Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever had the urge to flirt with a team next door..?

Comments

• Options
    used to not mind Gravyends but the name change (it was never know as Gravyends but anyway) lost a bit of my affection. when Steve Brown and Gritt with Varney were there i became interested once again. They sacked Brown and then built that shite stand and all was lost for me. 

so, that was my only flirt with another team. apart from anyone who goes up against Millwall any given week. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Can't be too fussed about Welling but Bexleyheath CC nextdoor is one of my favourite places to play cricket, so there's that?
    Just been hit into Welling United, so this may no longer be true 
  • Options
    I have only ever been to Charlton.

Despite living within walking distance of Billericay’s ground, the only time I have ever been there was about 5 years ago when Charlton played a pre season friendly against them.
    Indeed a couple of years ago when Billericay were said to be the Manchester City of non league football a few of my neighbors started to go. But I still couldn’t be bothered to join them.
  • Options
    Haven’t honestly thought about this, but did go and watch my cousin’s lad a few times when he was playing for Carshalton and they were playing around here (Cray, Greenwich Boro). He’s at Merstham in the Isthmian League at the moment, so probably them now. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Haven’t honestly thought about this, but did go and watch my cousin’s lad a few times when he was playing for Carshalton and they were playing around here (Cray, Greenwich Boro). He’s at Merstham in the Isthmian League at the moment, so probably them now. 
    Nice little ground is Merstham.
  • Options
    I have only ever been to Charlton.

Despite living within walking distance of Billericay’s ground, the only time I have ever been there was about 5 years ago when Charlton played a pre season friendly against them.
    Indeed a couple of years ago when Billericay were said to be the Manchester City of non league football a few of my neighbors started to go. But I still couldn’t be bothered to join them.
    Do you have a spare programme?
  • Options
    After Charlton, the most games I've seen have been at Dulwich or Arsenal. I can buy into Dulwich a bit more as it's more of a laugh, but I don't care in the same way I care about Charlton's results.
    Have a soft spot for Cheltenham through family connections, but I want us to beat them home and away next season just like I want us to beat everyone else.
  • Options
    Although if everyone supported Charlton who would we sneer at , just non league weirdos,  they’re a different species 
    You've met @ElfsborgAddick then?
  • Options
    There are lots of families out there that share loyalties..my grandad on my mums side supported millwall and I like to see them do well...dt get me wrong cafc come first by a long way...as for that Croydon club they can rot in hell
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Step Dad is Tranmere through and through so follow their results. Shame they lost in the semis.
  • Options
    Mum bought me an Arsenal school bag when I was about 9. Wasn't into football at that stage.
    A couple of years later cycled down to watch a pre season game at Erith & Belvedere. Was meant to be a celebrity game with Dennis Waterman playing but he didn't turn up!
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Mum bought me an Arsenal school bag when I was about 9. Wasn't into football at that stage.
    A couple of years later cycled down to watch a pre season game at Erith & Belvedere. Was meant to be a celebrity game with Dennis Waterman playing but he didn't turn up!
    Come on, he writes and sings, you don’t expect him to play as well?
  • Options
    If there was to be no more Charlton, then it would be Leicester City, that goes back to my Navy days, when, my one time  "going ashore" mate supported Leicester.  One particular boosy night we made a solemn pact with each other that our second teams would be Leicester for me and Charlton for him.  I have been faithful to my pledge, I wonder if he has?
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Was down The Winchester with Arthur.
  • Options
    If the unimaginable happened and Charlton were no more then I’d probably go and watch a few Scarborough Athletic games. I used to occasionally go and watch Scarborough FC when they had their brief moment in the Football League as I had a couple of mates who were die hard Sea Dogs and it was always a good laugh. Had my one and only arrest on a trip to Bootham Crescent, home of York City, with Scarborough after it got a bit tasty in the city centre. I wasn’t fighting I was just incredibly pissed and belligerent and a copper took a dislike to me. Looking back I was being a massive twat.
  • Options
    I could never muster the same enthusiasm for another league club if charlton didn't exist. My family are from Exeter, so I've always followed them too, but only really for days out on the lash! I grew up going to Crawley Town in the 80s, but since they moved out of the town centre (and got into the league) its a soulless experience tbh. I like non league as an afternoon out, and have been going to Haringey Borough and Three Bridges over the last couple of years, but its hard to make a real connection with these teams. Its just a nice experience and a chance to have a few drinks and watch a bit of football. 
  • Options
    My soft spot team, Torquay, are into the National League play off final. Would be nice to have them back in the league. Perhaps they could even knock us out of one of the cups next season. 
  • Options
    Would be Woking (I have lived relatively close to them on two occasions) or Aberdeen (lived there from 1982-86) when Ferguson was still in charge for most of that time. Went to a few of the European nights at Pittodrie with guys from work and there was a great atmosphere.
  • Options
    WTF !!!

