Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    If a goalkeeper of his age hasn't mastered the technique of how to come & collect or punch a cross, I'm not hopeful that he will in the next 3 months. 
    He has greatly improved this part of his game…..I honestly believe there “might” have been something tactical about his staying on his line so much.
    It had been plainly obvious for some time that this was causing problems.
    Then suddenly things changed and he has been very good at claiming crosses for the last five or six games and looked quite at home doing so……strange if you ask me.
    Quite at home. You must have been watching different games to me. 
    Yes, he has claimed a few balls, but that's it. Hardly a transformation. 
    Yes…..quite at home doing so and without question it’s certainly more than a few.
  • Options
    Harness is 22 years old and is yet to play in the league.  If he has anything about him he should be dislodging McG who is awfully error prone.  Otherwise we may as well move Harness on in the summer.
  • Options
    Has anyone on CL actually seen AMB play 10 full games or even 5?
    I'm thinking he's possibly a better bet than McG, but the truth is I doubt I've seen him play a full game more than maybe once or twice, so in reality I don't know.
    Was going to post something similar. A lot of people saying AMB needs to be given a chance, but do we actually know if he's any good?

I did read an article where Rob Elliott was raving about him, but not seen much else.
  • Options
    I'm thinking he's possibly a better bet than McG, but the truth is I doubt I've seen him play a full game more than maybe once or twice, so in reality I don't know.
    Was going to post something similar. A lot of people saying AMB needs to be given a chance, but do we actually know if he's any good?

I did read an article where Rob Elliott was raving about him, but not seen much else.
    Enyirely my view. I've seen prople, (including some who will literally use any argument to beat the club) arguing we should have bought AMB bavk st christmas. But how many are watching his games regularly? MacG is looking worryingly error prone right now, and that after he looked a lot better once he started coming for crosses. But that doesn't make AMB an automatic improvement. And if he doesn't work out, those fans will complain again about TS or JJ. Fantasising about a player almost nobody has seen this season makes no real sense.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    If a goalkeeper of his age hasn't mastered the technique of how to come & collect or punch a cross, I'm not hopeful that he will in the next 3 months. 
    He has greatly improved this part of his game…..I honestly believe there “might” have been something tactical about his staying on his line so much.
    It had been plainly obvious for some time that this was causing problems.
    Then suddenly things changed and he has been very good at claiming crosses for the last five or six games and looked quite at home doing so……strange if you ask me.
    Quite at home. You must have been watching different games to me. 
    Yes, he has claimed a few balls, but that's it. Hardly a transformation. 
    Yes…..quite at home doing so and without question it’s certainly more than a few.
    Literally dropped a cross on Tuesday night. Doesn't command box at all, even when thr ball is on the deck.
  • Options
    we've always been spoilt when it comes to keepers really, I'd like to see AMB given a real shot next season
  • Options

Enyirely my view. I've seen prople, (including some who will literally use any argument to beat the club) arguing we should have bought AMB bavk st christmas. But how many are watching his games regularly? MacG is looking worryingly error prone right now, and that after he looked a lot better once he started coming for crosses. But that doesn't make AMB an automatic improvement. And if he doesn't work out, those fans will complain again about TS or JJ. Fantasising about a player almost nobody has seen this season makes no real sense.
    That's the risk with keepers isn't it.  You can't give them 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there or change the formation so they don't have to play or get someone to "do a job" in their position for a few weeks.

You almost don't know if they are good enough until its to late. 
  • Options
    Harness is 22 years old and is yet to play in the league.  If he has anything about him he should be dislodging McG who is awfully error prone.  Otherwise we may as well move Harness on in the summer.
    I wouldn’t know how often you have seen Harness play, but I think he is not dislodging McG because forces the club would be embarrassed not to play McG after signing him.
    Harness as a young goalkeeper has plenty about him in my opinion, and also in my opinion would certainly be no worse than McG, but very probably better.
  • Options
    He's a L1 keeper and we're a L1 team - he seems unlikely to play at a higher level. He seems on a par with most of our team.
  • Options
    He's a L1 keeper and we're a L1 team - he seems unlikely to play at a higher level. He seems on a par with most of our team.
    Pretty accurate to be fair.

If MacGillivray was a great shot stopper with safe hands, could command his area, come and catch crosses all the time, was a good kicker and had great distribution he definitely wouldn't be playing for a mid-table league one side. There's a reason he's 29 and has never played above league one level.

I think most keepers at this level will have 1-2 faults in their game, it's why they're at this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn’t know how often you have seen Harness play, but I think he is not dislodging McG because forces the club would be embarrassed not to play McG after signing him.
    Harness as a young goalkeeper has plenty about him in my opinion, and also in my opinion would certainly be no worse than McG, but very probably better.

