Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite national anthem

Italian by a mile for me.. 

Comments

• Options
    Wales for me.
  • Options
    Italian by a mile for me.. 
    Yep , mine too , was gonna say the same thing.
  • Options
    after FOS, the Chile national anthem as I always picture Zamorano belting it out in 1998
  • Options
    The French, German and Russian ones are good
  • Options
    Surprised that the Brazilian anthem hasnt had a mention

Up there with the Italian for me
  • Options
    Liechtenstein's... Just not sure on the words
    Germany used to have the same tune, too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I suppose I was focusing on Europe - the Brazilian one is very uplifting.
  • Options

I suppose I was focusing on Europe - the Brazilian one is very uplifting.
    Was just watching one YouTube video on them, didnt realise the Dutch National Anthem actually pays homage to another country - Translated at one point the words say: "To the king of Spain I've granted - A lifelong loyalty."

This was because the Netherlands were under Spanish rule when it was written and they've never bothered to change it.
  • Options
    France/Germany dead heat first - Wales third.
  • Options
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...

'I vow to thee my country' for me.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    France or Italy. Quite like the Scottish one as well. 
  • Options
    I agree on Italy.

France and Germany are good too.

Ours is dreary, let's be honest.

I think it's Vietnam's or somewhere that is brilliantly violent, all "for too long we've been quiet, now we're ready to f*ck you up" stuff.  
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Finland, Finland, Finland the country I most like to be......Pony Trekking or camping, or just watch TV, Finland, Finland, Finland, Its the country for me.

Your so near to Russia, so far away from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Your so often neglected, and often sadly ignored, a poor second to Belgium, when going abroad
  • Options
    French is my favourite. 

And Japan's is my least favourite - any Chinese person will say it sounds like funeral music 🤣🤣🤣
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Never understood the criticism of the English anthem. The moment where it goes into the powerful key change of “Send her victorious” always feels massive. Nothing dreary about it at all. 

I'm not sure there's much wrong with the tune, and the drum roll at the start is instantly recognisable. It's just that there are better tunes (and better words).
  • Options
    Italian for me, followed by a quick sprint in the opposite direction...
  • Options
    Italian tanks - 1 gear forwards, 8 in reverse 😉
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Never understood the criticism of the English anthem. The moment where it goes into the powerful key change of “Send her victorious” always feels massive. Nothing dreary about it at all. 
    Because it's not English for a start, it's British. And it is slow and dreary for most of it, especially the start. I look forward to the day we move on from it. Though I wont hold my breath as the powers that be are always sycophants hoping to get on the honours list.

French the best for me. 
  • Options
    Italian tanks - 1 gear forwards, 8 in reverse 😉
    And the forward gear is there in case they’re attacked from the rear
  • Options
    Yep, Italian, make a point of being ready pre match to listen when they are playing. 
  • Options
    I think England should adopt Jerusalem and God Save the Queen should be for Great Britain as in the Olympics. It seems odd that the other home nations have their own for individual competitions and we don't. Jerusalem is miles more stirring but I suppose we can talk with Red Red Robin being our song :)
  • Options
    Wales - absolutely monumental.
  • Options
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
    Take the city too and we got a deal. We'll throw Tel Aviv in for free, just leave Beer Sheva alone (best Couscous on earth)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Wales - absolutely monumental.

Especially sung by 80,000 at The Millennium Stadium.

That said, Flower of Scotland sung at a full Murrayfield is pretty damn stirring!