Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite national anthem

Comments

• Options
    Waltzing Matilda is Australia’s unofficial national anthem.  Does that count?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Jerusalem would get players and fans 10x more pumped than GSTQ
    I accept my position on this as objectively wrong, but after the queen has died I'd keep it for royal events, commonwealth games and such (although I guess it'd be "GTSK")

For UK/GB events have "I vow to thee my country" and for England events have "Jerusalem".

Good thing I'm not king/emperor I guess, but I would make it illegal to beat Charlton as well - so that lot from The Toolbox would be locked up pretty sharpish (if they're not already)!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The players look like they struggle with the words to God Save the Queen

They dont stand a chance with Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory!!

Too much emphasis gets put on singing the National Anthem, let them concentrate as best as possible on the game ahead rather than the prospect of what is almost an X-Factor audition
  • Options
    I like Jerusalem a lot, but it is long, and would need de godding in an England which is majorly non religious 
  • Options
    I’ve heard the Welsh in full voice against England in football (MS) and Rugby (Wembley but their home game) -  overrated esp for their biggest game.

Heard Scotland in full voice against England at Hampden. No denying it was impressive but then it’s the biggest game of their life’s.

France impressed me in the Rugby vs England at the Stade de France. In fact their home rugby support pissed all over their home football support.

For me GSTQ of course, it may be this and that but it’s ours and that’s all that matters to me and on rare days - Euro 96 quarter final and at Twickenham etc - it can be impressive.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I accept my position on this as objectively wrong, but after the queen has died I'd keep it for royal events, commonwealth games and such (although I guess it'd be "GTSK")

For UK/GB events have "I vow to thee my country" and for England events have "Jerusalem".

Good thing I'm not king/emperor I guess, but I would make it illegal to beat Charlton as well - so that lot from The Toolbox would be locked up pretty sharpish (if they're not already)!
    Think we should make you the Emperor on this bit alone

Sod needing to know what your points would be on more important factors like Education and Healthcare.

ALL HAIL EMPEROR YONI, ALL HAIL EMPEROR YONI
  • Options
    Cricket support sing it but no chance our football fans or players would know or could remember the words? But I agree in an ideal would as it’s a fantastic song.
  • Options
    I also like Advance Australia Fair and the Star Spangled Banner if we’re going global
  • Options
    GSTQ is stirring coz it is ours but is a shit song - don't like the words 'long to reign over us' - poke it - i'd much prefer jerusalem or land of hope and glory 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
     1. Russian/Soviet. 
    2. French
    3, Italian
    4, Welsh
    5. Scottish 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t get the Italian hype.
    Takes far too long to get going, then goes on for far too long zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    I used to play a lot of rugby against Welsh teams and whenever they would sing their anthem we’d replace the 1st line of the chorus with ‘Wales! Wales! Bloody great fishes are Wales’. Sounded much better. 
  • Options
    The old East Germany national anthem for me.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why only the first verse is sung on out national anthem and not all 5?
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Do you mean the one from “Top Secret”? Because that’s awesome… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUdL0CGgOU 😂
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Do you mean the one from “Top Secret”? Because that’s awesome… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUdL0CGgOU 😂
    I love that film!!!
    But no, meant the real one.
  • Options
    I would have to pick the Dutch one if only because I remember being in a hotel bar late at night attending a conference. For reasons I cannot recall, the Brits at the conference taught the Dutch attendees our National Anthem and the Dutch taught us the words to their National Anthem. This took a long while. Needless to say, the Dutch learnt the words to ours first, The drunken evening ended with both ‘teams’ belting out their own National Anthems in unison. If you were staying in the Hilton, Amsterdam that night, I am truly sorry.
  • Options
    I reckon the french should have Ravel's Bolero as their anthem. All 18 minutes of it
  • Options
    GSTQ undoubtedly the best, but of the rest La Marseillaise is fantastic 
  • Options
    Ours is a tuneless dirge with bad lyrics. 

Verse 2 is better: O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter our enemies,
    And make them fall!
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all!

I mean I could live without the religious bit but confounding and frustrating people sounds like my kind of passive aggressive fun.

And verse 6 about crushing rebellious Scots would be fine by me for next Tuesday... 

Best though, well like the Welsh, French and russian ones for a good rousing tune
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    24 Red said:
    Russia

/thread
    Yes, Russia.

As for God Save the Queen - the title alone contains two things I don't believe in. Does it even mention the Nation? 
    The Russian anthem mentions god too. Also:

“We are given strength by our fidelity to the Fatherland.”

I would imagine the many Russians living on the borderline of poverty while working in factories might not believe in that either! 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Those who like GSTQ probably think Ed Sheeran is better than the Beatles
  • Options
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
     We live in England though . Plus too religious  for many. I like it though 
    I don"t think many people understand Blake's text - it's anti organised religion and arguing in favour of change. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Love it when people get the arse about others liking GSTQ. It's an unnecessary anger that is automatically , and strangely, manifested in some.

At the end of the day they're all songs with very little meaning (in this day and age) or relevance, so not really worth getting worked up about.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Rothko said:
    I know your comment is likely tongue in cheek, but what makes you suggest that? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    IdleHans said:
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
    A very long rhetorical question to which the answer is 'no'
    That's just the first verse! Second begins BRING ME MY SPEAR and shit gets REAL
    Can't believe that on this board of pedants, nobody corrected me here
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:
    It's a lot of tongues in cheek, but some of the others mentioned are stirring patriotic tunes about the values of the country, ours is a nod to know your place. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:
    It's a lot of tongues in cheek, but some of the others mentioned are stirring patriotic tunes about the values of the country, ours is a nod to know your place. 

I'd suggest Rule Brittania is more stirring but can't see the words making it appealing in the current climate. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:

I'd suggest Rule Brittania is more stirring but can't see the words making it appealing in the current climate. 
    There is that, but also it's a song about Britain not England. 
  • Options
    Are there many/any other anthems like GSTQ that is centred around a person instead of the land?