Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

U18s vs Birmingham - playoff semi final live on YouTube 1pm

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Impressed with the quality of football both teams produced,really,if this general across our youth teams all over the country,it is a traversty we dont go on to win things at the top level.Look at the present crop of kids we have playing at international level,Mount,Foden,Rice,and so on,it seems almost impossible not to win the euros,and every trophy for the forseeable future.
    To win international tournaments you have to pick you best players on form in each position! England have never done that. You wait until the starting 11 in the Euros first game. I bet you could put together a better team by picking from players either on the bench or left at home
    Exactly. You just know that come the first game Southgate will go with Rashford and Sterling alongside Kane instead of Foden and Sancho. 
  • Options
    The quality of the passing was good to see though Mitchel playing that pass across  his own area when the Cafc lad and the Blues forward were equal distances from the ball continues to baffle me with the academy training. When my Sweeper/CB Danny was picked up by Chelsea he was constantly told to pass the ball around his own area, which was an anathema to me. I loved to see the passing of this young Charlton team( outside their own area !) going forward and the unselfish passing to the forward in the best position was great to see. Composure was good  with the goals.

Both sides played a high per centage of accurate passes to colleges, over short and long distances going forward.

Having won so many games this season you can see a very confident side at the level they play at. 

Ps. Unfortunately being one of the thousands that Chelsea have training from 6 years upwards, Danny was released when he had an injury at 14. 
  • Options
    Impressed with the quality of football both teams produced,really,if this general across our youth teams all over the country,it is a traversty we dont go on to win things at the top level.Look at the present crop of kids we have playing at international level,Mount,Foden,Rice,and so on,it seems almost impossible not to win the euros,and every trophy for the forseeable future.
    Birmingham in particular passed from the back a lot, and as a result lost the ball several times in dangerous positions, due to our high press!
  • Options
    Aren't kids playing 'Futsal' at younger ages in academies these days? They must be used to keeping the ball in tight spaces.
  • Options
    I was highly impressed with our keeper. If you compared him to their keeper, the difference was massive. Adigun looked a terrier in midfield and set up two of the goals. Barker and Henry don't look far off the first team. The Centre halves looked comfortable on the ball for big lads. I though their weakness was players running at them but they are young and learning. The left back who came on gave away the pen, but looked to have bags of potential.

I liked the Birmingham number 8, Hall. I'd definitely put him on the radar. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Thinking about Futsal which surely helps kids develop their skills massively I had a bit of a left field thought. Walking football. Not all the time of course, but in moderation I think this could help young players. It takes away attributes and forces players to develop and use skills that they may not because their pace is the go to. If they added different elements to their game they might become better players. Might also benefit playing against oldies if contact was limited.

Anyway, not really relevant to our U-18s but a general thought about youth football. When I coached, I liked poorer foot only games in training. The lads that didn't enjoy it so much were the ones that needed it most. To make it more interesting, I'd call out, left foot, right foot to switch to. I hate a player who has the ball on his/her left trying to get it on their right. Youngsters from when they start playing should be discouraged from doing this. 
  • Options
    Where was Dylan Gavin yesterday? Is he injured again?
  • Options
    I was highly impressed with our keeper. If you compared him to their keeper, the difference was massive. Adigun looked a terrier in midfield and set up two of the goals. Barker and Henry don't look far off the first team. The Centre halves looked comfortable on the ball for big lads. I though their weakness was players running at them but they are young and learning. The left back who came on gave away the pen, but looked to have bags of potential.

I liked the Birmingham number 8, Hall. I'd definitely put him on the radar. 
    I don't want to worry you but these kids are already well on the radar.

A mate of mine does some part-time scouting for professional clubs and he texted me last night to say he had watched the game on his computer and thought we had some very good youngsters.

