Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    We only gave him a 2 year deal, same with Dobson and Clare. Might suggest we didn’t rate any of them that highly, they were all relatively cheap gambles. 

It’ll be interesting to see if we bring in a keeper. If Jackson doesn’t rate him I can’t imagine he’s going to say anything until a replacement has signed.
    Adkins identified MacGillivray early on in case we missed out on Amos. Amos was always number one choice for that position.

Dobson was a Martin Sandgaard signing, it took a lot of convincing to Adkins to agree to sign him.

Clare was identified more through Gallen with his previous at clubs like Hearts and Oxford. Robinson also giving his own reference on him.

As things stand I would say Dobson will get a new deal most likely end of summer, Clare quite possibly depending on what he does next season, MacGillvray won’t be. 
    Was Martin Sandgaard finding us players back in June/July?
  • Options
    You would expect Lavelle, Pearce, Purrington, Gunter, Clare to at least be accomplished in the air, rather than dominant.

We are heavily reliant on Stockley for defending. I hate to say, the accuracy of his headed attempts at goal have reduced a tad e's been here perm and I feel the workload/nature of heading it out might be a contributor. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    sam3110 said:
    We've been spoilt in the past seasons with keepers, from Ilic, Kiely, Elliott, Hamer, Pope and Phillips being great keepers, to having top loanees like Carson, Steer, Amos and Rudd, and even some of our backup keepers like Andersen, Randolph, Button, Alnwick and Dmitrovic, for most of the last 20 years we've not had many duds (the Weaver era probably being the biggest first choice dud we had, and the end of Henderson first time around wasn't great either) but Macgillivray is the worst first choice keeper we've had since I first watched Charlton in 1994/1995
    I assume you didn’t watch much of Ilic
    I mean I was only born in 1990, so don't remember a lot of him, but any keeper that plays in a promotion winning side isn't going to be THAT bad
  • Options
    Just an impression, but I thought the Accrington Stanley GK was very good. He saved what I thought was a better shot from Lee than the shot they scored from although almost identical distance. Confident in the air and good distribution. 
  • Options
    I think we have been spoilt over the years with some great keepers , which is probally why Macca is starting to look so bad. Too slow to come of his line, handling not great and distribution very poor at times , I hope we replace him
  • Options
    He certainly is not covering himself with glory. What bothers me is that the slightest hesitancy he shows the crowd will turn on him. You do not want that happening to your goalkeeper of all people.
    It would help, if we stopped showing players on the inside and getting so many shots away
    He might have to come off his line tonight and seek refuge on the halfway line.
  • Options
    For a goalie who likes to stay rooted to his line, he also hardly ever saves a penalty. That to me shows his keeping is based on instincts. He's showing more negatives than positives sadly.

- Distribution 
    - Rooted to goalline
    - No dominance or command from corners or crosses
    - Parry shots back forward into dangerzone
    - When coming off the line, it's usually too far and the forward makes a simple chip

We can accept one or two of the above, but not all four.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:
    We only gave him a 2 year deal, same with Dobson and Clare. Might suggest we didn’t rate any of them that highly, they were all relatively cheap gambles. 

It’ll be interesting to see if we bring in a keeper. If Jackson doesn’t rate him I can’t imagine he’s going to say anything until a replacement has signed.
    Adkins identified MacGillivray early on in case we missed out on Amos. Amos was always number one choice for that position.

Dobson was a Martin Sandgaard signing, it took a lot of convincing to Adkins to agree to sign him.

Clare was identified more through Gallen with his previous at clubs like Hearts and Oxford. Robinson also giving his own reference on him.

As things stand I would say Dobson will get a new deal most likely end of summer, Clare quite possibly depending on what he does next season, MacGillvray won’t be. 
    Dobson HAS to get a new deal at the end of this season... Cant risk losing him on a free next year
    Why wait ? Give him a 3 year deal now, longer you leave it the more chance somebody has of turning his head.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

Dobson HAS to get a new deal at the end of this season... Cant risk losing him on a free next year
    Why wait ? Give him a 3 year deal now, longer you leave it the more chance somebody has of turning his head.
    Make the whole bloody squad focus on staying in League One first.

