Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Yann897 said:
    Southbank said:
    ct_addick said:
    We need to be careful with Sandgaard and not piss him off to the point he might become disillusioned and walk away.........even if it means another year or so  in L1 we need to face up to that fact.....
    I am fine with another year or so in league 1. My worry is that at present there is a risk of it being far worse than that (with our current squad and with an average expectations of injuries we are in a relegation fight IMO).
    You honestly believe we are on a par with the likes of Cambridge, Crewe, moreCombe, Cheltenham, Plymouth, Fleetwood?

we have had a very bad start but to say we are in a relegation fight is crazy.

here are 10 clubs who the bookies think will finish below us

https://www.bettingodds.com/football/league-one/relegation

Lets circle back on that after we play Crewe on Saturday, who helped do our playoff chances in April when we had a much better team than we have now.
    A much better team ? Aneke that’s the only real difference and they won’t have Kirk, Dale or their centre mids they had that day.
    JFC and Gilbey would make this team much better. Purrington would improve it so yes we did have a much better team. 
  • Southbank said:
    ct_addick said:
    We need to be careful with Sandgaard and not piss him off to the point he might become disillusioned and walk away.........even if it means another year or so  in L1 we need to face up to that fact.....
    I am fine with another year or so in league 1. My worry is that at present there is a risk of it being far worse than that (with our current squad and with an average expectations of injuries we are in a relegation fight IMO).
    You honestly believe we are on a par with the likes of Cambridge, Crewe, moreCombe, Cheltenham, Plymouth, Fleetwood?

Lets circle back on that after we play Crewe on Saturday, who helped do our playoff chances in April when we had a much better team than we have now.
    And so did they. One of their better players now plays for us.

if we don’t win on Saturday, we don’t get relegated 
  • Time for some constructive input 

<br>

All hair split-ists, Lied to-ists, Fatalists, Pessimists, my truth is your truth-ists, Roddy-hating-ists, Roddy-loving-ists, "Other forum" curtain twitch-ists, Foster drinking-ists, grass is greener-ists, Finger-point-ists, Shouty-shout-ists,..all of you please, kindly,

<br>

DO ONE.&nbsp;<br><br>

<b>All i want is the occasional&nbsp;rumour and Kenneth Williams JPEG. We all care and love Charlton (almost as much as we love trains). Debate if you must, but perhaps, occasionally,&nbsp;agree to disagree. Move on. Time will tell and the truth will out. There is time later for I told you so-ists.<br></b><br>Yours<br><br>PS: Looking forward to getting the medal for the least self aware comment of the year.<br>PPS: having great fun with the Format options.&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>

• I’m hoping that’s not a potential player in the back of the car, Ben Watsons brother perhaps?
    It's his dad, Ken Watson. Has even less pace than Ben but still a decent passer of the ball. Will be signed as cover for Morgan.
  • I’m hearing things are going to heat up in the next few days!!

Is that Chris Wilder in the back?
  • edited August 2021
    Yann897 said:
    Southbank said:
    ct_addick said:

A much better team ? Aneke that’s the only real difference and they won’t have Kirk, Dale or their centre mids they had that day.
    • 13Amos
    • 16Matthews
    • 5Famewo
    • 6Pearce
    • 3Purrington
    • 8Forster-Caskey
    • 26Watson,Pratley
    • 11Gilbey
    • 22Maatsen
    • 50mins Washington
    • 9Stockley Inniss
    • 27Millar Aneke
    This is the team and subs we had in April against Crewe, we will be almost half that strength on Saturday
  • edited August 2021
    With all the credit from last season, our two season tickets cost the grand total of £218. Multiplied across all ST holders, this must = less money for new players. I'm as disappointed as anyone about our start to the season but not surprised we aren't splashing the cash... but it would be nice to see some new talent coming in!
    This is all in last season’s loss to the club. They may have held the cash - or not if it was held back from them by the bank - but it was never theirs until it was exchanged for tickets or streams. 

I can understand why people are glad they didn’t have to pay out full whack for a season ticket this year but it’s not a factor for the club. Plus there were only 3,500 season tickets sold, so it affects a minority of buyers.

