Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The good ol’ days

Comments

• Options
    The good old days where cardigans were fashionable. 
    When have they even not been
    Button Through Stripe Knit Polo

Blimey you have aged,You look nothing like that now😁
    I know. Now you've made me cry : - (
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
    Nope, our parents walked bare foot to school.
    But that was rural Ireland in the 30\40’s.
    And because of that they were never in too much of a hurry to modernise.
    By the time I was going to school in the 70’s I was still waking up to ice inside the windows. Dressing in front of the gas fire listening to the Hairy Cornflake and realising my one pair of school shoes per term had already worn a hole in the sole & that until Dad could get to Woolworths to get a new sole, the cut out from the tissue box would have to do.

Was it better? I didn’t know any different but I have only fond memories of my young childhood. It was only when my siblings left & it was just myself & my parents & all my friends had moved on (central heating, video recorders etc) that it felt a bit shite tbh.
    Yeah my grandad is from Skye, grew up in a similar time period to your folks. Family members have told me he had to walk five miles to and from school everyday barefoot, I just don’t believe them. 
    Why would they lie? 🤷‍♀️
    I have pictures of both my parents as kids barefoot.
    Rural communities, especially like Skye were very poor.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I think people make up the “we used to walk 20 miles to school in our bare feet” stuff. 
    By the time I was going to school in the 70’s I was still waking up to ice inside the windows. Dressing in front of the gas fire listening to the Hairy Cornflake and realising my one pair of school shoes per term had already worn a hole in the sole & that until Dad could get to Woolworths to get a new sole, the cut out from the tissue box would have to do.

Was it better? I didn’t know any different but I have only fond memories of my young childhood. It was only when my siblings left & it was just myself & my parents & all my friends had moved on (central heating, video recorders etc) that it felt a bit shite tbh.
    Yeah my grandad is from Skye, grew up in a similar time period to your folks. Family members have told me he had to walk five miles to and from school everyday barefoot, I just don’t believe them. 
    Why would they lie? 🤷‍♀️
    I remember my dad telling me that children in Woolwich had no shoes and that was when he was at school in the 1930s.

He remembered Empire Day and how the children were told they were part of the empire on which the sun never sets and to give a penny to the poor people in the colonies.  His thought was why in the capital of this great empire are they children with no shoes?

But it was the good old days and men were men and dressed like it so everything was fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    You could never see a finer sight than my younger brother and I resplendant in matching C&A tank tops!

The 70's
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Walking home from Sherrington Road Junior School with my sister (me age 7, her 9) in a pea-souper fog around 1962 when the school was closed early. I know there wasn’t as much road traffic then but cannot imagine a school allowing that nowadays!
    I remember taking my GF (now wife) to Eltham about that time to visit someone and the fog was so thick, we both had to have our heads out the car windows to see if we could see where we were going
    You had a car? Wow  ;)
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Walking home from Sherrington Road Junior School with my sister (me age 7, her 9) in a pea-souper fog around 1962 when the school was closed early. I know there wasn’t as much road traffic then but cannot imagine a school allowing that nowadays!
    I remember taking my GF (now wife) to Eltham about that time to visit someone and the fog was so thick, we both had to have our heads out the car windows to see if we could see where we were going
    You had a car? Wow  ;)
    Yes, I was 17, it was an old Ford Thames van, cost me £50, which I borrowed off my dad and paid him back monthly
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Why would they lie? 🤷‍♀️
    I remember my dad telling me that children in Woolwich had no shoes and that was when he was at school in the 1930s.

He remembered Empire Day and how the children were told they were part of the empire on which the sun never sets and to give a penny to the poor people in the colonies.  His thought was why in the capital of this great empire are they children with no shoes?

But it was the good old days and men were men and dressed like it so everything was fine.
    Our parents had to keep their best clothes & only shoes for mass.
    Along with any spare money.
    Thankfully Ireland has moved on.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    The good old days. When people respected each other. 
    Oh, it was also when women dressed like women and men dressed like men...

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    That's also when we only got snowflakes in winter.
    Quite the opposite, if people back in the good ole days were the ones concerned with how men or women dressed then that suggests that they are generation snowflake.
    They weren't concerned in those days. They were normal...
    You miss the days of respect, but also preferred it when people dressed how you think they should.

You weren’t concerned with the way people dressed, because people were all normal back then.  

So for us millennials in case this comes up in a pub quiz, which year did men/women stop being normal and start dressing like the opposite sex?
    16th century, 17th. Take your pick.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

Yeah!  Back when we had respect, but no respect for women dressed like men and men dressed like women.
    Quite the opposite, if people back in the good ole days were the ones concerned with how men or women dressed then that suggests that they are generation snowflake.
    You miss the days of respect, but also preferred it when people dressed how you think they should.

You weren’t concerned with the way people dressed, because people were all normal back then.  

So for us millennials in case this comes up in a pub quiz, which year did men/women stop being normal and start dressing like the opposite sex?
    16th century, 17th. Take your pick.
    Bunch a snowflakes these 17th century types!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

Why don't you ask your parents
  • Options
    The older generation(s) are responsible for the upbringing and values of the younger generation(s) in terms of the "Kids today tut eye roll" rhetoric. 

There's goods and bads about modern life. 

From a UK perspective there's more equality and access to equal opportunity for everyone than ever before.

There is less poverty, child mortality etc globally than ever before albeit there are still universal gulfs in quality of life.