"....with the team next door ?"

I can only handle one member at a time ! 

( Clearly new to this thread & only read the title) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been to Sittingbourne FC a few times over the last couple of years, due to 1). now living down here and 2). boycotting CAFC. When I lived in sunny Sydenham used to go to The 'amlet on the occasional Saturdays. 
    Bournemouth always been my 2nd team due to grandad taking me there in the 70's.
  • Options
    Bromley but only if Charlton were no more
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Bromley but only if Charlton were no more
    Plastic palice, Bromley, not you!
  • Options
    I’ve moved oop north so will be looking for the regular live football experience for my boys when they’re a bit older. Choices of Bolton (where I now live), Rochdale (my brother in laws team), Man United (my best mates team, also I once got confused and thought my grandad played for them), or maybe even Salford (I work in Salford, my wife’s grandad actually did play for them)

But when Charlton come knocking on those nearby away days, and when the boys are a bit older and can travel down to the valley every so often, we’ll have a proper team to go and support. 

Just think, we’ll be doing so well in 5-10 years time that all the kids at their school will think they’re glory hunters 😂
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    I’ve moved oop north so will be looking for the regular live football experience for my boys when they’re a bit older. Choices of Bolton (where I now live), Rochdale (my brother in laws team), Man United (my best mates team, also I once got confused and thought my grandad played for them), or maybe even Salford (I work in Salford, my wife’s grandad actually did play for them)

But when Charlton come knocking on those nearby away days, and when the boys are a bit older and can travel down to the valley every so often, we’ll have a proper team to go and support. 

Just think, we’ll be doing so well in 5-10 years time that all the kids at their school will think they’re glory hunters 😂
    Bury AFC, Ramsbottom United or Altrincham?

Do they appeal?
  • Options
    No......but I've tempted to flirt with the woman next door 😉😊.
  • Options
    Welling for me. Grew up couple of minutes from the ground and spent a lot of my childhood summers at there football school.  
    I went to Bexley Grammar & used to get off the 89 or 96 outside the ground & walk down Roseacre. Caught the bus going home from the bus stop on the other side of the road. 5 years & they still mean nothing to me. I'm a one club only man. Sadly not the same when it comes to wives....
  • Options
    Dartford are my non league team, so if Charlton folded, I'd be following them. There is no one in the league to replace Charlton - football logic means if I went to Millwall or palice I'd be supporting the opposition. I had a period at college back in the eighties where I did a bit of groundhopping - went to Crockenhill, Northfleet, Cray Wanfderers and Erith & Belvedere among others, but there was no real excitement as i really didn't care who won - I was usually near someone with a radio waiting for the bad news (and we'll go to Nottingham, where Nott's County have just notched a third against Charlton...) but watching other clubs doesn't feed the monkey. Remember that last minute winner Makienok scored against Hull? If that had been Leicester v Hull, the excitement and happiness would have been toned down by approximately 100%. Supporting your team is what brings something extra to the game, and I think it's why a lot of people who dislike football don't plug in - they don't care who wins and are immediately outside the bubble.
  • Options
    So you want me to flirt with Arsenal?
    As Spurs, I feel like a child of Josef Fritzl.  Just when you think you've escaped their dark dungeon, they go and win another bloody trophy, then another.  There's no chance in this lifetime I'd 'flirt' with the enemy.

* disclaimer - probably not the best analogy, apologies for any offense/distress caused...
  • Options
    The Orient... always fancied their Agatha Christie's flavour. Kept it secret, and still do pretty well, but am I the only one..? Have you ever...? Not necessarily with the 'O's Just for a tiny moment? 
    Will I burn alone...?
    I used to go to the odd Os game when Charlton were away. Always enjoyed it and wish them success.