Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The good ol’ days

Comments

• Options
    It wasn’t 20 miles, but I walked to and from infants school in bare feet - just about everybody did at the time. I must add that this was in Brisbane, Australia and it was through choice rather than poverty - virtually every street had a grass verge (the pavement would probably burn your feet), and it was actually very nice on the tootsies. I didn’t carry on when we moved back to Bexleyheath needless to say.
  • Options
    Nits, school uniform from a jumble sale. Plastic sandals, elastics snake belts. plimsols in brown.
    Pie and Mash at Manzes in Woolwich New Rd. Film bus on Plumstead Common in the summer. Gat guns
    And bunking into the Valley... i loved my childhood!
    I always wanted a snake belt, but never got one.  What stuff did other people want but never get as kids?  

The main ones I can remember was Buckaroo which my mum (probably quite rightly) derided as rubbish and said all the bits would be missing or broken in an hour. I also wanted the Crossfire game and had to pretend to be happy when I was given Rebound. Also, and this is a strange one, I wanted our milk to be delivered by Unigate rather than the COOP, it seemed cooler for some bizarre reason.
  • Options
    I did get Crossfire after months of wheedling, and found that because the triggers were so badly moulded with a seam right where you press your finger, you'd get painful blisters within about five minutes of frantic firing.
    You didn't miss out.
  • Options
    My first job, was on a milk float that delivered milk in Barnfield Gardens, i was the tail gunner
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Nits, school uniform from a jumble sale. Plastic sandals, elastics snake belts. plimsols in brown.
    Pie and Mash at Manzes in Woolwich New Rd. Film bus on Plumstead Common in the summer. Gat guns
    I always wanted a snake belt, but never got one.  What stuff did other people want but never get as kids?  

The main ones I can remember was Buckaroo which my mum (probably quite rightly) derided as rubbish and said all the bits would be missing or broken in an hour. I also wanted the Crossfire game and had to pretend to be happy when I was given Rebound. Also, and this is a strange one, I wanted our milk to be delivered by Unigate rather than the COOP, it seemed cooler for some bizarre reason.

Love and attention from my dad but hey ho.
  • Options
    Stig said:

A Red Triang scooter. Quite a few kids down our road had one but I had to be content with an old 2nd hand bike that only had a front brake (yes, I did go over the handle bars a few times). 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    That's also when we only got snowflakes in winter.
    Quite the opposite, if people back in the good ole days were the ones concerned with how men or women dressed then that suggests that they are generation snowflake.
    They weren't concerned in those days. They were normal...
    You miss the days of respect, but also preferred it when people dressed how you think they should.

You weren’t concerned with the way people dressed, because people were all normal back then.  

So for us millennials in case this comes up in a pub quiz, which year did men/women stop being normal and start dressing like the opposite sex?
    Why don't you ask your parents
    Modern life must be so confusing for you. My comiserations.
    I manage mate, but thanks for your concern. Also, if you use long words, learn how to spell them.  It's commiserations..
    I'm not your 'mate'. I choose my friends a bit more wisely. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    This happens to every generation: https://youtu.be/BGrfhsxxmdE

Love that episode. Sadly the bands I like such as Sonic Youth and Nine Inch Nails are now in the oldies section. :/

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    In the good old days, I had to wear short trousers to school, Even in the winter. And I had to walk 3 miles to school and back. It used to be so cold, the insides of the windows used to freeze over. You youngsters never had it so good 
    You had windows in your shorts ? Blimey that's posh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The good old days when we didn’t have to wear face masks in public or sit 2m away from people in pubs 
    Maybe that's why people died young ? 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I did get Crossfire after months of wheedling, and found that because the triggers were so badly moulded with a seam right where you press your finger, you'd get painful blisters within about five minutes of frantic firing.
    You didn't miss out.
    Then you discovered masturbation and got blisters in a different way. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    That's also when we only got snowflakes in winter.
    Quite the opposite, if people back in the good ole days were the ones concerned with how men or women dressed then that suggests that they are generation snowflake.
    They weren't concerned in those days. They were normal...
    You miss the days of respect, but also preferred it when people dressed how you think they should.

You weren’t concerned with the way people dressed, because people were all normal back then.  

So for us millennials in case this comes up in a pub quiz, which year did men/women stop being normal and start dressing like the opposite sex?
    Why don't you ask your parents
    Modern life must be so confusing for you. My comiserations.
    I manage mate, but thanks for your concern. Also, if you use long words, learn how to spell them.  It's commiserations..
    I'm not your 'mate'. I choose my friends a bit more wisely. 
    Thank fuck for that...
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    @ButtleJR take your dads phone off him - he’s making himself look like an utter tit.
    No need . I have given up on this thread. I surrender.
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

Buying a house, surely this was easier/better back in the good ole days??  
    Say good ole days I mean 80s/90s, low deposits and easier to get on the ladder.
    Not forgetting the 10% interest rate.

Youngsters of today eh...🙄
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I remember the good one days of this forum when the admin would ban posters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:
    I was fortunate to grow up in a relatively OK income wise working class household. My dad was a painter and decorator so was in work most of the time.  We didn't have a car, never went abroad on holiday but we had food on the table everyday and clothes and shoes to wear and I had loving parents which is most important.  And the music in the 70s was the best ever.
    Good ol' Freddie.
    And Abba too

Fortunately we had good music to drown out Queen who were considered a joke band at the time.
    Yeah.Or a guilty pleasure band at best. My guilty pleasure was Seven Seas Of Rye. But then I liked them at Live Aid.
  • Options
    Imagine a band as talented as Queen/Freddie Mercury being seen as a ‘guilty pleasure’ or a ‘joke’ nowadays.