Thanks for your view. I have not really seen Harness play outside the odd JPT game so have no opinion on him. Just surprised he has not been given a chance when McG is not great and Henderson is poor - it is the lowest keeper competition bar for a long time and Harness is now 22. 

If your assessment above has truth it would be pretty ridiculous and not sure why JJ would go with it as he was not in recruitment in the summer.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Thanks for your view. I have not really seen Harness play outside the odd JPT game so have no opinion on him. Just surprised he has not been given a chance when McG is not great and Henderson is poor - it is the lowest keeper competition bar for a long time and Harness is now 22. 

If your assessment above has truth it would be pretty ridiculous and not sure why JJ would go with it as he was not in recruitment in the summer.
    Back in the (good old) day it was easier to drop Jon Fortune when we were at full strength central defence despite Fortune having done nothing wrong.
     Maybe it is part of unconscious football bias that the senior guys get loyalty. That could be the explanation for persisting with Gilbey who right now is woeful.
    There is risk aversion in football, yes for good reasons, but there is also a notion that if you have a development system then players from that system are a useable resource. It served us well with Randolph and Elliott for instance. Why not for AMB and Harness?
    I don’t believe our developing keepers are any worse than McG, we might even uncover a gem.
    My final thought is that if there is competition for outfield places then what’s wrong with a similar approach to goalkeepers?
    Morecambe got their third from a crap release from McG, and in the first half at Cambridge it nearly happened again when McG threw the ball to that big fast bloke. If Cambridge had opened the scoring then we would’ve lost.
    I think McG’s recent form justifies Harness in against Shrewsbury.
    Mind you, god help me if Harness is picked and has a stinker.
  • Options
    He's hugely error prone and not worth persisting with imo. 

For a goalie who can't kick or claim crosses, he needs to nail every aspect of shot stopping.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

If MacGillivray was a great shot stopper with safe hands, could command his area, come and catch crosses all the time, was a good kicker and had great distribution he definitely wouldn't be playing for a mid-table league one side. There's a reason he's 29 and has never played above league one level.

I think most keepers at this level will have 1-2 faults in their game, it's why they're at this level.
    but he’s certainly worse than any of the regular keepers we’ve had in league one - Elliot, Hamer, Rudd, Steer, Phillips , Amos . 
    Based on that you could argue we looked in the wrong place for our keeper. CM stepped up to regular L1 football in his mid 20s and probably never looked like someone who’d play much higher than that. His two year contract didn’t suggest we were completely convinced about him as a long term signing.

Two on that list were good young keepers from our academy, they had shown early on they had potential to play at a higher level. You could add Randolph in too. 

The other four dropped down from a higher level as they couldn’t get first team football. Hamer was slightly different, he had proven himself out on loan, working his way up the divisions in a similar way to Elliot, Randolph and Pope.

I thought Pope showed potential despite making some poor mistakes early on. Like Elliot and Randolph he progressed through the leagues with various loan spells.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

but he’s certainly worse than any of the regular keepers we’ve had in league one - Elliot, Hamer, Rudd, Steer, Phillips , Amos . 
    …and that is the point. He is certainly the weakest first choice goalkeeper I have seen in nearly sixty years of watching Charlton.

Saying he is a reasonable keeper because he has made some saves is like saying we should keep Gunter because he sometimes passes to a bloke on his own side.

• Options
    In the last year of his contract. It would he great go improve our first choice goalie but for some reason I can't see it.

• Options
    a new manager will hopefully look at everyone with fresh eyes and may consider say AMB the better option.
  • Options
    Was hoping this was going to have news that Chef Wendy wanted to sign him.
  • Options
    If we are going to have a manager like the one suggested I would love Jamie Trafford on loan.  Really don't want MacGillivray trying to play out from back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a new manager will hopefully look at everyone with fresh eyes and may consider say AMB the better option.
    Hopefully 
  • Options
    Would he be the sort who could play out well from the back like people are suggesting Garner likes? If so, would be great for him to be number 1. 
  • Options
    He's too unreliable for a team making a serious try for promotion .. not good enough unfortunately
  • Options
    No command of his area, not good enough with the ball at his feet and an average at best shot-stopper. Phillips was also poor at the first 2 but made up for it by being brilliant at the latter. Overall, shouldn’t be number 1 if we are going for promotion 
  • Options
    Given the comments from Swindon fans on how Garner likes to play out from the back, i don't see how that can work with MacG as our keeper. 

But i've also never seen AMB play so not sure how good he is either.
  • Options
    the modern goalie needs to be an extra defender and good with their feet.  If we are going to play that was we need a new #1

AMB is a great goalie but I’m not so sure he’s a ball playing gk

Harness is s bit more comfortable with the ball at his feet as is Kone but suspect neither ready for regular first team football yet.

• Options
    Where's Stevie Brown when you need him?  :)
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Only 1 keeper who finished in the top 6 of clean sheets in the division, ended up getting promoted.