Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    Well most goalkeepers like roasting their defenders
  • Options
    Well most goalkeepers like roasting their defenders
    Il grab ur coat for u…🤔…

😉
  • Options
    Someone should hook him up with Carlton Cole, he liked a roast.
  • Options
    Was not convinced at all by some of his early performances for us but, like many in the squad, has really come into his own in time, particularly since Jacko took over.

I still prefer a keeper that wants to come and deal with crosses but the next best thing is one who just stays on his line and backs his shot stopping. It worked well for Deano and at least defenders know what to expect and can play accordingly. It’s the erratic keepers that cause the biggest issues. 

Couple of big saves again today, and I’m getting that sense of confidence in him that he will bail us out if they do get past the back 3. 

Seems a good egg too. 
    A Scotch egg ? 
  • Options
    That was a great Schmeichel type save today!
  • Options
    A couple of quality saves today. Hopefully he'll become a legend..
  • Options
    A couple of quality saves today. Hopefully he'll become a legend..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Important saves today at crucial times but modern goalkeepers don’t seem to go for the ball at corners or free kicks , is it a coaching thing I wonder
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    I think the back four being an unstable mess at the beginning of the season unsurprisingly unsettled him. He's looked solid since the change and is a top shot blocker. And with the ball at his feet he's been better since the change too.
    I think Jackson's formation suits him too - Pearce loves to fight for the ball which means McG doesn't have to come for as much, and with Lavelle/Clare and Famewo being more technical defenders it gives him good options for passing out short.

None of which is meant to denigrate his own improvements mind you as he definitely has looked a lot more like the keeper we thought we were getting recently. 
  • Options
    Good point people are making about MacKeeper's (cheers, @Briston_Addick :smile: ) improvement, now playing behind a settled back line. Of course, a keeper is one part of the entire defensive unit.

He's principally a defender too. Also it's his job to command his box, both physically and verbally.

If the communication is good together between all players in the defensive unit, then everybody in it knows their job, what each other is doing and dealing with a situation.

Well that's the theory anyway! :smile:

• Options
    He didn't fluff any kicks yesterday which was good to see! 

Funny how many are scoring him a 7 yday, while others asked why he only got a 6 V Ipswich when didn't have a single save to make.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    mendonca said:
    He didn't fluff any kicks yesterday which was good to see! 

Funny how many are scoring him a 7 yday, while others asked why he only got a 6 V Ipswich when didn't have a single save to make.

I gave him an 8 because as Jackson said in the dressing room they have Craig Mac to thank for the two vital saves especially the save at 1-0 when it had goal written all over it from where I was sitting.
  • Options
    Barlaser will get that. 4 goals from midfield in december,good going that.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Well deserved too I'd say. Doubt he will win but the recognition will be appreciated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Congrats Big Mac!
  • Options
    Great news on both fronts!
  • Options
    Seems to look assured and settled, then a mistake leading to a direct goal. 

Some consistency needed.
  • Options
    Yesterday was the first game since the first month he’s had a dodgy game. Everyone is allowed the odd moment. I’m confident in him and he’s up there in the top 3 players this season.
  • Options
    Not his best game yesterday, bad mistake for the first goal. That said I thought defensively we looked all at sea for a lot of the first half. 
    As others have said, one off day doesn’t make him inconsistent.

He will earn us far more points than he will cost us.
  • Options
    Starting to loose a bit of faith in Big Mac tbh after the last couple of games. That fumble for the 1st goal yesterday was a simple catch. He dropped a similar clanger in the 2nd half too, but wasn't punished. He wasn't helped by the fact we were all over the place defensively for large parts of the game, but being able to come and catch the ball occasionally is pretty important for a keeper!
  • Options
    Over all I think he’s a decent keeper apart from never coming out and claiming corners or free kicks which enter the 6 yard box