If player recruitment was directly based on ticket income we’d never bring in anyone as we always make an operating loss. There’s no surplus to spend. 
  • edited August 2021
    _MrDick said:
    Anyone got any rumours..or failing that maybe some puns.. B)
    Is there an ‘F’ in rumour?

There is no F in rumour
    F U NE X?
    Glad someone remembered this……The Two Ronnies of course.
    9 V A V N T N E X
  • With all the credit from last season, our two season tickets cost the grand total of £218. Multiplied across all ST holders, this must = less money for new players. I'm as disappointed as anyone about our start to the season but not surprised we aren't splashing the cash... but it would be nice to see some new talent coming in!
    This is all in last season’s loss to the club. They may have held the cash - or not if it was held back from them by the bank - but it was never theirs until it was exchanged for tickets or streams. 

I can understand why people are glad they didn’t have to pay out full whack for a season ticket this year but it’s not a factor for the club. Plus there were only 3,500 season tickets sold, so it affects a minority of buyers.

If player recruitment was directly based on ticket income we’d never bring in anyone as we always make an operating loss. There’s no surplus to spend. 
    No matter how many times its repeated it never seems to sink in.  To cover, just cover, the operational loss we would need to sell about 20,000 seasons tickets at an average price of about £400.  Then we can start paying the players wages. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Have a feeling we’re going to have something substantive to talk about tomorrow 
    What you mean why didn't we sign someone again? 

Worse than that, we sell Kirk to Millwall.
  • edited August 2021
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Not signing a left back already is criminal. However, what’s worse, far worse, is not looking to replace Aneke and his goals. How on earth can you expect to get into the top 6 when you don’t even look to replace your top scorer and most impactful player. It’s absolutely criminal.

Failure to bring in a left back is bad enough. Failure to replace Aneke is saying you’re naive and stupid enough to think you can be successful. 
    Stockley is/was the Aneke replacement. Aneke managed 15 goals across a whole season, Stockley got 8 in a half season.

Not denying we are still a body light though. We need someone to replace those Stockley goals. And ideally not wait until January to bring them in.
    Stockley was never the replacement for Aneke. We wanted both to be at the club, Aneke chose to move to The Championship.

The fact is, we haven’t replaced him and his impact and we most certainly won’t find someone this late in the window that will.

Stockley and Aneke are different players, quite simply Aneke is a better player who has struggled with fitness/minutes for a number of reasons.

We missed out on the play-offs when we had Stockley and Aneke. We haven’t got a hope in hell when we only have Stockley.
    Sure, the club wanted both and to say it how I did didn’t make a lot of sense. Obviously both were here at the same time so acting as if they were directly replacing each other doesn’t make sense.

With all that said, I just don’t think it’s quite the drama you’re making out. You would’ve been laughed off the forum if you had Aneke down for double digits this time last season. Who says Ronnie can’t be that guy this year? (LOL count just shot up I know). If it’s not him, I am expecting at least a loan arrival to walk through the door and provide those goals.

Getting a player in that has a skill set similar to Aneke’s is near on impossible. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s quick, he can score with his head and both feet. He’s only playing in the lower leagues owing to his injury history.

We just have to find someone who can chip in with enough goals. Last year we scored 70 which was one of the best returns in the league. Aneke grabbed 15, Washington 11 and Stockley 8.

If Stockley can get to Aneke’s 15, Washington back to 11, all we need from Player X (Schwartz, incoming loan, etc) is 8-10 goals.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:
    Not signing a left back already is criminal. However, what’s worse, far worse, is not looking to replace Aneke and his goals. How on earth can you expect to get into the top 6 when you don’t even look to replace your top scorer and most impactful player. It’s absolutely criminal.

Failure to bring in a left back is bad enough. Failure to replace Aneke is saying you’re naive and stupid enough to think you can be successful. 
    Stockley is/was the Aneke replacement. Aneke managed 15 goals across a whole season, Stockley got 8 in a half season.

Not denying we are still a body light though. We need someone to replace those Stockley goals. And ideally not wait until January to bring them in.
    Stockley was never the replacement for Aneke. We wanted both to be at the club, Aneke chose to move to The Championship.