As someone said above, the key is how can we get the very best prospects to sign a contract with us that will enable us to hold on to them for a year or two and then sell them for a realistic fee as they are still under contract. That, I suspect, will be much harder than finding the talent in the first place.
    The success of Jude Bellingham is a good advert for signing a pro deal at Birmingham. That year in the first team earned him a move to the next level, with both him and Birmingham benefiting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2021
    Great composure from Burstow for that winning goal. A lot of strikers would've rushed the shot (and probably seen the keeper block it), so it was brilliant to see him calmly go round the keeper first. 
    Burstow 2 great finishes were proper centre forward finishes. Clive Mendonca type of finishing. Some really composed passing from the team as well. Great spirit to recover from 2-2 and get the winner.

• Options
    If the final is next Saturday and we happen to win the toss, I wonder if fans will be allowed back to The Valley to watch it live?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    To win international tournaments you have to pick you best players on form in each position! England have never done that. You wait until the starting 11 in the Euros first game. I bet you could put together a better team by picking from players either on the bench or left at home.

You have a very valid point,Thats exactly what Alf did in 1966,and as a result the worlds best striker was left out  and the man in form got a hat trick.
    With our current crop of midfielders it is going to be difficult to pick the best players as we  have such a wide choice.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    To win international tournaments you have to pick you best players on form in each position! England have never done that. You wait until the starting 11 in the Euros first game. I bet you could put together a better team by picking from players either on the bench or left at home.

You have a very valid point,Thats exactly what Alf did in 1966,and as a result the worlds best striker was left out  and the man in form got a hat trick.
    With our current crop of midfielders it is going to be difficult to pick the best players as we  have such a wide choice.
    Not really. Henderson, Rice, maybe Mount. And I'm sure Southgate will squeeze Dier in somewhere 😂😂😂
  • Options
    If he squeezes Dier in somewhere with all the quality he has at his disposal we are buggered. 
  • Options
    If he squeezes Dier in somewhere with all the quality he has at his disposal we are buggered. 
    Although I was being tongue in check mate you reinforced my point that I made earlier. England managers NEVER pick on form. You wait we will start the Euros with Southgates gang. There will be more talent on the bench and left at home than is in the starting 11 imo
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Although I was being tongue in check mate you reinforced my point that I made earlier. England managers NEVER pick on form. You wait we will start the Euros with Southgates gang. There will be more talent on the bench and left at home than is in the starting 11 imo
    That's exactly what Southgate didn't do in the last world cup. Which, if memory serves me well, we didn't do to badly in.

Of course you need Henderson, Rice or a Dier in the team.  As much as people want you can't pick a midfield of Mount, Grielish and Fodan with a front 3 as well.

Sancho has scored 8 goals this season, Rashford has 23, Sterling has 10. 

Kane plays, if fit, its a no brainer but the other 3 or 4 attackers you could pick from 7 or 8 and it would piss someone off, which ever way you go. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    That's exactly what Southgate didn't do in the last world cup. Which, if memory serves me well, we didn't do to badly in.

Of course you need Henderson, Rice or a Dier in the team.  As much as people want you can't pick a midfield of Mount, Grielish and Fodan with a front 3 as well.

Kane plays, if fit, its a no brainer but the other 3 or 4 attackers you could pick from 7 or 8 and it would piss someone off, which ever way you go. 
    Dier ? Mate I would be underwhelmed if Nads announced we were signing him ! Bloke is a liability 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Rashford has scored 11 league goals and has 9 assists in 36 appearances in the league. Sancho has 8 goals and 11 assists in 25 league appearances and has created 78 chances to rashfords 52. Not seen an awful lot of Sancho but whenever I have he has looked a lot more dangerous than rashford in terms of end product and general play. He'd be spanking rashford for numbers if he was in the man u team, whereas I'm not sure rashford would have managed what Sancho has done in the Dortmund team.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Rashford has scored 11 league goals and has 9 assists in 36 appearances in the league. Sancho has 8 goals and 11 assists in 25 league appearances and has created 78 chances to rashfords 52. Not seen an awful lot of Sancho but whenever I have he has looked a lot more dangerous than rashford in terms of end product and general play. He'd be spanking rashford for numbers if he was in the man u team, whereas I'm not sure rashford would have managed what Sancho has done in the Dortmund team.
    I haven't seen him play much but I just know he is better isn't a great argument is it?

