Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Craig MacGillivray signs from Pompey - 2 year deal

Comments

• Options
    I've said it before but I do feel a little sorry for MacGillivray. The best keepers in Premier League history have all built solid relationships with their defence, particularly the CB's in front of them. Look at how many partnerships we've had throughout the season, plus of course switching from a flat 4 to a back 3. That doesn't excuse everything, he's certainly made some errors and he isn't good at commanding his area but we've played 15 different players either at Full-Back, Wing-Back or CB this season, how can you ask a keeper to build up any consistency with that in front of him? He needs some competition that's for sure, but I wouldn't back against him bouncing back and having a much better season. 
    The difference is that the best goalkeepers in Premier League history, whatever that has to do with it, were also good goalkeepers in their own right. MacG isnt, he's a complete liability and has been all season.
    If he's our number one next season then we'd better splash on three 6' 6" centre backs.
  • Options
    I've said it before but I do feel a little sorry for MacGillivray. The best keepers in Premier League history have all built solid relationships with their defence, particularly the CB's in front of them. Look at how many partnerships we've had throughout the season, plus of course switching from a flat 4 to a back 3. That doesn't excuse everything, he's certainly made some errors and he isn't good at commanding his area but we've played 15 different players either at Full-Back, Wing-Back or CB this season, how can you ask a keeper to build up any consistency with that in front of him? He needs some competition that's for sure, but I wouldn't back against him bouncing back and having a much better season. 
    The difference is that the best goalkeepers in Premier League history, whatever that has to do with it, were also good goalkeepers in their own right. MacG isnt, he's a complete liability and has been all season.
    If he's our number one next season then we'd better splash on three 6' 6" centre backs.
    So he became Pompey's player of the year how?
  • Options
    We've been spoilt in recent years with keepers. AMB has to be given a go in pre season 
  • Options
    Wasn't gilbey player of the year at a previous club? 

It doesn't matter what he did for Portsmouth, he has been one of the worst keepers I've seen in a Charlton shirt over the last 40 years
  • Options
    Would like to see him and AMB battle it out in pre season. How long has AMB got left on his contract?
  • Options
    Wasn't gilbey player of the year at a previous club? 

It doesn't matter what he did for Portsmouth, he has been one of the worst keepers I've seen in a Charlton shirt over the last 40 years
    Yes Gilbey was, but he was playing for a team that finished 19th, not a point or two outside of the play offs like Mac was. I can easily see how Gilbey can become a fans favourite for a team near the bottom of the league because of how hard he works, ultimately his quality isn't sufficient for a team at the other end. 

And I never said Mac has been good enough, but I do think he has some excuses, namely the ever changing defence which makes it extremely difficult to build any confidence or consistency. 
  • Options
    Has anyone on CL actually seen AMB play 10 full games or even 5?
    I'm thinking he's possibly a better bet than McG, but the truth is I doubt I've seen him play a full game more than maybe once or twice, so in reality I don't know.
    Agreed, he's had a couple of decent games but he's a punt. I agree with Valley 11, I'd like to see him have a battle with Mac over the summer and make them earn the jersey. 
  • Options
    ... he isn't good at commanding his area ...
    This is what kills me, he should be a much more dominant figure. Whenever we concede a corner I despair at his lack of authority. At last week's match against Morecambe, during one of our corners, their keeper ran out and punched the ball with both fists, sending it miles away to safety. My immediate thought was - why the hell can't MacGillivray do that when needed?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn’t be too concerned if AMB and Harness battled it out for a first team place with MacGillivray as back up, or loaned out with an instant recall option.
  • Options