Wouldnt expect it from Dobson, but wouldnt give any of them an excuse to relax
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    sam3110 said:
    We've been spoilt in the past seasons with keepers, from Ilic, Kiely, Elliott, Hamer, Pope and Phillips being great keepers, to having top loanees like Carson, Steer, Amos and Rudd, and even some of our backup keepers like Andersen, Randolph, Button, Alnwick and Dmitrovic, for most of the last 20 years we've not had many duds (the Weaver era probably being the biggest first choice dud we had, and the end of Henderson first time around wasn't great either) but Macgillivray is the worst first choice keeper we've had since I first watched Charlton in 1994/1995
    I mean I was only born in 1990, so don't remember a lot of him, but any keeper that plays in a promotion winning side isn't going to be THAT bad
    Ilic was brilliant in that promotion winning side. After getting concussed after a chelsea scum kicked him in the head he was never the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    sam3110 said:
    He wasn't the same after the blow to the head away at Chelsea. It was a long time ago now but from memory, he gave away some soft goals to help us get relegated. Even considering that, a shit premier league keeper is a lot better than a shit league 1 keeper.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    sam3110 said:
    He wasn't the same after the blow to the head away at Chelsea. It was a long time ago now but from memory, he gave away some soft goals to help us get relegated. Even considering that, a shit premier league keeper is a lot better than a shit league 1 keeper.
    Exactly. Ilic was fantastic, but lost his confidence after being knocked out at Chelsea. He was absolutely fearless before that incident! Rufus was shepherding the ball back to him and Casiraghi (I think) pushed him in the back causing a collision with Sasa. It still annoys me 20 odd years later! 
  • Options
    I don't think CM is a terrible keeper, but he does not give the defence much confidence because he seems too passive. The keeper is a very important part of the spine of the team and a good keeper organizes and helps the defence by communicating with them. He rarely (ever?) shouts at the defence. A confident and dominant keeper makes a huge difference. Craig seems like a nice chap, but he is not a confident keeper and that rubs off on the defence. He should not be the number 1 for next year, that should be AMB, but given that he has another year on his contract, I suspect he will be. 
  • Options
    I feel a bit for Big Mac after seeing that goal. You want your keeper to command his area, but how many players are in the 6yrd box! He actually gets his hand on it at one point, but all in vain. The defending is comical at best. He is by far the worst keeper we've had in recent years, but my god look at the shit in front of him.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

Didn’t realise MS was involved that far back. Who else are MS signings? Where any Roddy signings?

If Dobson was an MS signing and a rare success maybe that’s why he’s in his new role?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Ilic was brilliant in that promotion winning side. After getting concussed after a chelsea scum kicked him in the head he was never the same.
    This is spot on.
    His performance away at Birmingham, last league game of the 1997/8 season, was probably the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen.
    Completely lost his confidence after that concussion.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    I feel a bit for Big Mac after seeing that goal. You want your keeper to command his area, but how many players are in the 6yrd box! He actually gets his hand on it at one point, but all in vain. The defending is comical at best. He is by far the worst keeper we've had in recent years, but my god look at the shit in front of him.
    The reason that those players are in the six yard box is because McG doesn't command his area.
    If he can't catch the ball under pressure then he should be punching it.
  • Options
    Sadly he appears to be a bottler, without Innes in the team it makes him look a whole lot worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    That’s not the metric.

Sandgaard (Martin) worked hard to get Adkins convinced on Dobson. It was Dobson who had the most tackles and interceptions in the league from when he started playing for AFC Wimbledon. Adkins wasn’t convinced, hence one of the players to be frozen out, but this one has proven where the stats and analysis of Martin Sandgaard can work.

So yes, he’s been around in the background for a while mainly setting up and finalising the black box system. Dobson is an example of that in its good effect.

