Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    He's here for another year so wishful thinking that we'd replace him this summer. 
  • Options
    He's here for another year so wishful thinking that we'd replace him this summer. 
    Why, are they scrapping the transfer market? 
  • Options
    Can’t believe fans … not long ago on here he was Charlton number one best keeper in the league etc etc .. up for player of the month …… suddenly he needs to be replaced why … last few games he had nothing to do , got fouled for the Wimbledon goal , Stood no chance with either Bolton goals and the same yesterday .. I have even seen some blame him for not saving the pen .. ridiculous 

people seem to over look the save made v Wimbledon that saved us the 3 points ?

He has been our most consistent performer over the season and it’s never easy for a keeper when  the defence in front keeps changing … 

McG will be our number one next season and righty so with AMB coming back in as number two playing in all cup comps .. years after I expect AMB to be number one which I expect was the plan all
    along .. 

No one has ever thought that, and if they did it was a very very small minority. 

If you've watched us at all this season you'll see he is no where near our most consistent performer. Shocking start to the season, did ok for a bit, now reverted to type.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    It's not just the crosses, his distribution is awful as well. 

Can't even claim that he's a great shot stopper, as he's conceded plenty of goals this season that he should have kept out. Portsmouth's goal the most recent example 
    He’s an excellent shot stopper by League 1 standards. He’s made some saves that I’m not sure Amos would’ve done, for example, but every keeper lets one by that they should do better with once in a while. Amos was/is a much better all round keeper though.

I don’t think we’ll ever change the way he deals (or doesn’t deal) with crosses so better to accept that as a weakness and plan for it in the way we defend. We did it with Deano, who was not one to come and catch/punch everything either, but we also had better centre backs then too. 

It’s a reality of League One that the vast majority of players at this level will come with weaknesses that somewhat offset their strengths. It’s how you mitigate for those weaknesses, as a team, that counts. 
  • Options
    There are more pressing concerns. 

Plus they couldn't offload MacGillivray even if they wanted to. 
  • Options
    Ok shot stopper but I hate keepers who don’t command their area. Unless you have plenty of commanding CBs then you look like conceding every time the ball comes in. Give me a Nicky Johns any day!!
  • Options
    Other teams have obviously decided to cross into our box at ever opportunity! Every corner scares the life out of me tbh I dont think I have ever seen a keeper so reluctant to come and catch a ball
  • Options
    I thought Charlton had, about 2 years ago.
  • Options
    No one who knows football has ever thought he was ever the best keeper in this league.  commanding of his box has been a major issue since the start of the season and it’s only becoming more noticeable now. 

The amount of crosses that come in and you see him stay on his line per game is frightening. Simply not good enough for a team wanting promotion, get rid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The crosses thing was a known issue, but keepers don’t come for crosses or corners in a big way anymore, see Kasper Schmeichel at the King Power today 
  • Options
    Becoming more noticeable? Some of us spotted that weakness inside his first 5 games. Never been convinced. Want to see AMB given a chance
  • Options

Posted in June when he signed.

"Exits" is a measure of how many times a goalkeeper comes off his line to claim a cross etc.

It was well known before we signed him that that was not his strength. I suspect we discounted it as not much of an issue (modern keeping etc.) but it's been exposed on a couple of occasions recently.
  • Options

Posted in June when he signed.

"Exits" is a measure of how many times a goalkeeper comes off his line to claim a cross etc.

It was well known before we signed him that that was not his strength. I suspect we discounted it as not much of an issue (modern keeping etc.) but it's been exposed on a couple of occasions recently.
    To be fair it's been a problem all season just maybe we got away with it earlier on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    There are more pressing concerns. 

Plus they couldn't offload MacGillivray even if they wanted to. 
    All hypothetical...

If he gets replaced by a better option next season and has to sit on the bench, so be it.

If he wants to play regular football and we can't give it to him, I'm sure there are plenty of teams in League One who would be interested in him.

And in the event that there is no interest (I doubt that personally), he'll have to get his head down and be happy with being a bench warmer.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Can't even claim that he's a great shot stopper, as he's conceded plenty of goals this season that he should have kept out. Portsmouth's goal the most recent example 
    He’s an excellent shot stopper by League 1 standards. He’s made some saves that I’m not sure Amos would’ve done, for example, but every keeper lets one by that they should do better with once in a while. Amos was/is a much better all round keeper though.

I don’t think we’ll ever change the way he deals (or doesn’t deal) with crosses so better to accept that as a weakness and plan for it in the way we defend. We did it with Deano, who was not one to come and catch/punch everything either, but we also had better centre backs then too. 

