Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The good ol’ days

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I’ve got a genuine one:

Buying a house, surely this was easier/better back in the good ole days??  
    Say good ole days I mean 80s/90s, low deposits and easier to get on the ladder.
    with massive interest rates...(but yes easier to get on the ladder)
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

The good old 13.5% interest, then negative equity & being repossessed days.
    I remember it well.
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

The good old 13.5% interest, then negative equity & being repossessed days.
    I remember it well.
    I did put a ? After I made the point to be fair!  
  • Options
    Not to forget the lovely Endowment Mortgage you were sold!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Not to forget the lovely Endowment Mortgage you were sold!
    *mis-sold.  
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    That's also when we only got snowflakes in winter.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    In the good old days, I had to wear short trousers to school, Even in the winter. And I had to walk 3 miles to school and back. It used to be so cold, the insides of the windows used to freeze over. You youngsters never had it so good 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was telling my kids about my memories of getting to school in the mid 60s. The 3 of us used to take turns to wash in a bowl around the fire, where we got dressed. 

It was always so cold that a balaclava was mandatory under your parka coat as were woollens. It was nearly always foggy, but on route to school, sightings of hedgehogs and stray dogs were regular occurrences.

Balaclavas...blimey, that brings back memories 

Armed bank jobs, that’s something you don’t see much of these days.
  • Options
    The good old days when we didn’t have to wear face masks in public or sit 2m away from people in pubs 
  • Options
    One of my first memories of an English winter was lying in bed in Bromley and looking down at my jeans which were lying frozen on the bedroom floor. They were stiff when I picked them up.
    Either JS couldn't afford to have central heating installed, or he thought it was soft. Probably the latter.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    Bought my 3 year old panini stickers, 90p a pack now, back in the 90s (when I was a lad) they were 35p.  Just used online RPI and they should really only be about 70p!  

Surely we can all agree on this one..
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    se9addick said:
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
    Kids can't walk 20 yards to school now, mummy has to transport them in a massive 4x4 vehicle with mum ensuring that have a bottle of water so they don't dehydrate.
    That sounds considerably better than walking to school barefoot. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
    Nope, our parents walked bare foot to school.
    But that was rural Ireland in the 30\40’s.
    And because of that they were never in too much of a hurry to modernise.
    By the time I was going to school in the 70’s I was still waking up to ice inside the windows. Dressing in front of the gas fire listening to the Hairy Cornflake and realising my one pair of school shoes per term had already worn a hole in the sole & that until Dad could get to Woolworths to get a new sole, the cut out from the tissue box would have to do.

Was it better? I didn’t know any different but I have only fond memories of my young childhood. It was only when my siblings left & it was just myself & my parents & all my friends had moved on (central heating, video recorders etc) that it felt a bit shite tbh.
    Yeah my grandad is from Skye, grew up in a similar time period to your folks. Family members have told me he had to walk five miles to and from school everyday barefoot, I just don’t believe them. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    That's also when we only got snowflakes in winter.
    Quite the opposite, if people back in the good ole days were the ones concerned with how men or women dressed then that suggests that they are generation snowflake.
    They weren't concerned in those days. They were normal...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    I was fortunate to grow up in a relatively OK income wise working class household. My dad was a painter and decorator so was in work most of the time.  We didn't have a car, never went abroad on holiday but we had food on the table everyday and clothes and shoes to wear and I had loving parents which is most important.  And the music in the 70s was the best ever.
    Good ol' Freddie.
    And Abba too

Fortunately we had good music to drown out Queen who were considered a joke band at the time.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    I was fortunate to grow up in a relatively OK income wise working class household. My dad was a painter and decorator so was in work most of the time.  We didn't have a car, never went abroad on holiday but we had food on the table everyday and clothes and shoes to wear and I had loving parents which is most important.  And the music in the 70s was the best ever.
    Good ol' Freddie.
    Not a bad singer but I went off him after he ate the hamster. 
  • Options
    The good old days where cardigans were fashionable. 
    When have they even not been
    Button Through Stripe Knit Polo

• Options
    The good old days where cardigans were fashionable. 
    When have they even not been
    Button Through Stripe Knit Polo

Blimey you have aged,You look nothing like that now😁
  • Options
    Bought my 3 year old panini stickers, 90p a pack now, back in the 90s (when I was a lad) they were 35p.  Just used online RPI and they should really only be about 70p!  

Surely we can all agree on this one..
    Look at the price of Fredos. 😱
  • Options
    Walking home from Sherrington Road Junior School with my sister (me age 7, her 9) in a pea-souper fog around 1962 when the school was closed early. I know there wasn’t as much road traffic then but cannot imagine a school allowing that nowadays!
    I remember taking my GF (now wife) to Eltham about that time to visit someone and the fog was so thick, we both had to have our heads out the car windows to see if we could see where we were going