Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    Good shot stopper and seems to be a likeable fella but does not command his area at all. Rarely ever comes for anything putting huge pressure on our defenders. 

Equally poor with his feet and tends to hold the ball too long. I noticed a couple of times yesterday when our CBs preferred to kick the ball out for a throw well into our half rather than pass back to him. 

We need way better next season to challenge.  Hopefully AMB is decent.
    This.

He's a good keeper and an excellent shop stopper. But in my opinion he's far from being a top draw keeper because of his reluctance (or is it inability) to come out and claim crosses, something vital in this league with teams throwing in crosses to big guys up front. How many times does the ball fly dangerously across our penalty area because he does not come out to claim it?

We've been lucky to have many top quality keepers over the last few years. Sorry but in my opinion MacGillivray doesn't come into that bracket. And like the poster above if AMB comes back and looks the business, I hope he gets a run out next year.

• Options
    Good shot stopper and seems to be a likeable fella but does not command his area at all. Rarely ever comes for anything putting huge pressure on our defenders. 

Equally poor with his feet and tends to hold the ball too long. I noticed a couple of times yesterday when our CBs preferred to kick the ball out for a throw well into our half rather than pass back to him. 

Yeah, I noticed this too. Famewo did it several times when a simple passback was on. Just heaped more pressure on us. Seems like a good character, and has had some good games, but I'm not convinced.

Problem with AMB is that we've put him in the shop window. His contract is running down, so if he does get in the team next season and does well he'll be off somewhere better
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    2 Poor games but he has won me over this season and they didn't cost us.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think he’s the worst first choice we’ve had for some time.  Likeable guy, ok shot stopper but his box patrol is really poor and his distribution is average .  Granted, we’ve have very strong keepers for several seasons, even in our bad years 
    Few weeks back he was up for league one player of the month .. and Pompey POTY last year …. 
    People need to stop and think the conditions yesterday were awful for defenders and keepers .. the Wimbledon keeper did not look to see either 

he was clearly fouled fir the first and he made a great save in the 92nd min to get us the points 

he an excellent keeper ..
    He ran into the back of the Wimbledon player, fell and dropped the ball. He should have done better for the Portsmouth goal.

he has been above average but we should be looking for better
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

I think he’s the worst first choice we’ve had for some time.  Likeable guy, ok shot stopper but his box patrol is really poor and his distribution is average .  Granted, we’ve have very strong keepers for several seasons, even in our bad years 
    Few weeks back he was up for league one player of the month .. and Pompey POTY last year …. 
    People need to stop and think the conditions yesterday were awful for defenders and keepers .. the Wimbledon keeper did not look to see either 

he was clearly fouled fir the first and he made a great save in the 92nd min to get us the points 

he an excellent keeper ..
    He ran into the back of the Wimbledon player, fell and dropped the ball. He should have done better for the Portsmouth goal.

he has been above average but we should be looking for better
    Not been great in the last couple of games and doesn't command his box. We can do better.
  • Options
    Not my favourite player and one I would like to see replaced close season.  Agree with all the posts above re his penalty box presence. Nice guy but we can do better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasn't impressed me so far . Too many errors going back to Oxford away where he twice pushed the ball back to an opposing player  who the scores . At MK he showed the whole goal to Parrott who duely scores , the peashooter in the last minute at Shrewsbury.  Should have saved the shot at Pompey and was at fault for their first goal yesterday.  To be fair he has had 2 or 3 MOM performances.  Doesn't command his area and kicking  a bit hit and miss . Decent character but needs to up his game for the rest of the season  .
  • Options
    Worth noting that since JJ took over, we have the second best defence in the league. Conceding 12 goals in 16 games. Only Rotherham is better. Of course, that’s down to the entire defence, but MacGillivray is a big part of it. 

Agree with a lot of others, that it doesn’t help his case that we’ve had some superb keepers play for us over past few years in league one and championship. 
  • Options
    Those who have reservations about Mac, I share them.
    But Henderson was such dogshit when he deputised I was relieved to welcome Mac back.
    Feel more relaxed when Stockley is around to clear those high balls into the area
  • Options
    and he has a newborn baby
  • Options
    His lack of command of the penalty box puts too much pressure on the defence.
    I think that is why we play such a high line when defending free kicks, which just seems to be making matters worse.
    He does make some good saves but then so do all goalkeepers. 
    He has improved from the early games this season but is still far below what is required. 
  • Options
    Sorry but totally had enough of his inability to come for crosses. 

How can a professional keeper never leave his line to come for a cross? It's ridiculous.

Add a new keeper to whom we need next year. 
    This 100%. This is the reason for us conceding so many from corners, including today
  • Options
    I thought his lack of coming for crosses on his debut was nerves but he really is terrible at commanding his area. Keepers have been one of our strong points for a while but definitely not the case this season.
  • Options
    Does it come down to ability or coaching, or just a bit of both?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really hope AMB can step up personally, make or break season for him and I'd love for us to give him a bit of faith! The little I have seen I've been impressed by! 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Best option, in my opinion, is a keeper who comes and deals with crosses and takes the pressure off defenders.  

Next best, and MacG has generally fitted into this category, along with Dean Kiely who was the best Charlton keeper in my lifetime so far, is a keeper who is an excellent shot stopper and stays rooted to his line backing himself to stop any shots/headers that come in. 

The worst option is a keeper who sometimes comes and sometimes stays put as it creates confusion in a defence. 

Last few matches, and today, MacG has been doing the latter and it’s not good. If he’s not comfortable with crosses he should just stay put. It didn’t help that today we had only Innis in the side with any kind of height. We miss Stockley a lot when defending set pieces. 
  • Options
    As much as I'd rather have a keeper who comes out and claims crosses @Exiled_Addick is right. Its far worse having someone who sometimes comes and sometimes doesn't, that causes mayhem 
  • Options
    I know he was free but the black box got this one wrong .  It’s a pity Hendo wasn’t great in the games he played as I think fundamentally he’s a better keeper 
  • Options
    I notice that Harness is having rather a mixed time at Dulwich Hamlet, judging by the football I see on DHTV.
    I have always rated him, and I hope his Hamlet experience is good for learning and experience, even at that level the football presents challenges.
    I don’t think Craig is as good as Deano.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    seth plum said:
    I notice that Harness is having rather a mixed time at Dulwich Hamlet, judging by the football I see on DHTV.
    I have always rated him, and I hope his Hamlet experience is good for learning and experience, even at that level the football presents challenges.
    No chance Craig is anywhere near Deano at the moment.

He’s going through a sticky patch at the moment, like he did when he first joined us.

Trust me having a new kid takes it toll, I can remember when my first son was born , falling asleep in the staff room at work at lunch time, I was so knackered staying up at night to feed my son.

Craigs doing the same thing at the moment, except he’s doing it on the pitch!
  • Options
    It's not just the crosses, his distribution is awful as well. 

Can't even claim that he's a great shot stopper, as he's conceded plenty of goals this season that he should have kept out. Portsmouth's goal the most recent example 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    No chance Craig is anywhere near Delano at the moment.

He’s going through a sticky patch at the moment, like he did when he first joined us.

Trust me having a new kid takes it toll, I can remember when my first son was born , falling asleep in the staff room at work at lunch time, I was so knackered staying up at night to feed my son.

Craigs doing the same thing at the moment, except he’s doing it on the pitch!
    He should be better then at these longer distance away games, as he'll be sleeping undisturbed in a hotel the night before!