Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    If we go into Saturday with no senior left back again then I will begin to question how good people actually are at their job. Would be criminal.

For a loan:
    We would need Stoke to pay half his wages but if you want a LB who would be so much better than Gunter or young Roddy and at least on a par with Purrington if not better I suggest Morgan Fox.

I doubt Morgan or his dad who had some heated arguments while watching his son play because of the abuse he received would want to revisit a club that has many poor memories. Morgan is a reserve for Stoke, why would he want to come to a team 21st in League 1 ?

I loved a challenge as a salesman but that is a tough sell.

• mendonca said:
    It looks like we will be relying on loans after stating we won't be relying on loans this season.

The LB situation is just odd. At least Roddy will get a runout against Gillingham. 
    Isn’t the game going to be called off as we have 3 away on international duty?
    Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
  • sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:
    It looks like we will be relying on loans after stating we won't be relying on loans this season.

The LB situation is just odd. At least Roddy will get a runout against Gillingham. 
    Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Ghandour
  • sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Hady Gandour called up by Lebanon.
  • sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Hady Gandour called up by Lebanon.
    Would he count as a first team player though? 

If so, zero point in buying tickets for this game now. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    AndyG said:
    Anyone else feeling very worried by the complete lack of any rumours so far this week ? Surely after our start we have to make a few signings this week ?
    Said it for weeks, the silence is deafening, especially considering how short we are. 

J, block, please be more considerate to AFKA and Elfs when posting.

Cheers.
    And @Bill_Stumps
  • edited August 2021
    se9addick said:
    In hindsight there's been a few red flags for me -

- Not signing CB cover last January and continuing to play Gunter as cover.
    - Taking too long to sign Stockley last January.
    - Again taking too long to sign Stockley this summer and almost losing him to Portsmouth.
    - Not signing LB cover and playing Gunter out of position.
    - Giving Albie Morgan the number 10 shirt.

We're trying to do things on the cheap.
    But how does that tie in with signing DJ, Stockley (eventually) and Kirk?
    Perhaps we've taken a hit on other parts of the squad in order to sign those three. Maybe Thomas has a thing for attacking players? The transfer strategy up to this point is concerning though. 

The key is to get the spine of the team sorted first and build around it. A good CB, a good CM & a good striker.

We have a good centre half pairing and striker, but we've not got the quality in the middle of the park yet, this has to be the priority. I hope we're not just going to wait on Gilbey and JFC returning.
  • sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Ghandour has been called up
  • sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Why has this got a lol @ch4lton? He has been called up.  Not sure where the joke is, I was asked a question and answered it
  • edited August 2021
    I am definitely of the opinion that mistakes have been made this time around but I'm still (currently) hoping/thinking this is down to an inexperienced owner underestimating the costs/finances rather than deliberately being miserly. I think that TS will have set a budget that he did genuinely think would be competitive but (as we've seen) he was just plain wrong.

The hope we've got to have now is that he's prompted to speculate to accumulate and will accept having to spend more in order to reach the bigger heights and attendant increase in financial reward.

The complete failure to sign a left back is a genuine puzzler and no matter what he says in the press I don't think for a minute Adkins is happy that his options are either Gunter or Roddy Jr. I don't buy Roddy Sr having enough influence over the process to be deliberately sabotaging the position but it's definitely an absolute shocker that nothings been done yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Where has this been confirmed, and why would an under 23 player being called up for Lebanon affect whether the first XI game goes ahead or not?
  • I think Stockley will get 1 in 4 goals  and if we still had Aneke we would have beat Wednesday and got a draw at MK
  • edited August 2021

Q. How is this window going Steve Gallen ?

Someone stopped the clock when we should have started early
    If we miss the morning meeting our lives will be in danger
    Someone's trying to stop us, there is someone in our party
    It is someone with a grudge.

Q. So your remit have changed at Cafc ?

I felt I had to come here, I thought things would be better
    The situation's changed but I find I'm still resented
    Someone wants my job it is someone in this building
    Someone's spreading rumours and I don't feel I can stay here
    I think I'm going north and now's the time to leave
    The people there they say are good to strangers
    And if I do my best and try to settle in
    I'm sure I can be just like someone's neighbour.

Q. Sorry to hear that Steve.

Thanks to Phil Oakley and Human League.

It only takes a second to score a goal, just a second........

• sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Where has this been confirmed, and why would an under 23 player being called up for Lebanon affect whether the first XI game goes ahead or not?
    The international call up thread. There was a tweet about him and another English based player being called up.

Kennedy counted when he was called up by n Ireland I-21, kinda England u18 etc.

we couldn’t play 18 year olds at the beginning of last season as they counted towards the squad.  Surely it’s a two way street and an u-23 who has been on the bench this season and started a cup game is a first team squad player 
  • 1st choice LB, CM/CAM (ie can play both roles) and solid back up keeper and ST is the bare minimum we need. Elewere may/will make mistakes along the way, but think we should give him game time this season. If there is budget for a fourth or fifth signing, another CB and winger would be good, but looks like we are not stretching that far? Also seem to remember TS talking on 2 players for each position in the squad?