Dortmund's front 3 are probably the most sort after young players in Europe and the quality in depth of the German league is no where near as good as the Premier League.

People talk like the England manager just picks the players who play for the big clubs to just keep people happy.  The fact is the best players play for the biggest clubs and do so for a reason.

Funny enough I haven't seen a claimer from the "pick on form" crowd for Lindgard to play.  Has anyone, English, been in more form? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

I haven't seen him play much but I just know he is better isn't a great argument is it?

Dortmund's front 3 are probably the most sort after young players in Europe and the quality in depth of the German league is no where near as good as the Premier League.

People talk like the England manager just picks the players who play for the big clubs to just keep people happy.  The fact is the best players play for the biggest clubs and do so for a reason.

Funny enough I haven't seen a claimer from the "pick on form" crowd for Lindgard to play.  Has anyone, English, been in more form? 

I didn't say I hadn't seen enough, just that I haven't seen a lot, enough for me to prefer him to rashford in a wide position though.

I'd take lingard for sure. Can play anywhere across the front and works his socks off.
  • Options
    Rashford and Sancho play different roles though, so it's also down to how Southgate wants to play. Rashford is a wide striker rather than a winger, he may play on the left but cuts inside onto his right foot even more then Liam Millar
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

If you're going to count all competitions for Rashford's goals then at least do the same for Sancho. He has 16 goals along with 19 assists. That's a superb record.

I do agree with your last sentence though, he could realistically pick any 2 from Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden and Grealish in a front 3 alongside Kane and there will always be others saying he should've picked someone else. It's a nice problem to have though.

Personally on current form i want to see him go with Foden and Sancho, but i think he'll stick with the experience of Rashford and Sterling. 
  • Options
    I would say that Southgate has a lot more positive problems in selection than previous England managers. I would also say, Dier shouldn't be one of them.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

If you're going to count all competitions for Rashford's goals then at least do the same for Sancho. He has 16 goals along with 19 assists. That's a superb record.

I do agree with your last sentence though, he could realistically pick any 2 from Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Foden and Grealish in a front 3 alongside Kane and there will always be others saying he should've picked someone else. It's a nice problem to have though.

Personally on current form i want to see him go with Foden and Sancho, but i think he'll stick with the experience of Rashford and Sterling. 

I'd like to see foden play as part of a middle three personally.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
     Cracking result for the U18’s.

Why does the cynic in me hear that Bowyer is at the game, and think he’s there tapping up Galllen!

I guess we’ve got used to being ground down by disappointment!
    Bowyer wasn’t there for more than a minute before kickoff so he didn’t chat to him then.  He didn’t appear to come out for the second half so I don’t think Gallen is at risk...at the moment 

interestingly Jacko, Marshall and Basey were there but I didn’t see Nigel 

The Nigel backlash stats here.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    To win international tournaments you have to pick you best players on form in each position! England have never done that. You wait until the starting 11 in the Euros first game. I bet you could put together a better team by picking from players either on the bench or left at home
    Not necessarily.  You have to have the best team.  The prime example of that is Jack Charlton in '66.  He was nowhere near the second best English centre-back but Ramsey picked him to partner Moore.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We seem to have lost this thread to England....and gone away from our U18'S.
    With all this Southgate/Rashford and uncle Tom cobly stuff...has there been any result on where the final will be played, have they actually tossed their coin?, be nice to get back on topic and know where we are if anyone knows yet please, ta
  • Options
    We seem to have lost this thread to England....
    With all this Southgate/Rashford and uncle Tom cobly stuff...has there been any result on where the final will be played, have they actually tossed their coin?, be nice to get back on topic
    This thread is totally on topic compared to the rumours thread.
  • Options
    One more thing about picking on form.  This was the bane of Stanley Matthews's international career.  In his autobiography he complains about how there was no consistency in the England side, it was whoever had had a good couple of weeks before the next England game who got picked.