Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Tbh, anyone who comes in is gonna get a chance to prove themselves as far as I'm concerned. Whether they're 21 or 31
  • Claudio Gomes joins Barnsley on loan. 
  • So we score 6 against Crawley and suddenly the fact we have only one real proven striker on the books is not a problem!!!
  • We aint even taken our full quota of loans have we?
    Two slots left
  • If he's good, i don't care that he's 31, we need a left back for now, not for 4 year's time.
    Exactly - when Jacob Roddy can come in and only be 6 years away from a testimonial. 
  • Leuth said:
    Stewart said:
    I hope we don’t sign Lee Brown simply because LB will stand for Lee Bowyer, Left Back and Lee Brown.

My brain can’t cope with that.
    'Extinction Rebellion have shut down LB with a bus'
    Just been there, went Flat Iron
  • I don’t get this “31 is too old” argument. Players go on for a lot longer nowadays. If we get 2 or 3 years out of him, then all good. He’s a much better option than what we have on the books at the moment. Surely it’s about improving the team? 
    Also if he was ten years younger and at the supposed level he is now we would either a) not be able to get him cause bigger clubs would be sniffing or b) one good season and he’s gone.

I love signing the more over the hill players, especially in this league where its more likely they will stay 
  • se9addick said:
    All I asked for was a left back, probably the most mundane, low key, request and Charlton can’t even sort me out with that. 
    You'll take what you're given and will like it
  • One signing all day. Great.
  • J BLOCK said:
    I wouldn't be so sure this is true, at 31 definitely does go against our new recruitment policy
    I think that policy has been binned and it’s about getting bodies in at this stages
    Seen this mentioned a few times now about anyone of a certain age going against our recruitment policy, I don't think anyone at the club suggested we would only be signing young players.

My understanding was always that we were aiming for younger players in the main, but with some experienced heads as well which is pretty much what we've seen this window. Players like Kirk, Clare and Dobson fit into the younger player category and then Arter, Brown if he comes off are the more experienced pros. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If he's good, i don't care that he's 31, we need a left back for now, not for 4 year's time.
    I think what some people are saying is that the mantra for the past 3 months is that we were going to lower the age of the squad & had (before this week) been buying players that were aged under 25. Then, over the past few days, we have suddenly gone to signing 2 players aged 31. 
    I think what some people are saying is that the mantra for the past 3 months is that we were going to lower the age of the squad & had (before this week) been buying players that were aged under 25. Then, over the past few days, we have suddenly gone to signing 2 players aged 31. 
    We've gone for old and small of late!
  • mendonca said:
    One signing all day. Great.
    The next 30 minutes will be crucial.....
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
  • I wouldn't be so sure this is true, at 31 definitely does go against our new recruitment policy.
    When you are shopping in the bargain bins at the end of the sales you have to buy what's left over.

If you camp out at the start of the sales you usually get the pick of the bargains.
    Portsmouth's starting left back. Keeping Ogilvie on the bench currently.
    Then get Ogilvie.....
    Wait... So you think buying Portsmouth's first choice LB is the bargain bin?

And would prefer to sign Ogilvie who cant get ahead of him.
    You know by now mate, some people will instantly dislike almost any player linked or signed by us. 
  • edited August 2021
    Know this. I shall be using the 'things going on behind the scenes' skit when my boss starts asking me why I ain't done Fu*k all for the last month!!

Every cloud...
  • J BLOCK said:
    I wouldn't be so sure this is true, at 31 definitely does go against our new recruitment policy
    I think that policy has been binned and it’s about getting bodies in at this stages
    Seen this mentioned a few times now about anyone of a certain age going against our recruitment policy, I don't think anyone at the club suggested we would only be signing young players.

My understanding was always that we were aiming for younger players in the main, but with some experienced heads as well which is pretty much what we've seen this window. Players like Kirk, Clare and Dobson fit into the younger player category and then Arter, Brown if he comes off are the more experienced pros. 
    We just need players, regardless of age. We are so short in depth and we have 30 minutes left. It’s poor. 
  • edited August 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Brown used to live in Orpington...so should have no issue settling in to the area.

Ever present in the Pompey first 11 over the last two seasons.
    At 31 and coming from Orpington, something tells me there may be more in this deal for Lee, than what there is for the Club
    I'm 41 and from orpington and will watch with interest as this unfolds.

I feel a bond with him already. Like a mentor to him almost.
    If he turns out half the man you are Rodders, he'll be a fuckin Charlton legend  ;)
  • Why do we always take it to the wire? Every bloody window 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Brown used to live in Orpington...so should have no issue settling in to the area.

At 31 and coming from Orpington, something tells me there may be more in this deal for Lee, than what there is for the Club

If he turns out half the man you are Rodders, he'll be a fuckin Charlton legend  ;)
    Ha ha thanks mate! :-)
  • I wouldn't be so sure this is true, at 31 definitely does go against our new recruitment policy.
    When you are shopping in the bargain bins at the end of the sales you have to buy what's left over.

If you camp out at the start of the sales you usually get the pick of the bargains.
    Then get Ogilvie.....

You know by now mate, some people will instantly dislike almost any player linked or signed by us. 
    And if we sign nobody they will moan even more. I think people forget what league are in. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:

We just need players, regardless of age. We are so short in depth and we have 30 minutes left. It’s poor. 
    Sounds like the perfect way to build a squad. Don't do much for 3 months then panic buy on the last day.

But then again you all warned me that was the plan. Sweet.
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Ha ha thanks mate! :-)
    You any good at LB?
  • We’re going to have a full blown meltdown here soon aren’t we…
  • Chill. Things are happening. We can expect Brown & the Morecambe CB to be announced shortly (even if just after the window). Then any loans (I.e. a striker) after that would give us a full squad.
    Two slots left
    Got to assume we will take 2 loaness then unless Adkins has told those above that he's happy to bleed in our youngsters.
    I won't argue if that's the plan.
    At this time of the night I cant see Lavelle and two loans coming in.

Its a frustrating / bitter sweet scenario if we dont fill our quota as towards the end of the season there were a lot of complaints about people getting fed up of us signing five loans each summer as we need to build our own squad

So its good we've reduced our quota at the present.

But we still need a Left-Back
  • Rylo said:
    We’re going to have a full blown meltdown here soon aren’t we…
    Yep. And fully justified
  • Chill. Things are happening. We can expect Brown & the Morecambe CB to be announced shortly (even if just after the window). Then any loans (I.e. a striker) after that would give us a full squad.
    Have loans got to be completed by 11?
  • edited August 2021
    I wouldn't be so sure this is true, at 31 definitely does go against our new recruitment policy.

Then get Ogilvie.....

I certainly have not dissed anyone we've signed & certainly wouldn't before even seeing then play.

My ire is with the management team who have led us down this path.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!