Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    That is terrible. AMB will be number 1 next season, unless we sell him 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Says all you need to know that he's never played above League One at his age. Never been part of a promotion winning side. Only ever was a regular from the age of 25 where before that he had played just 33 games.

Not good enough if we are genuinely serious about promotion next season. His distribution is poor, I can't remember a time he caught a cross or free kick and took the pressure off. Might make some decent saves but that is his job.

If AMB is not deemed ready, we need another keeper to come in and be a real quality number 1.

Agreed. We won't be getting out of this division with Big Mac between the sticks.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Sage said:
    Says all you need to know that he's never played above League One at his age. Never been part of a promotion winning side. Only ever was a regular from the age of 25 where before that he had played just 33 games.

Not good enough if we are genuinely serious about promotion next season. His distribution is poor, I can't remember a time he caught a cross or free kick and took the pressure off. Might make some decent saves but that is his job.

If AMB is not deemed ready, we need another keeper to come in and be a real quality number 1.

Agreed. We won't be getting out of this division with Big Mac between the sticks.
    Except downwards.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Staying on the goalline as if playing a bloody school game on concrete during lunch break.

How can you not coach/train to become better in your profession!? 
    If only we had a goalkeeping coach...
  • Options
    Not a great piece of scouting and studying of a player then. 

Being a team's POTS is not like a guarantee for a transfer to become successful. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Not a great piece of scouting and studying of a player then. 

Being a team's POTS is not like a guarantee for a transfer to become successful. 
    But he didn't cost anything,......... until he pulled on the the number one shirt and then he cost loads.
  • Options
    Nice fella. But I never rated him. I saw it as the "cheap option" at the time and cost us nothing than a signing on fee. It looked like it was a "cheap" option, so that we could use the money elsewhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He caught a cross at the last home game and an almighty cheer went up.
    He caught an uncontested cross and the crowd's cheer should act as an embarrassment to the professional coaches on the sideline, who have allowed this useless goalkeeper to continue to cost us points on a weekly basis.

He is by far the worst goalkeeper that I have ever seen play for us, on a regular basis, in the fifty years that I have supported Charlton.
    He caught one in the home game before that too. Trouble was he then dropped it when he hit the floor..
  • Options
    We signed him KNOWING this would be the type of goalkeeper that he is. The write-up from his time at Portsmouth told us that he would be rooted to his line and not come out for crosses. 

It's again an inditement of terrible recruitment with zero knowledge of the game. 
    Signing him in the first place is bad but continuing to play him when he proves to be bad is worse.
  • Options
    We signed him KNOWING this would be the type of goalkeeper that he is. The write-up from his time at Portsmouth told us that he would be rooted to his line and not come out for crosses. 

It's again an inditement of terrible recruitment with zero knowledge of the game. 
    Signing him in the first place is bad but continuing to play him when he proves to be bad is worse.
    Problem is they played Henderson whil McG was out. He decided to sit on the floor and parry the ball back into play to concede two identical goals in two games. 

What a show!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    mendonca said:
    Staying on the goalline as if playing a bloody school game on concrete during lunch break.

How can you not coach/train to become better in your profession!? 
    If only we had a goalkeeping coach...
    To be fair you shouldn’t need to be coached what to do in that situation at this level. Jesus, at park level a ‘keeper world come and deal with that. 
    Sums up the entire team as far as I'm concerned. 
  • Options
    unfortunately when Henderson did get a chance between the sticks he blew it spectacularly conceding 2 identical goals from soft shots by not holding/palming the ball away from goal.

I've never generally worried about our keepers as we always seemed to be strong in this area, however I've no idea who I would choose.

I don't think it's fair to throw a young kid in goal now given the frailties within our back 3/4/5, one of the above needs to step up.

Defo need a different No 1 next season if we have ambitions of promotion.
  • Options
    unfortunately when Henderson did get a chance between the sticks he blew it spectacularly conceding 2 identical goals from soft shots by not holding/palming the ball away from goal.

I've never generally worried about our keepers as we always seemed to be strong in this area, however I've no idea who I would choose.

I don't think it's fair to throw a young kid in goal now given the frailties within our back 3/4/5, one of the above needs to step up.

Defo need a different No 1 next season if we have ambitions of promotion.
    I wouldn’t put Henderson in, that would make things worse.

I liked MacGillivray and thought he was a decent signing earlier in the year, but the last couple of months have seen some unforgivable things. He’s not alone, other players in team have been just as bad (if not worse) but the position he plays receives more individual scrutiny than any other - that’s just the way it is. 

AMB has done really well at Ross County and has been their first choice ‘keeper for most of the season (think he’s injured currently). I think if we signed a highly rated, first choice, goalkeeper from the Scottish Premier League we’d normally be fairly satisfied with that as our staying number one when the season begins, so I would be happy to go with AMB next year.
  • Options
    We only gave him a 2 year deal, same with Dobson and Clare. Might suggest we didn’t rate any of them that highly, they were all relatively cheap gambles. 

It’ll be interesting to see if we bring in a keeper. If Jackson doesn’t rate him I can’t imagine he’s going to say anything until a replacement has signed.
  • Options
    He caught a cross at the last home game and an almighty cheer went up.
    He caught an uncontested cross and the crowd's cheer should act as an embarrassment to the professional coaches on the sideline, who have allowed this useless goalkeeper to continue to cost us points on a weekly basis.

He is by far the worst goalkeeper that I have ever seen play for us, on a regular basis, in the fifty years that I have supported Charlton.
    I automatically wanted to defend him and list permanently signed goalkeepers that have played 20 games that were worse.

when considering the names on my list all played for us at a higher level, my list is blank.

I agree, worst permanently signed keeper in a Charlton shirt
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Questions need to be asked about the goalkeeping coach as well, hes had all season to iron out the weaknesses.

We are just so poor in so many departments, the last thing you need is Calamity Craig between the sticks
  • Options

Id give the youngster a go, cant be much worse...played well in the cup games.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Questions need to be asked about the goalkeeping coach as well, hes had all season to iron out the weaknesses.

We are just so poor in so many departments, the last thing you need is Calamity Craig between the sticks
    CM is 29, at that age he’s not going to make drastic change to his game no matter how good the coaching is.

We were most likely aware of the weakness when we decided to sign him but accepted it regardless. Question is did we look wide and far enough in terms of what other options were available?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    TEL said:

CM is 29, at that age he’s not going to make drastic change to his game no matter how good the coaching is.

We were most likely aware of the weakness when we decided to sign him but accepted it regardless. Question is did we look wide and far enough in terms of what other options were available?
    Or did we sign him because he is mates with Gallen's brother.......

That's partly tongue in cheek but. 
  • Options
    After all that head tennis, the smallest looking player scores a header. Nice one Charlton!
  • Options
    So so bad. Need a new 1 and GK coach next season. 
  • Options
    I agree about Henderson not covering himself in glory when he came in, although I do remember him also making some decent saves as well. 
    What I do know is that when he played for us before he was an infinitely better keeper than anything McG has shown this season. 
    I'd forgive him a bit of rustiness and put him back in for the rest of the season rather than exposing one of the youngsters to what could be an ugly 7 weeks. 
  • Options
    From Gallen interviews, I believe they were considering making AMB our number one this season, so I'm hoping they are reviewing that decision for next season, because we can't continue with this clown.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    So so bad. Need a new 1 and GK coach next season. 
    Totally agreed.. He has been terrible, even in pre-season he was making mistake after mistake.