I’d give anything just to have any kind of guitar based music back in the charts on a regular basis. 
  • Options
    Interesting take @cafctom

I know I pull your leg about Q*e*n but there were a lot of great guitar bands then and imho better than them but like what you like, it's only rock and roll.

Like this lot for one

https://youtu.be/BMcVxWtELj0

One for @stonemuse and @JamesSeed

Didn't realise until this week that the line from Sound of Suburbs wasn't

"Youth club band wants to be free, now they want anarchy"

But

"Youth club band wants to be Free" 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    If this thread has morphed into a musical thread. 
    Then j give you the sensational Alex Harvey band.

Superb at the valley in support of the Who 
  • Options
    Who remember the winter of ‘62/63 were snow laid on the ground from Boxing Day to early April, we only had an outside toilet (also were the coal was kept) and first the first one up had to tunnel there way out through the freshly fallen snow. The ice was thick on the insides of windows and the water you took to bed at night had 1/2” of ice on it in the morning. You had to light the coal after you had defrosted the coal (leak in roof of the coal bunker the icicle was fall height). Epic snowball fights and an ice slide that went diagonally across the playground must have been a 100 yards with a brick wall to stop you, still known as the broken nose wall. You wandered off from your igloo, sorry house in short trousers (didn’t get long trousers until I was 11) and got to school your legs were blue with cold, and you cried when you started to warm up. Oh school stayed open all and every day as it was warm and hot food was available, the school milk had an inch of frozen cream on top and had to be placed on the radiators to defrost.

We were poor, no very poor, my mum as was traditional cooked a chicken (bought by nan otherwise we wouldn’t had a Christmas dinner) on Christmas Day, and also traditional through it in the pot on Boxing Day, we were still finding chicken bones in April, that chicken stew lasted over 3 months, mind you it had ox tail, wild rabbit with pellets still embedded, and anything else that was found or nicked. Vegetables for the pot become heard to get as they were frozen in the ground. We only had one room with a coal fire, oh and of course the kitchen were we could keep what was laughingly known as warm.

Now those were the good old days!
    God I do. I was 11 and remember walking to school in short trousers and the weather was so bloody cold it was unbelievable. My dad wad digging in the garden in April and struck permafrost! 
  • Options
    Interesting take @cafctom

I know I pull your leg about Q*e*n but there were a lot of great guitar bands then and imho better than them but like what you like, it's only rock and roll.

Like this lot for one

https://youtu.be/BMcVxWtELj0

One for @stonemuse and @JamesSeed

Didn't realise until this week that the line from Sound of Suburbs wasn't

"Youth club band wants to be free, now they want anarchy"

But

"Youth club band wants to be Free" 

I really like Free. Ironically enough I got into them about 15 years ago when I went to see Queen who were being fronted by Paul Rodgers at the time. Great voice.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Who remember the winter of ‘62/63 were snow laid on the ground from Boxing Day to early April, we only had an outside toilet (also were the coal was kept) and first the first one up had to tunnel there way out through the freshly fallen snow. The ice was thick on the insides of windows and the water you took to bed at night had 1/2” of ice on it in the morning. You had to light the coal after you had defrosted the coal (leak in roof of the coal bunker the icicle was fall height). Epic snowball fights and an ice slide that went diagonally across the playground must have been a 100 yards with a brick wall to stop you, still known as the broken nose wall. You wandered off from your igloo, sorry house in short trousers (didn’t get long trousers until I was 11) and got to school your legs were blue with cold, and you cried when you started to warm up. Oh school stayed open all and every day as it was warm and hot food was available, the school milk had an inch of frozen cream on top and had to be placed on the radiators to defrost.

We were poor, no very poor, my mum as was traditional cooked a chicken (bought by nan otherwise we wouldn’t had a Christmas dinner) on Christmas Day, and also traditional through it in the pot on Boxing Day, we were still finding chicken bones in April, that chicken stew lasted over 3 months, mind you it had ox tail, wild rabbit with pellets still embedded, and anything else that was found or nicked. Vegetables for the pot become heard to get as they were frozen in the ground. We only had one room with a coal fire, oh and of course the kitchen were we could keep what was laughingly known as warm.

Now those were the good old days!
    God I do. I was 11 and remember walking to school in short trousers and the weather was so bloody cold it was unbelievable. My dad wad digging in the garden in April and struck permafrost! 
    Blimey, I was beginning to think I was the only one still left alive who remembered that winter. Another thing I will never forget is the smell of wet woollen socks and gloves, being dried out on the school radiators, gloves were wet because of the epic snowball fights, socks because the holes in the sole of your shoes and being sandals they weren’t very suitable. My Nan actually brought me some proper shoes in the February.
  • Options
    Blimey, I was beginning to think I was the only one still left alive who remembered that winter. Another thing I will never forget is the smell of wet woollen socks and gloves, being dried out on the school radiators, gloves were wet because of the epic snowball fights, socks because the holes in the sole of your shoes and being sandals they weren’t very suitable. My Nan actually brought me some proper shoes in the February.
    I don’t really remember 62-63, although I’ve seen some photos of me on the doorstep looking out on a snowdrift where a front garden used to be. When I was at school the compensation for an icy day was that the school milk turned up frozen which made it like a milk flavoured lolly, highly recommended.