It’s only more recently his role has been more official now they believe the algorithm is correct and can analyse thousands of players key data much easier and effectively.
    Interesting. Throws all sorts into the air really. I remember when Idrissa Gueye was picked up by Everton the season after signing for Villa and being part of their dreadful relegation squad. Villa were terrible and Gueye never looked great, but the areas he was covering statistically were exceptional, it's just he couldn't influence a game with the players around him being so bad, and he was used to great effect at Everton. I'm a big fan of identifying players initially by the metrics but from there you have to make sure they're the right player and suited to the club. Normally I'd be very uncomfortable with the idea of a player being forced through past the manager based solely on stats, but then Adkins was objectively wrong about this one. Do you know more? Who did he want instead and why didn't he want Dobson?
  • Options
    Sage said:
    That’s not the metric.

Sandgaard (Martin) worked hard to get Adkins convinced on Dobson. It was Dobson who had the most tackles and interceptions in the league from when he started playing for AFC Wimbledon. Adkins wasn’t convinced, hence one of the players to be frozen out, but this one has proven where the stats and analysis of Martin Sandgaard can work.

So yes, he’s been around in the background for a while mainly setting up and finalising the black box system. Dobson is an example of that in its good effect.

It’s only more recently his role has been more official now they believe the algorithm is correct and can analyse thousands of players key data much easier and effectively.
    Presumably by the summer it would have been in place for a while and we should expect to see more Dobson type signings and fewer like Arter and Souare.

Doesn’t explain January when we brought in two well known players and a couple of loans as cover.
  • Options
    Elliot is riding the pine at Watford....bring him in next season
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sage said:
    That’s not the metric.

Interesting. Throws all sorts into the air really. I remember when Idrissa Gueye was picked up by Everton the season after signing for Villa and being part of their dreadful relegation squad. Villa were terrible and Gueye never looked great, but the areas he was covering statistically were exceptional, it's just he couldn't influence a game with the players around him being so bad, and he was used to great effect at Everton. I'm a big fan of identifying players initially by the metrics but from there you have to make sure they're the right player and suited to the club. Normally I'd be very uncomfortable with the idea of a player being forced through past the manager based solely on stats, but then Adkins was objectively wrong about this one. Do you know more? Who did he want instead and why didn't he want Dobson?
    I know by the time the black box had been set up completely we had missed out on many of the primary targets. I know Adkins wanted someone taller and more athletic than Dobson but either had missed out already, not in our budget, or couldn’t identify specifics. I don’t think he knew enough about Dobson in general and then needing convincing, Dobson was always going to be one of the first to get frozen out once the situation unfolded. Adkins wanted Arter but that didn’t turn out very well at all.

This summer’s window is not just imperative for Charlton’s future, but it must be successful if they’re going to pursue with the ‘smarter’ recruitment strategy they’ve now got in place. It’s make or break, in a way.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    That’s not the metric.

Presumably by the summer it would have been in place for a while and we should expect to see more Dobson type signings and fewer like Arter and Souare.

Doesn’t explain January when we brought in two well known players and a couple of loans as cover.
    Yes exactly. You also will have Jackson’s input from far earlier now it’s all in place. Seems to me the summer recruitment last time was a mixture of all things and we ended up with some dross late on.

There might be reasons as to why we ended up with Castillo and John if you look really hard at each case, but whether the reasons you might assume are indeed correct, we probably will never know for certain as they’re unlikely to ever be communicated.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    That’s not the metric.

I forgot that we still had souare!
  • Options
    All things being equal the keeper should at least be able to punch the ball. 
    If he at least half clears the ball, it's better than a free header for the opposition. 
  • Options
    The oppo just need to pump high balls into the box and we panic ..
  • Options
    Loved the way three or four of our defenders gave him a pat on the back when he came out and grabbed a cross…..obviously the message has gone out for him to come out more to crosses and consequently be encouraged when he does so.