Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    Nigel wanted 25 clean sheets, no keeper in this division got 25 clean sheets.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know how many clean sheets Hammer got in our record breaking promotion season.

If any of you wizz statistician lads could please post on here.
  • Options
    Hamer was helped by having fairly settled team and in particular a consistent back four. Not saying I rate CM as highly as Hamer of course.
  • Options
    I think Mac suffered in exactly the same way as the rest of the team did. No settled back four. A midfield that more often than not was ineffective and a general lack of confidence from front to back. Stick a cohesive defensive unit in front of him and I suspect a lot of the issues he had last season will drastically reduce. He’s certainly not a bad GK. He had a bad season. Hardly anyone else didn’t. 
  • Options
    Our big issue last season was that if we conceded one, it became 2 or 3.
  • Options
    I don't really buy the whole 'didn't have a consistent back 4' argument. There were at least 4 goals that were only his fault (Literally letting the ball go through his gloves). That on top of not being able to command his area tells me that we should be giving AMB a chance to see how he does.
  • Options
    Should point out that the stat is a slightly misleading.

e.g. Rotherham basically used two Goalkeepers last season; Vikor Johansson and Josh Vickers

They played 20 and 26-games respectively... Keeping 11 and 12 clean sheets each
  • Options
    Nothing against Mac but I’ve only ever heard positive things about AMB so I’d love for him to be given a go, I think I heard rob Elliot said he’s a star of the future or something when he saw him train.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    Nothing against Mac but I’ve only ever heard positive things about AMB so I’d love for him to be given a go, I think I heard rob Elliot said he’s a star of the future or something when he saw him train.
    We'll surely run out of time with Ashley soon as well

World Cup year too, and he's already gone to the Olympic Games, so he's on their radar

Cant keep him on the bench for much longer, else he'll get fed up, he's under contract until at least next Summer... and I imagine we'll exercise any extension, but equally wouldn't want to risk his patience.

Not when Macca didnt really make the jersey his own last season... I mean he didnt do great against Ipswich (none of the goals were really his fault), but its not great when the fans are calling for Harness to get an opportunity.
  • Options
    I don't really buy the whole 'didn't have a consistent back 4' argument. There were at least 4 goals that were only his fault (Literally letting the ball go through his gloves). That on top of not being able to command his area tells me that we should be giving AMB a chance to see how he does.
    As I said I wasn’t saying he’s as good as Hamer was. I’d like to see a better keeper come in, which might be AMB getting a chance, but all the small issues add up - any keeper would be more likely to do well behind a consistent team.
  • Options
    He's not comfortable, confident and calm (all the C's) enough to play in a team looking to keep possession. 
  • Options
    Nigel wanted 25 clean sheets, no keeper in this division got 25 clean sheets.
    Alisson and Ederson both got 20 clean sheets in 38 games to win the golden glove, Travers got 20 for Bournemouth. That 25 target was completely unrealistic
  • Options
    I'd like to see AMB given an extension and but also sent out on loan again with an option to recall in Jan.

also is he fit yet as he knackered his shoulder at the end of the season 
  • Options
    I rated Hammer as a good keeper, so its interesting to see 19 clean sheets for him in 41. However I think we had a better and more settled defence so the disparity for MacGillivray isn't so bad, which is surprising.   

I'm in the camp though of a goalkeeper coming out and dominating his area, it is something that can be worked on and also a confidence thing to do it competently.   
  • Options
    He’ll probably end up player of the season as we storm the division, and he’ll end up leaving on a free at the end of the season!
  • Options
    I rated Hammer as a good keeper, so its interesting to see 19 clean sheets for him in 41. However I think we had a better and more settled defence so the disparity for MacGillivray isn't so bad, which is surprising.   

I'm in the camp though of a goalkeeper coming out and dominating his area, it is something that can be worked on and also a confidence thing to do it competently.   
    I think part of it was lack of confidence in what the team were doing around him 
  • Options
    He’ll probably end up player of the season as we storm the division, and he’ll end up leaving on a free at the end of the season!
    I'd rather he leaves on a free now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just make AMB #1
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

World Cup year too, and he's already gone to the Olympic Games, so he's on their radar

Cant keep him on the bench for much longer, else he'll get fed up, he's under contract until at least next Summer... and I imagine we'll exercise any extension, but equally wouldn't want to risk his patience.

Not when Macca didnt really make the jersey his own last season... I mean he didnt do great against Ipswich (none of the goals were really his fault), but its not great when the fans are calling for Harness to get an opportunity.
    Harness played against Ipswich 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Yeah thats what I was saying in a roundabout way.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

My bad! I can’t read properly this morning 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

My bad! I can’t read properly this morning 
    No worries, its also my shite way of writing things as can see how it can confuse
  • Options
    I think we should cash in on him now.
  • Options
    One thing I would say to those pushing the case for AMB. Don't expect the finished article but do expect mistakes which are hopefully just stem from "learning on the job".
  • Options
    you'd think with a new manager coming in from outside with no knowledge or preconceptions would start with a clean slate and decide from that who will start the season between the sticks.