Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• A left-back is 100% more a priority than a Striker, we needed a left-back BEFORE Purrington got injured, September-January will not be good for us if we just have Purrington available, especially if the options as back up  are Chris Gunter, who is a right-back, and Jacob Roddy who is very much out of his depth,
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    A left-back is 100% more a priority than a Striker, we needed a left-back BEFORE Purrington got injured, September-January will not be good for us if we just have Purrington available, especially if the options as back up  are Chris Gunter, who is a right-back, and Jacob Roddy who is very much out of his depth,
    Purrington as well, whilst isnt someone I'd quite class as "injury-prone" but certainly has spells out with niggles - We really need to be able to protect that if it happens for longer throughout the season.

Bit like 18/19 when we just knew that Lewis Page wasnt going to last the run of games he was managing.
  • Have we “swooped” yet?
  • edited August 2021
    DDOUBLEE said:
    A left-back is 100% more a priority than a Striker, we needed a left-back BEFORE Purrington got injured, September-January will not be good for us if we just have Purrington available, especially if the options as back up  are Chris Gunter, who is a right-back, and Jacob Roddy who is very much out of his depth,
    We need both. And you are not shopping in the same aisle for left backs and strikers. No reason we should not get both unless the money has run out which would be a mistake as the squad would be complete otherwise.
  • Three signings required to rescue this, in under 2 hours, and that's giving a pass on the fact we aren't bothering with a second keeper. Let's judge when it's passed...
    Worst case two... CB and an LB, the latter is the most important for me now.
    It's been said a million times before but not signing a LB now is equivalent to not signing a CB in January. Potentially even worse given we've just paid half a million for a winger who has thrived when forming a partnership with an attacking full back. Whatever happens in the next 90 minutes a full review is required of the post-season because it has been very odd and I'm not sure even the most optimistic could say it's followed a determined strategy.
    The determined strategy has been to use the youth set up. When that hasnt worked they have had to bring in a few new players (Kirk & Lee) the fact we have then panicked and gone for a player on a 4 month contract & a 31 year old that has been injured & reportedly on a high salary (which I hear we're paying a lot towards) smacks of desperation.....but they seem to still be determined to stick with Roddy or Gunter as the left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Off_it said:
    Honestly, you guys.

I can only imagine what you were like as children on Christmas Eve.
    Well I will get my kids what I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to get them based on my personal circumstances. I’m not gonna short change them cos I am shopping on Christmas Eve cos I haven’t got round to it before then.

If my football club has crowds and a fanbase that is in excess of many clubs in the championship never mind most of league one I wouldn’t expect us to go into September with a right back at left back and no back up to our only decent striker.
  • I think we’ll sign a LB free agent and tonight will be a CB and maybe a striker
  • edited August 2021
    Off_it said:
    Honestly, you guys.

Well I will get my kids what I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to get them based on my personal circumstances. I’m not gonna short change them cos I am shopping on Christmas Eve cos I haven’t got round to it before then.

If my football club has crowds and a fanbase that is in excess of many clubs in the championship never mind most of league one I wouldn’t expect us to go into September with a right back at left back and no back up to our only decent striker.
    You do understand that despite the crowds and the fan base we make a loss before we pay any of the players wages and any transfer fees?

I am not saying we should accept things like actually not having a left back but your logic as to why is wrong. 
  • Brandon Mason was released from Coventry, London lad. Left back
  • Dizzle said:
    Brandon Mason was released from Coventry, London lad. Left back
    Doesnt have to happen today either...
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Three signings required to rescue this, in under 2 hours, and that's giving a pass on the fact we aren't bothering with a second keeper. Let's judge when it's passed...
    A striker is more important for me than a LB. Stockley gets injured and we’re buggered. Not me saying I don’t want a lb though.
    I take it you missed this evenings Josh Davison masterclass?
    Ha! I didn’t actually. Loved every single minute of it. But I have also watched all of his league cameos so far this season. I would love him to come good, but let’s be honest, that Crawley number 5 was the worst professional centre back I have ever witnessed. 

Think Davison has a role to play this season though 👍
  • Three signings required to rescue this, in under 2 hours, and that's giving a pass on the fact we aren't bothering with a second keeper. Let's judge when it's passed...
    It's been said a million times before but not signing a LB now is equivalent to not signing a CB in January. Potentially even worse given we've just paid half a million for a winger who has thrived when forming a partnership with an attacking full back. Whatever happens in the next 90 minutes a full review is required of the post-season because it has been very odd and I'm not sure even the most optimistic could say it's followed a determined strategy.
    The determined strategy has been to use the youth set up. When that hasnt worked they have had to bring in a few new players (Kirk & Lee) the fact we have then panicked and gone for a player on a 4 month contract & a 31 year old that has been injured & reportedly on a high salary (which I hear we're paying a lot towards) smacks of desperation.....but they seem to still be determined to stick with Roddy or Gunter as the left back.
    The flip side of that is 'we didn't get who we want long-term, we're building a long-term strategy, it'll take us a while and in the mean time we need cover for this season'. We've definitely missed some, but we're not going to pay over the odds, that's clear. I agree we need another left back, and striker, though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Dizzle said:
    Mason is recovering from a muscle tear training with Pompey a few weeks ago, I don’t think he would pass a medical at the moment. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Doesnt have to happen today either...
    Although after more googling it seems that he was on trial with Portsmouth, had a hamstring tear which required surgery so is expected to be out for another month or so. 
  • Any LB that comes in will be cover for Purrington I reckon 
  • Rothko said:
    Any LB that comes in will be cover for Purrington I reckon 
    Or will be more of a Wing-Back giving us a different option if ever we needed
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Off_it said:
    Honestly, you guys.

You do understand that despite the crowds and the fan base we make a loss before we pay any of the players wages and any transfer fees?

I am not saying we should accept things like actually not having a left back but your logic as to why is wrong. 
    Ok then - well if I said to my kids ‘be a good boy and Santa will get you a PS5’, I’m not gonna fuck it off for six months and then wonder why I can’t find one on Christmas Eve.
  • Rothko said:
    Any LB that comes in will be cover for Purrington I reckon 
    I don't think we will sign one.  I am mainly saying it now so we actually do. 
  • Davison scores in the Pizza Trophy. No striker needed now.
    Clare and Clayton involved…..no signings needed
    Ronnie Clayton 😯 he must be about 102 now 😉
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!