progress.

Put it this way, if Maatsen had come through our academy they'd be spunk all over this forum. He's 19, we've got players older than that who are still regarded as promising but yet to make their mark in the first team. 

I agree with you there.
    He really improved under Adkins.
    Millar and Maatsen actually started to look like a really dangerous pairing.
    Wanted a move closer to London.

• Isn’t it less about how we compare to the start of last season and more about how we compare to the end of it?

the squad at the end was potentially promotion strength. We’re a top scorer, a Maatsen and a Millar down on that squad.

I’m a bit worried about Innis. Is he going to be around much? Another ’needs looking after’ player. That’s why I think we need some cover. Bowyer not bringing in a CB last season was, for me, the single-most critical factor in us not getting in the playoffs.

I’m hoping Nigel has seen stuff in the kids that makes all this transfer tittle-tattle irrelevant.
  • edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bilko said:

What’s that? Had a much better second loan so expect him to do the same?
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bilko said:

What’s that? Had a much better second loan so expect him to do the same?
    Most, I would say almost all, players of that age improve after a year of men's football.  With Gallagher being the exception (although you could say he did still improve in his second year out on loan).

Look at the difference when we get players on their first season of loans to their second.  Obviously some just aren't good enough but Cullen, Beilik, Millar, Famewo, Field, Steer, Da Silva mk2, Leko had all played men's football before.  It makes a massive difference. 

Or other teams worked him out, as after a few weeks he was no longer an unknown quantity

You can imagine the scout reports, saying how to defend against him and how to exploit his weaknesses. The important thing is how the player improves their game to counter this, through coaching and football intelligence.
  • Maatsen was a disappointment.  
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!