Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite national anthem

124»

Comments

• Options
    French, Welsh & Jocks are my favourites
  • Options
    I think the South African one is the only one I'd actually listen to outside of an event. I'm not fond of GSTQ and would go for Jerusalem as specifically English - it actually mentions England unlike most of the other options that are British. And it means different things to different people which is not a bad thing for an anthem of a mixed country. 
    Like the Spanish having no words, but it's not particularly memorable in the way that the Marseillaise is.  The singing of the anthem seems to have more weight now, I suppose because anyone not singing with sufficient gusto will be attacked on social media. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:
    Those who like GSTQ probably think Ed Sheeran is better than the Beatles
    I know your comment is likely tongue in cheek, but what makes you suggest that? 
    It's a lot of tongues in cheek, but some of the others mentioned are stirring patriotic tunes about the values of the country, ours is a nod to know your place. 

I'd suggest Rule Brittania is more stirring but can't see the words making it appealing in the current climate. 
    There is that, but also it's a song about Britain not England. 
    So is GSTQ.

• Options
    I stand corrected but GSTQ is the anthem of the United Kingdom. Unless of course you are like toy boy Macron and believe NI is a different country. Never understood why the why national teams are labelled GB and not UK. Although they are sometimes called GB&NI but most commentators drop the NI. Anyway despite it not being PC I would prefer the English anthem to be Land of Hope & Glory.  
  • Options
    I usually mute the national anthems, especially ours. 

• Options

My wife attempts to mute me when I start singing along to Flower of Scotland!

'You're not Scottish' she shouts, to which I reply, 'I beg te differ'.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My wife attempts to mute me when I start singing along to Flower of Scotland!

'You're not Scottish' she shouts, to which I reply, 'I beg te differ'.
    She should gag you with your sporran.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I suspect they think Black Lace are better than the Beatles!
  • Options
    Here is the national anthem of Lichetnstein. Sounds familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYsJ81Omgs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    IdleHans said:
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
    A very long rhetorical question to which the answer is 'no'
    That's just the first verse! Second begins BRING ME MY SPEAR and shit gets REAL
    Can't believe that on this board of pedants, nobody corrected me here
    I spotted it, but liked the fact that you seemed to have improved the lyric there. It does fit, after all.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Rothko said:
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:
    I know your comment is likely tongue in cheek, but what makes you suggest that? 
    It's a lot of tongues in cheek, but some of the others mentioned are stirring patriotic tunes about the values of the country, ours is a nod to know your place. 
    If we replaced GTOQ with any of the other ones mentioned, there will still be people complaining or suggesting that anyone who sings it is a simpleton or overly nationalistic etc.

One day when England win a major tournament it’s going to wind up a lot of people - home and abroad. Can’t wait for it.
  • Options
    GSTQ is ok, not the best, not the worst. In its favour

1) It's short - many anthems seem to go on for ever
    2) It's easy to sing
    3) The "der der der der" section all football fans can sing in the middle

In reality England ought to have its own anthem. At the Commonwealth games we use Jerusalem as the anthem when we win gold medals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGO91iIL1A
  • Options
    Jerusalem is a good tune but the lyrics are a load of old nonsense. Much like 'La Marseillaise.'

Impure blood, victorious queen, God, Jesus. 

None of it represents today's society. Then again, I'm not sure I'd like a song reflecting our society now either.

On account of that I'd vote for 'Vindaloo' as it's rousing, easy to sing, and great fun. Just for a further laugh maybe we could change it to 'rosbif' as that would be great self-deprecating humour. 😃
  • Options
    Jerusalem is a good tune but the lyrics are a load of old nonsense. Much like 'La Marseillaise.'

Impure blood, victorious queen, God, Jesus. 

None of it represents today's society. Then again, I'm not sure I'd like a song reflecting our society now either.

On account of that I'd vote for 'Vindaloo' as it's rousing, easy to sing, and great fun. Just for a further laugh maybe we could change it to 'rosbif' as that would be great self-deprecating humour. 😃
    The lyrics to Jerusalem are hardly nonsense in context of when they were written and they make more sense than a lot of anthems. 
  • Options
    One of my favourite scenes in one of my favourite movies is the one in Casablanca, when the Nazi's in Rick's bar break into song, only for Victor Laszlo to lead the patriots in a rousing rendition of La Marseillaise and drown them out.
    So, I'll probably go with the French (spit)
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Never understood the criticism of the English anthem. The moment where it goes into the powerful key change of “Send her victorious” always feels massive. Nothing dreary about it at all. 
    Pedant alert - it’s not a key change 
  • Options
    Billy Connolly.

"We come from Jerovia and we don't give a shit"
    "We've got a national debt of 16 squillion pounds and we don't give a monkeys"

• Options
    Hard to beat the Italian anthem. Always think that Flower of Scotland is spine-tingling when Sunday at max volume before a big rugby/football fixture.

Honourable mention for 'Ireland's Call' - not officially a national anthem but the anthem adopted by the rugby team (I.e. the unified island of Ireland rather than Northern/Republic). https://youtu.be/W2rRzvsZJfM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    holyjo said:
    cafctom said:
    Never understood the criticism of the English anthem. The moment where it goes into the powerful key change of “Send her victorious” always feels massive. Nothing dreary about it at all. 
    Pedant alert - it’s not a key change 
    La Marseillaise has one, alas it still didn't brake the lock...
    https://youtu.be/nifspyswb-8
  • Options
    Good one Lenny.  Made my day 😀