There is also the following to take into account:

22 Players
    Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players, of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player. Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Suspect the club are seeing it like this, homegrown not being an issue with the current squad make up:

Craig Mac + 1
    Matthews + Gunter
    Innis + 1/Elewere (U21, so does not count in 22 even if he gets game time)
    Famewo + Pearce
    Purrington + 1
    Dobson + Watson
    Clare + 1 (+JFC in c5 months)
    Morgan + Gilbey
    Kirk + Washington 
    DJ + Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley + Davison
    Schwartz + 1

Counting JFC in the 22, that leaves 2 slots for players over 21, the rest probably loans under that age.
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Got confirmed by the Lebanon FA

If the EFL see him as an U23 player then no the game wont get postponed.

He has however started for the First Team in both the EFL Trophy and League Cup, so should be classed as a Senior Player - He certainly would be classed as that if we were placed under an embargo again as its why we were so restricted to signings last term.
  • edited August 2021
    1st choice LB, CM/CAM (ie can play both roles) and solid back up keeper and ST is the bare minimum we need. Elewere may/will make mistakes along the way, but think we should give him game time this season. If there is budget for a fourth or fifth signing, another CB and winger would be good, but looks like we are not stretching that far? Also seem to remember TS talking on 2 players for each position in the squad?

22 Players
    Clubs in League One shall be permitted to name up to a maximum 22 Players, of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player. Under 21 players do not need to be named on the Squad List to be eligible to participate in a League Match.

Suspect the club are seeing it like this, homegrown not being an issue with the current squad make up:

Craig Mac + 1
    Matthews + Gunter
    Famewo + Pearce
    Purrington + 1
    Dobson + Watson
    Morgan + Gilbey
    Kirk + Washington 
    DJ + Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley + Davison
    Schwartz + 1

Counting JFC in the 22, that leaves 2 slots for players over 21, the rest probably loans under that age.
    You don't need to name JFC as part of your squad as you can change it in January.  Keepers don't count either.

I would say we still have 5 spaces. 
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    mendonca said:

Who's the third?

Gunter
    Washington
    _______
    Who decides which of our players will be in our 1st team squad?
    He played in several pre season games and who knows if he will be in our squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    thenewbie said:
    I am definitely of the opinion that mistakes have been made this time around but I'm still (currently) hoping/thinking this is down to an inexperienced owner underestimating the costs/finances rather than deliberately being miserly. I think that TS will have set a budget that he did genuinely think would be competitive but (as we've seen) he was just plain wrong.

The hope we've got to have now is that he's prompted to speculate to accumulate and will accept having to spend more in order to reach the bigger heights and attendant increase in financial reward.

The complete failure to sign a left back is a genuine puzzler and no matter what he says in the press I don't think for a minute Adkins is happy that his options are either Gunter or Roddy Jr. I don't buy Roddy Sr having enough influence over the process to be deliberately sabotaging the position but it's definitely an absolute shocker that nothings been done yet.
    I'm sure you're correct. TS didn't buy a third tier, loss-making football club out of the goodness of his heart or some (very expensive) ego trip - he is first and foremost a businessman (and a very successful one) and I doubt he needed telling that the only way to make it pay would be in the Premier League.  
    Agreed. The reason I say it's a hope is that it's possible he might instead go down the Duchatalet route of stripping everything down and trying to flog it.

That seems unlikely given the effort/expenditure he put in to actually buy it but it's not impossible.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    1st choice LB, CM/CAM (ie can play both roles) and solid back up keeper and ST is the bare minimum we need. Elewere may/will make mistakes along the way, but think we should give him game time this season. If there is budget for a fourth or fifth signing, another CB and winger would be good, but looks like we are not stretching that far? Also seem to remember TS talking on 2 players for each position in the squad?

22 Players

Craig Mac + 1
    Matthews + Gunter
    Famewo + Pearce
    Purrington + 1
    Dobson + Watson
    Morgan + Gilbey
    Kirk + Washington 
    DJ + Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley + Davison
    Schwartz + 1

You don't need to name JFC as part of your squad as you can change it in January.  Keepers don't count either.

Cheers, that is good to know and news to me, perhaps others. So, CB-T could be released for J F-C’s return or one of the loanees released if C B-T proved more than useful. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

22 Players

Craig Mac + 1
    Matthews + Gunter
    Famewo + Pearce
    Purrington + 1
    Dobson + Watson
    Morgan + Gilbey
    Kirk + Washington 
    DJ + Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley + Davison
    Schwartz + 1

Dempsey also counts if we keep him
  • Cafc43v3r said:

22 Players

Craig Mac + 1
    Matthews + Gunter
    Famewo + Pearce
    Purrington + 1
    Dobson + Watson
    Morgan + Gilbey
    Kirk + Washington 
    DJ + Blackett-Taylor
    Stockley + Davison
    Schwartz + 1

Cheers, that is good to know and news to me, perhaps others. So, CB-T could be released for J F-C’s return or one of the loanees released if C B-T proved more than useful. 
    Yes. 
  • First offer for Lowery turned down expect we were testing the water .. given the fact he is on strike 
    One would not expect them to sell until after Friday noon.
  • Find it really concerning now that after the response from the crowd on Saturday the powers to be haven't even appeared to make a move. Normally a few rumours surface, but not one. Even should we bring a few in now they are not going to be able to involved within the first starting 11 on Saturday, and are they even going to be match fit for the next month or so ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!