Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The good ol’ days

Comments

• Options
    Another thing that often gets overlooked is bar codes (or the lack of).  They only really came in to usage during the mid 70s.  Every item used to be rung up individually before then, it could take an age to get served.  Bar codes are good.

I read recently that Amazon have several stores where you can go in, get what you want and simply leave - somehow your account is debited as you depart the shop.  Dunno exactly how that works, but some serious surveillance going on - maybe a step too far?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    As an apprentice mechanic in 1965 I made 1s11d an hour. Those were the days.
  • Options
    In 1968/9 I was a trainee draughtsman, I earned £2/week and my mum took 10 shilling (50p). I couldn’t go to university as I had to go to work to bring money in for the family. Thought that was harsh but in the end worked out well for me, ended earning far more than anyone else in my year, when I was 21 I was earning triple what people who cam out of university.
  • Options
    I’ve got a genuine one:

Buying a house, surely this was easier/better back in the good ole days??  
    Say good ole days I mean 80s/90s, low deposits and easier to get on the ladder.
    Not forgetting the 10% interest rate.

Youngsters of today eh...🙄
    I remember when my mortgage rate went down to 10%!
    Kids today dont know how lucky they are to live in a broken world economy. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    cafctom said:
    Interesting take @cafctom

I know I pull your leg about Q*e*n but there were a lot of great guitar bands then and imho better than them but like what you like, it's only rock and roll.

Like this lot for one

https://youtu.be/BMcVxWtELj0

One for @stonemuse and @JamesSeed

Didn't realise until this week that the line from Sound of Suburbs wasn't

"Youth club band wants to be free, now they want anarchy"

But

"Youth club band wants to be Free" 

I really like Free. Ironically enough I got into them about 15 years ago when I went to see Queen who were being fronted by Paul Rodgers at the time. Great voice.
    Never used to like Free but I think they're All right now.
    I didn’t like them either until my brother Jake got me into them. 
  • Options
    Interesting take @cafctom

I know I pull your leg about Q*e*n but there were a lot of great guitar bands then and imho better than them but like what you like, it's only rock and roll.

Like this lot for one

https://youtu.be/BMcVxWtELj0

One for @stonemuse and @JamesSeed

Didn't realise until this week that the line from Sound of Suburbs wasn't

"Youth club band wants to be free, now they want anarchy"

But

"Youth club band wants to be Free" 

Bloody hell, I never knew that either and I love that song! 
  • Options
    I asked my Mum and Dad about the good old days, and they both agreed that they weren’t that good. In fact my Dad said they were shit. Nostalgia tends to blot out the bad times and concentrate on the good things.
  • Options
    Interesting that when people talk about their childhoods in the 60s or 70s, a theme that comes up a lot if that their Mum was at home or worked part time and their Dad was hardly ever there as he worked full time and did all the overtime he could and you were still lucky if you had a week on holiday in a caravan at Sheerness. 

Food was pretty much always prepared from raw ingredients as well, and the staple carb was potatoes, so that's why your Mum usually only worked part time at most. Rice and dried pasta were only used in puddings, the only other pasta you ate came out of a tin.
    There's both good and bad in that - you'd get better food than now, but it's a lot of work particularly if your Mum doesn't enjoy cooking and lugging enough potatoes to feed a hungry family back from the shops
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Interesting that when people talk about their childhoods in the 60s or 70s, a theme that comes up a lot if that their Mum was at home or worked part time and their Dad was hardly ever there as he worked full time and did all the overtime he could and you were still lucky if you had a week on holiday in a caravan at Sheerness. 

Food was pretty much always prepared from raw ingredients as well, and the staple carb was potatoes, so that's why your Mum usually only worked part time at most. Rice and dried pasta were only used in puddings, the only other pasta you ate came out of a tin.
    There's both good and bad in that - you'd get better food than now, but it's a lot of work particularly if your Mum doesn't enjoy cooking and lugging enough potatoes to feed a hungry family back from the shops
    All of the above,
    and you ate what you were given.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Agree with a lot of that but not sure food was better then.

Lots of tinned food, fewer fridges and even fewer freezers, sugar in everything.  Smash instead of mash.

Lots of meat and two veg meals and lots of leftovers or cheap cuts when money was short.

Vesta meals and Angel delight not really healthy but fewer takeaways, no microwave meals either.

And I still love pineapple chunks/rings which is what we got. A real pineapple? What's that?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I clicked like Ray cos there’s no ‘I wish I could give you a cwtch’ button.

Roll on a few years & replace a few names & I could have been reading my own story ❤️
  • Options

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Imagine a band as talented as Queen/Freddie Mercury being seen as a ‘guilty pleasure’ or a ‘joke’ nowadays.

I’d give anything just to have any kind of guitar based music back in the charts on a regular basis. 
    I have mentioned before that I was offered a ticket to see the Beatles at either Woolwich or Lewisham, but after seeing their first appearance on a children's TV show, decided not to bother. You live and learn
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    As an apprentice mechanic in 1965 I made 1s11d an hour. Those were the days.
    In 1960 I started as an apprentice in the print industry on £2.15.6, it had gone up 3d that week because a rise in the cost of living.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

No supermarkets, just local shops
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    rananegra said:

for local people...
  • Options
    I clicked like Ray cos there’s no ‘I wish I could give you a cwtch’ button.

Roll on a few years & replace a few names & I could have been reading my own story ❤️
    The more I talk the easier it gets, my life is fecked up but if just one person sits up and says "Its not my fault" the jobs a good'un.
    Ah, the good ol'days. Lol 
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Got canned spaghetti on toast for dinner once in a while, and beans on toast often.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    rananegra said:

for local people...
    With half day closing on Wednesday or Thursday.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    ross1 said:
    rananegra said:

for local people...
    We still have that here in West Cork (pre Covid obvs)
    And d’ya know what?
    The world still turns 🤷‍♀️😂😂
  • Options
    After my first two years as an apprentice I was making a whopping 2/6d an hour, got myself a 100E van for 7 pounds, that was living.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    ross1 said:
    rananegra said:

for local people...
    We still have that here in West Cork (pre Covid obvs)
    And d’ya know what?
    The world still turns 🤷‍♀️😂😂
    My local pet shop in Dartford still closes half day on a Wednesday 

And of course back in the day pubs were 11am to 3pm, reopened 6pm to 11pm, but on Sundays it was 12 til 2, then 7 to 10.30 - in my Sunday football team, on a Sunday we would get pissed up in the pub, and then go to local carvery to carry on drinking (with food of course) until we could get back in pub at 7 - every Monday I had a horrendous hangover 😃
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    After my first two years as an apprentice I was making a whopping 2/6d an hour, got myself a 100E van for 7 pounds, that was living.
    Same as mine, but I paid a bit more
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    limeygent said:
    Same as mine, but I paid a bit more
    Had my first "romance" in the back of that van, those really were the good ol' days.
  • Options
    There were undred and fifty of us living in shoe box in middle of road.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    There were undred and fifty of us living in shoe box in middle of road.
    the middle of the road? We dreamed of the middle of the road...
  • Options
    I was an apprentice mechanic, earning £7.15p a week, (1973) 3 day week and all that crap. First car was a Ford Anglia 105E   896DUS paid £5, for it, Wash, Polish, Moody MOT sold it to an ex-girlfreind from Springfield Grove £30, Then sold her brother an 2000E Corsair with a cracked block for £50. Them was the good old days!