Don't know the answer to that but my only Pompey supporting mate laughed and said "he is rubbish" when I mentioned having got McG from them in the summer, which I found surprising and thought was sour grapes at the time.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I wouldn’t be too concerned if AMB and Harness battled it out for a first team place with MacGillivray as back up, or loaned out with an instant recall option.
    You can only recall in the January window if you loan to a FL club. No chance CM goes on loan to non-league.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I think he is an actual liability who has lost us more points than he has helped to gain.
    Seth…..have you really thought that through? 🤔
    Enlighten me.
    You know what seth……I honestly can’t be bothered.
  • Options
    I've no idea how he became their player of the year and I don't care.
    I only care about what I've seen of him in a Charlton shirt and that just isn't good enough. I haven't seen any aspect of his game that is good.
    I guarantee that, if he is our number one choice next season, we will be struggling to keep the ball out of our net. 
  • Options
    Andy Petterson was our player of the year; similarly inept on crosses although not the worst shot stopper .  Still, player of the year very often says more about the rest of the team - I.e the least bad .  
  • Options
    I only care about what I've seen of him in a Charlton shirt and that just isn't good enough. I haven't seen any aspect of his game that is good.
    I guarantee that, if he is our number one choice next season, we will be struggling to keep the ball out of our net. 
    I don't think that's fair, he's a decent shot stopper, made some decent saves this season. But yeah he's not been good enough generally, but I just feel a more settled defence in front would help. Perhaps not enough though, we do need a decent keeper as competition as a bare minimum. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Until it turns out neither of them are any good in which case you and everyone else would be on here moaning about recruitment and coaching and temperature of the half time bovril etc. etc.
  • Options

• Options
    I don't think that's fair, he's a decent shot stopper, made some decent saves this season. But yeah he's not been good enough generally, but I just feel a more settled defence in front would help. Perhaps not enough though, we do need a decent keeper as competition as a bare minimum. 
    I agree that the defence hasn't been good enough but I don't think that the two are linked.
    I don't think that MacG is a particularly good shot stopper. He saves shots obviously but all goalkeepers save shots. I don't think that he saves too many that you wouldn't expect him to save. The weak shot that he spilled last night was embarrassing. 
    I would be disappointed if he is even our back-up keeper next season. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    He is ok. Could we get better, possibly. Could we get  worse, possibly. Not the reason we haven't made the play offs.
  • Options
    He is ok. Could we get better, possibly. Could we get  worse, possibly. Not the reason we haven't made the play offs.
    Not the only reason. 
  • Options
    He was player of the year for Pompey last season so must have been decent enough for them. He has had some good games but has made a few errors. I do like the way he has improved certain aspects and I wouldn't write him off. It can be too easy to write people off sometimes.
  • Options
    I agree that the defence hasn't been good enough but I don't think that the two are linked.
    I don't think that MacG is a particularly good shot stopper. He saves shots obviously but all goalkeepers save shots. I don't think that he saves too many that you wouldn't expect him to save. The weak shot that he spilled last night was embarrassing. 
    I would be disappointed if he is even our back-up keeper next season. 

It's guesswork either way but speaking from experience, albeit to a much lower level, building up consitency and confidence is important, particularly for a goalkeeper. It's important all across the pitch, that's why the teams who can play settled sides are generally more successful but as a keeper it's that communication element that builds confidence. So I do struggle to see how it isn't linked, although I'm not saying he would suddenly be the best keeper in the division. 
  • Options
    It won't happen but we might as well give Harness some experience for the last couple of games. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Until it turns out neither of them are any good in which case you and everyone else would be on here moaning about recruitment and coaching and temperature of the half time bovril etc. etc.
    I think you are mistaken.
    My attitude to recruitment is more varied with regard to incomings.
  • Options
    If a goalkeeper of his age hasn't mastered the technique of how to come & collect or punch a cross, I'm not hopeful that he will in the next 3 months. 
    He has greatly improved this part of his game…..I honestly believe there “might” have been something tactical about his staying on his line so much.
    It had been plainly obvious for some time that this was causing problems.
    Then suddenly things changed and he has been very good at claiming crosses for the last five or six games and looked quite at home doing so……strange if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    He's improved, but that's not hard from a position where his own fans were cheering if he actually caught the ball.
    He still looks scared to me, to come and collect the ball.
    He obviously doesn't want to.
    NB it's not tactical unless Portsmouth had the same weird tactics, that they didn't want the goalie to ever attempt to catch the ball, because their fans warned us beforehand.
  • Options
    If a goalkeeper of his age hasn't mastered the technique of how to come & collect or punch a cross, I'm not hopeful that he will in the next 3 months. 
    He has greatly improved this part of his game…..I honestly believe there “might” have been something tactical about his staying on his line so much.
    It had been plainly obvious for some time that this was causing problems.
    Then suddenly things changed and he has been very good at claiming crosses for the last five or six games and looked quite at home doing so……strange if you ask me.
    Quite at home. You must have been watching different games to me. 
    Yes, he has claimed a few balls, but that's it. Hardly a transformation.