Life is generally safer and crime rates lower.   Less wars. Better healthcare, more leisure options etc and general better standard of living.

The media, social and mainstream, would often have you thinking the opposite and that we are living in a post apocalyptic dystopia and it's never been so bad.

Culturally I think that we are in a particularly poor period in terms of superficiality and lack of soul compared to what has gone before but that is probably me just being old and doing my bit in the cycle of shaking your head at the yoof cultural tastes and activities which has probably been a perpetual thing since time began.

I shake my head at the "swagger" of tik tok/insta wallies but no doubt the older generation did the same when i was idolising oasis in my formative years with Liam bowling about like a drugged up orangutan in a Kappa cagoul.

The worst excesses of social media are probably a bad negative but on the flipside it brings a lot of positivity in terms of potentially connecting 7 billion people at the touch of a button and holding the powers that be more accountable than at any time in history (theoretically anyway).

Skinny jeans on blokes are shit though.

Agree with all that apart from the last line! You should have seen what I sent out in on Saturday nite x
  • Options
    Nits, school uniform from a jumble sale. Plastic sandals, elastics snake belts. plimsols in brown.
    Pie and Mash at Manzes in Woolwich New Rd. Film bus on Plumstead Common in the summer. Gat guns
    And bunking into the Valley... i loved my childhood!
  • Options
    Fatty was in the Bash Street Kids, he's now been renamed Freddie so as not to offend the larger children.
  • Options
    What not wearing a cow pat?
  • Options
    I dont know when the good old days started or ended but there is one constant in life;
     Charlton will mostly struggle.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

Modern life must be so confusing for you. My comiserations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

I would imagine they’d ask the same questions mate, so again which year did humans stop being normal and dress like the opposite sex?  Or to make it simpler, which year were cross dressers invented?
  • Options
    We dont do serial killers like the good ol days.
    No way, the 70s were pinnacle, Son of Sam and Ted Bundy docs on Netflix are must watch.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The older generation(s) are responsible for the upbringing and values of the younger generation(s) in terms of the "Kids today tut eye roll" rhetoric. 

There's goods and bads about modern life. 

From a UK perspective there's more equality and access to equal opportunity for everyone than ever before.

There is less poverty, child mortality etc globally than ever before albeit there are still universal gulfs in quality of life.

Life is generally safer and crime rates lower.   Less wars. Better healthcare, more leisure options etc and general better standard of living.

The media, social and mainstream, would often have you thinking the opposite and that we are living in a post apocalyptic dystopia and it's never been so bad.

Culturally I think that we are in a particularly poor period in terms of superficiality and lack of soul compared to what has gone before but that is probably me just being old and doing my bit in the cycle of shaking your head at the yoof cultural tastes and activities which has probably been a perpetual thing since time began.

I shake my head at the "swagger" of tik tok/insta wallies but no doubt the older generation did the same when i was idolising oasis in my formative years with Liam bowling about like a drugged up orangutan in a Kappa cagoul.

The worst excesses of social media are probably a bad negative but on the flipside it brings a lot of positivity in terms of potentially connecting 7 billion people at the touch of a button and holding the powers that be more accountable than at any time in history (theoretically anyway).

Skinny jeans on blokes are shit though.

And this has always been the case.

In "A history of respectable fears" by Geoffry Pearson he says that every generation looks back to a period, usually around 30 years before, when things were better, kids more polite, society more safe and respectful, etc, etc

The four Yorkshiremen sketch posted above was filmed in 1967.  So that is 54 years ago.  They were mocking the older generation of those days ie people who grew up before WW2 who were saying how bad it was then and that kids don't know they're born now.  But it is still funny know because different versions of it are still heard now.

But many children of the 60s, of which I am one, look back to then as the perfect time and complain that kids now are rude, the music is rubbish, the clothes terrible etc etc.

Thus it will ever be.

Socially, we still have lots of issues, here and around the world but in many ways these are the best and safest times to live.  We face terrorist threats from fundamentalist but in the 70s we had the IRA, in the 1940s London was being bombed night after night.

100 years ago you would be grateful if you had a job as there was an economic recession and no welfare state but you'd made it through the first world war (bar the wounds and the "shell shock) and survived the Spanish flu.  (at least your local team had just been elected to the football league and you could see big teams like Exeter and Gillingham at the Valley.)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-f4jNeAhKg

• Options
    No way, the 70s were pinnacle, Son of Sam and Ted Bundy docs on Netflix are must watch.

Sutcliffe and Nilsen would be spinning in their graves at that comment. They went about their business quietly in a good old British reserved manner. No showboating at their trials either. Bundy and Ramirez thought themselves celebrities. 

• Options

Sutcliffe and Nilsen would be spinning in their graves at that comment. They went about their business quietly in a good old British reserved manner. No showboating at their trials either. Bundy and Ramirez thought themselves celebrities. 

Fair point, the latter used to make a cuppa for his victims too.
  • Options

Fair point, the latter used to make a cuppa for his victims too.
    ...and watch TV with them. They didn't know of course, because they were dead. Not sure the good old days were quite as good...
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:

Modern life must be so confusing for you. My comiserations.
    I manage mate, but thanks for your concern. Also, if you use long words, learn how to spell them.  It's commiserations..
  • Options
    Didn’t realise we had so many supporters up north!!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

https://youtu.be/uv6M05zDINo
  • Options
    This happens to every generation: https://youtu.be/BGrfhsxxmdE