It’s a reality of League One that the vast majority of players at this level will come with weaknesses that somewhat offset their strengths. It’s how you mitigate for those weaknesses, as a team, that counts. 
    Is he an excellent shot stopper ?  He saves most of the ones he should save but it’s perceived that he’s good on his line because he is so bad at everything else 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Can’t believe fans … not long ago on here he was Charlton number one best keeper in the league etc etc .. up for player of the month …… suddenly he needs to be replaced why … last few games he had nothing to do , got fouled for the Wimbledon goal , Stood no chance with either Bolton goals and the same yesterday .. I have even seen some blame him for not saving the pen .. ridiculous 

people seem to over look the save made v Wimbledon that saved us the 3 points ?

He has been our most consistent performer over the season and it’s never easy for a keeper when  the defence in front keeps changing … 

McG will be our number one next season and righty so with AMB coming back in as number two playing in all cup comps .. years after I expect AMB to be number one which I expect was the plan all
    along .. 

No one has ever thought that, and if they did it was a very very small minority. 

If you've watched us at all this season you'll see he is no where near our most consistent performer. Shocking start to the season, did ok for a bit, now reverted to type.
    Agreed, and he wasn't fouled for the Wimbledon goal, he ran into the Wimbledon player. 

I'm replying to your reply because I don't want to feed the troll 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:

Is he an excellent shot stopper ?  He saves most of the ones he should save but it’s perceived that he’s good on his line because he is so bad at everything else 
    I'd be interested in what his metrics look like for 21/22 but historically his shot stopping has been one of his strengths.
  • Options
    How do we know AMB is any better?

He’s not been given a first team chance here yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do we know AMB is any better?

He’s not been given a first team chance here yet.
    Rob Elliot waxed lyrical about him on Ben Fosters podcast. Apparently everyone around the club knows he’ll be a proper player. 

He said he’ll be the best keeper in the world, albeit a bit tongue in cheek! 
  • Options
    I am not having the he is "a good shot stopper" defence.  If he isn't a good shot stopper he is in the wrong job.

He isn't as good as Amos or Philips or Rudd or Steer.  He isn't awful either.

He wasn't a black box signing either, unless it was a real coincidence that he worked with Gallen's brother for years.....

Are you going to find a league 1 keeper who commands his area, plays like a midfielder and is a good shot stopper?  Probably not.  Can you get a keeper better than MacGillivray?  Probably.  Is it a priority?  Probably not. 
  • Options
    From what I've seen so far, going back to when I was in the away end at Oxford when he spilled a simple shot out (in my opinion) to allow them to score I haven't rated him. I'd honestly rather give AMB a go, given his age and I'd let Mac go - free up those wages for better use somewhere else. 
  • Options
    So whats the verdict on Big Mac? I'm really unimpressed, Portsmouth POTY last season and was generally considered an upgrade on Amos. Doesn't come for any crosses, distribution poor and i can think of 5 goals this season he's cocked up for. Give AMB a chance next season i think 
  • Options
    I want him to be any good, but really don’t rate him.
    Other keepers have won us more points with their displays, Craig seems no better than maybe between average and below average.

• Options
    The worst regular keeper in my 45 years of supporting Charlton , Jeff Wood was the first keeper when I started going .

• Options
    Don't rate him at all but has AMB set the world alight at Ross County - currently sitting on their bench.
  • Options
    Had a shaky start and I wasn’t at all convinced, but I seemed to be one of only a few who thought Amos was very good for this level and would be hard to replace. I maintain that for most of this season his shot stopping has been good, other areas of his game not so much, but built confidence in his shot saving abilities. Has let in a couple of soft ones recently which just puts the spotlight on his other failings. I think you could get promoted with him in the team, if the defence is well drilled and organized, but he’s not a stand out player, even at this level. Certainly a way short of Dils and Hamer who were the last two to get us out of this hell hole of a division. However, no keeper would keep regular clean sheets behind a team defending like we are. And to be fair, he had no chance with 3 of the 4 today. 
  • Options
    Don’t like him, not a good keeper at all imho. Can only go on what I see.

Does not give me any confidence when coming off his line, nightmare for our defence.
  • Options
    So whats the verdict on Big Mac? I'm really unimpressed, Portsmouth POTY last season and was generally considered an upgrade on Amos. Doesn't come for any crosses, distribution poor and i can think of 5 goals this season he's cocked up for. Give AMB a chance next season i think 
    Pompey lost him and replaced him with a lad who Man city had loaned to Rochdale. That tells you a lot.