The fact is, we haven’t replaced him and his impact and we most certainly won’t find someone this late in the window that will.

Stockley and Aneke are different players, quite simply Aneke is a better player who has struggled with fitness/minutes for a number of reasons.

We missed out on the play-offs when we had Stockley and Aneke. We haven’t got a hope in hell when we only have Stockley.
    Sure, the club wanted both and to say it how I did didn’t make a lot of sense. Obviously both were here at the same time so acting as if they were directly replacing each other doesn’t make sense.

With all that said, I just don’t think it’s quite the drama you’re making out. You would’ve been laughed off the forum if you had Aneke down for double digits this time last season. Who says Ronnie can’t be that guy this year? (LOL count just shot up I know). If it’s not him, I am expecting at least a loan arrival to walk through the door and provide those goals.

Getting a player in that has a skill set similar to Aneke’s is near on impossible. He’s big, he’s strong, he’s quick, he can score with his head and both feet. He’s only playing in the lower leagues owing to his injury history.

We just have to find someone who can chip in with enough goals. Last year we scored 70 which was one of the best returns in the league. Aneke grabbed 15, Washington 11 and Stockley 8.

If Stockley can get to Aneke’s 15, Washington back to 11, all we need from Player X (Schwartz, incoming loan, etc) is 8-10 goals.
    Stop gibbering.
    We haven't replaced Aneke. Period
    Ok I’ll let you be upset in peace. Have a nice evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Sage said:

Stop gibbering.
    We haven't replaced Aneke. Period
    This. Less is more sometimes
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

Um .  One shot on target in 5 games.

Yes Stockley is well on track for 15, Washington for 11 and Player X to get 10 !!!
  • I didn’t deny we’re shite. I’m not sure how you got one shot on target from five games when we’ve scored twice though!

Apparently trying to engage in a discussion isn’t welcome at the moment. Everyone needs a little breather before they give themselves an aneurysm. I’ll get back in my box until then.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

And we'll miss out on the play offs again.
    We needed/need to improve.
  • I didn’t deny we’re shite. I’m not sure how you got one shot on target from five games when we’ve scored twice though!

Apparently trying to engage in a discussion isn’t welcome at the moment. Everyone needs a little breather before they give themselves an aneurysm. I’ll get back in my box until then.
    One goal was a penalty.  Not a shot on target in open play.  A free shot when the referee decides a foul happens. 

The issue is your discussion just doesn't make sense.  EVEN if I said ok, have the penalty as a shot on target that's TWO SHOTS IN 5 GAMES!!!

Man alive that's an utterly depressing statistic thaf doesn't look like changing soon. 

• edited August 2021
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I'd argue that we didn't miss out because of our goals. We missed out because we couldn't defend.

In an ideal world, would we have three strikers that have all proven they can score goals at this level? Obviously. Do I think it's a priority? Probably not. Stockley and Washington are our goal getters this year. Pigott and Bonne are Ipswich's options, Wyke and Keane are Wigan's etc.

Much more pressing in my mind is a resolution to the left back / full back issue. We will never see promotion with Gunter, Matthews and Purrington as our full back options. Get a couple of players in like Dujon Sterling at right back, Conor Grant at left back (two names that have been mentioned on here by myself and others) and watch the team be transformed.
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

I'd argue that we didn't miss out because of our goals. We missed out because we couldn't defend.

In an ideal world, would we have three strikers that have all proven they can score goals at this level? Obviously. Do I think it's a priority? Probably not. Stockley and Washington are our goal getters this year. Pigott and Bonne are Ipswich's options, Wyke and Keane are Wigan's etc.

Much more pressing in my mind is a resolution to the left back / full back issue. We will never see promotion with Gunter, Matthews and Purrington as our full back options. Get a couple of players in like Dujon Sterling at right back, Conor Grant at left back (two names that have been mentioned on here by myself and others) and watch the team be transformed.
    It's our midfielder we need to drastically change.   Protect the ball, protect the defence and play football through the lines and the defence is better than last year.  
  • Unless we’re talking Ronaldo, this place would go up in flames if we made another signing aged over 35!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!