Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite national anthem

Comments

• Options
    When the blue, blue Lions come growl, growl, growling along?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Wales - absolutely monumental.

Especially sung by 80,000 at The Millennium Stadium.
    I learnt it to be one of those when I went there to watch Wales v Scotland at the 6 Nations.
    OMG it was wonderful 🤩🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I learnt it to be one of those when I went there to watch Wales v Scotland at the 6 Nations.
    OMG it was wonderful 🤩🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I bet it was - hairs on the back of the neck moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think England should adopt Jerusalem and God Save the Queen should be for Great Britain as in the Olympics. It seems odd that the other home nations have their own for individual competitions and we don't. Jerusalem is miles more stirring but I suppose we can talk with Red Red Robin being our song :)
    Dont England use something different at the Commonwealth Games?

Might well be wrong but if so it raises the question even more why England dont use something different to the British anthem.
  • Options
    I think England should adopt Jerusalem and God Save the Queen should be for Great Britain as in the Olympics. It seems odd that the other home nations have their own for individual competitions and we don't. Jerusalem is miles more stirring but I suppose we can talk with Red Red Robin being our song :)
    Dont England use something different at the Commonwealth Games?

Land of hope and glory.
  • Options
    Brazil and the French. 
  • Options
    C'mon.  You know the English national anthem should be "swords of a thousand men" by Ten Pole Tudor!
  • Options
    C'mon.  You know the English national anthem should be "swords of a thousand men" by Ten Pole Tudor!
    This or Vindaloo...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

That said, Flower of Scotland sung at a full Murrayfield is pretty damn stirring!
    This. And I don't think England should sing the British national anthem - get their own!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Never understood the criticism of the English anthem. The moment where it goes into the powerful key change of “Send her victorious” always feels massive. Nothing dreary about it at all. 
    Is she playing instead of Kane on Friday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're coming to take me away- North Korea
  • Options
    They're coming to take me away- North Korea
    Very funny.

On a more serious note, I really look forward to the day we get a unified Korea - hopefully in my lifetime - and we get the wonderful Arirang as an anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OUt3IFlzk 
  • Options
    Russia

/thread
  • Options
    Russia

/thread
    Yes, Russia.

As for God Save the Queen - the title alone contains two things I don't believe in. Does it even mention the Nation? 
  • Options
    24 Red said:
    Russia

/thread
    Yes, Russia.

As for God Save the Queen - the title alone contains two things I don't believe in. Does it even mention the Nation? 
    I get the point about God but I don't think there is any doubt the Queen is real.
  • Options
    South African anthem a great one too - watched rugby there once and great sound 
  • Options
    Wales for me
  • Options
    Most of the Swiss didnt seem to know theirs or be arsed to sing it - fair play to the Italians, without exception (players and fans) singing with a bit of passion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Italian 
  • Options
    The only good version of GSTQ was the version that LOCOG switched to after a few days of London 2012, they sped up the second half a bit and made it less ponderous.

as for the best Russia, Italy, France and Wales 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    The only reason this didn't get a promote was that I thought people would accuse me of flippancy. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    after FOS, the Chile national anthem as I always picture Zamorano belting it out in 1998
    The Chilean national anthem in the 2014 World Cup v Spain was the greatest moment in human history, especially when the music stopped and the crowd carried on. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My worst nightmare.
  • Options
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
    A very long rhetorical question to which the answer is 'no'
  • Options
    South African anthem a great one too - watched rugby there once and great sound 
    The words are in 5 of the the 11 official languages
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Would love to see Jerusalem as our national anthem...
    A very long rhetorical question to which the answer is 'no'
    That's just the first verse! Second begins BRING ME MY SPEAR and shit gets REAL
  • Options
    Jerusalem would get players and fans 10x more pumped than GSTQ