Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever had the urge to flirt with a team next door..?

Comments

• Options
    Dartford is my "second" team. I wouldn't go and see them regularly though if Charlton folded
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I used to watch Coventry a fair bit when I was a student at Warwick in the late 70’s. They had a good team at the time and were pushing for a place in Europe. I still have an affection for them apart from when they are playing us.

Since moving to Wales a few years ago, I have seen a few Cardiff games with my brother in law without feeling any great affection for the Bluebirds. However, I have also been to watch Wales play and the atmosphere, especially at competitive games, is brilliant. I think I would choose Wales over England in international games now.

• Options
    No, if Charlton did not exist I doubt I could be bothered to go and watch another club.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Often wished I'd grown up in a one club city like Newcastle or Leeds (but not Leeds) when all your mates would support the same club.

Yeah I've absolutely felt this in the past. Win a cup as a one club city, and it must be like when England are winning in WCs/Euros.

Felt like my entire school was Palace at times, and certainly a lot of my mates are. I would rather football was entirely discontinued as a sport rather than support them though.
  • Options
    My family are from Stockport so always keep an eye on their results and try to watch them if they play down South. Hoping they get through the playoffs.
  • Options
    No, if Charlton did not exist I doubt I could be bothered to go and watch another club.

Same here.
  • Options
    My great grandad was a docker and Millwall through and through, he took me to games when I was a little nipper. I decided on Charlton long after he passed away. I still retain a grudging respect for the mangy Lions. Over the past five years or so, I have seen a lot of games at Rotherham and Scunthorpe as well as a few at Leicester and Lincoln, usually when Charlton are at home. I only get to London a few times a year and prefer away games in the north and midlands. It's good to watch other teams from a totally neutral standpoint. It also gets me out the house on winter weekends
  • Options
    Living on the Isle of Wight a lot of friends support either Pompey or Southampton,  been to a few games over the years and just can't get any excitement for the game at all, unlike watching Charlton I'm close to a heart attack for 90 minutes. So I guess if Charlton were not around it would be local Island football for me.
  • Options
    Slough Town or Dulwich Hamlet are who I’ve been to see play most during the Duchatelet and Covid eras.
  • Options
    No way could I ever support another league side if Charlton went under. 
    Non league for me.
    Cray wanderers to be exact. 
    Just walked past their Chairman outside The Partridge in Bromley.....a palice fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd groundhop non-league.

On the pro circuit, Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Options
    It would have to be my local team the Snailbeach White Stars
  • Options
    When Barnet played at Underhill I would sometimes go with friends as it was only a ten minute walk and we all had them as our second team. The reality is that whilst I celebrated goals, the result didn’t affect my mood at all, which is a bit of a giveaway.  
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Often wished I'd grown up in a one club city like Newcastle or Leeds (but not Leeds) when all your mates would support the same club.

Yeah I've absolutely felt this in the past. Win a cup as a one club city, and it must be like when England are winning in WCs/Euros.

Felt like my entire school was Palace at times, and certainly a lot of my mates are. I would rather football was entirely discontinued as a sport rather than support them though.
    I'd rather they discontinued.
  • Options
    No. If there was no Charlton I would not be able to feel the same about another club. I have never been to see another game when Charlton are playing. Have had lots of opportunities living 10 minutes walk from Carrow Road, but if Charlton were playing same time I would feel unfaithful. Very irrational l know but I couldn't do it! Far too distressing it would be!!
  • Options
    This is becoming a bit of a Catholic  therapy session, and why not..?
    When I first arrived in England, I was obsessed with John Barnes and use to journey all the way from Streatham (Valley road...) to Watford, just to see the way he use to move with the ball at his feet. But never fell for the team - nice enough as they were...
    Then one sunny afternoon at Selhurst park saw this bunch of nobodys in red drawing 0:0 against Oxford united, and something happened, it wasn't love at first sight, or 2nd or 30th, but it was me.
    It was like looking in the mirror. 
    addicted.
    So yes, I may fantasize about the Orient, but always come home to eat...
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    When Barnet played at Underhill I would sometimes go with friends as it was only a ten minute walk and we all had them as our second team. The reality is that whilst I celebrated goals, the result didn’t affect my mood at all, which is a bit of a giveaway.  
    Exactly. Barnet are fairly near me also. If I watch them, I want them to win but I'm not bothered if they don't, when compared to the pain of watching Charlton lose...
  • Options
    Torquay Utd for me.
    Same for me. Really hope they can win the play offs.
  • Options
    No, if Charlton went I’d walk away from football entirely. 

It’ll all be pointless
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Although if everyone supported Charlton who would we sneer at , just non league weirdos,  they’re a different species 
  • Options
    No Charlton , no football .
  • Options
    I remember when “Kid” David Jensen was a QPR supporter. That’s the type of person who flirts with other clubs. 
    The lowest act a football supporter could ever do. If you’re club goes so do you.
    As for watching local non league, I’d rather not. It ain’t that good or entertaining.
  • Options
    In order of games watched, other than us obviously, Bournemouth would be top. I used to get to maybe 9 or 10 games a season with mates, usually mid-week, and have regularly been at Dean Crt with <3000 others when they were proper rubbish and knocking about in Div 2. I probably saw more Bournemouth games than many of the Johnnie Come Latelys who claim to be lifelong supporters now. 

I like to see them doing well but I'm a million miles away from the emotional attachment to our lot and there's zero chance I'd ever follow them properly for any reason.

After that it's West Ham, due to family connections and proximity, but also leading to my lifelong hatred of them. Then Orient, who I used to see a few times a season as they were just up the road. Then I even used to get to Roots Hall a couple of times a year.

When I think of it I used to spend a fair bit of time and money watching teams other than us. I just enjoyed football - less so now tbf. But it is never the same and I couldn't see myself ever making the swap to another team, even if we weren't around any longer. 
  • Options
    Was Welling but switched to Wealdstone. 
    Will never switch Charlton mind 
  • Options
    Could the mods please merge this thread with this one?  
  • Options
    In order of games watched, other than us obviously, Bournemouth would be top. I used to get to maybe 9 or 10 games a season with mates, usually mid-week, and have regularly been at Dean Crt with <3000 others when they were proper rubbish and knocking about in Div 2. I probably saw more Bournemouth games than many of the Johnnie Come Latelys who claim to be lifelong supporters now. 

I like to see them doing well but I'm a million miles away from the emotional attachment to our lot and there's zero chance I'd ever follow them properly for any reason.

After that it's West Ham, due to family connections and proximity, but also leading to my lifelong hatred of them. Then Orient, who I used to see a few times a season as they were just up the road. Then I even used to get to Roots Hall a couple of times a year.

When I think of it I used to spend a fair bit of time and money watching teams other than us. I just enjoyed football - less so now tbf. But it is never the same and I couldn't see myself ever making the swap to another team, even if we weren't around any longer. 
    Serial cheater 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    KettsJohn said:
    Far too distressing it would be!!