Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Dobson is definitely a player who has benefitted from Jackson's approach of setting up the team with every player having a role.
    He's not going to get many goals or direct assists but that's okay, as he is the platform to build attacks from rather than being the creative mainstay (though he's got some good passes in his locker.) 
  • ross1 said:
    I think it's brilliant that a player is happy to be involved with schools and communities.
    Well done, George!

He's not the only one in our squad, of course. There are other very happy to do so.

• thenewbie said:
    Dobson is definitely a player who has benefitted from Jackson's approach of setting up the team with every player having a role.
    He's not going to get many goals or direct assists but that's okay, as he is the platform to build attacks from rather than being the creative mainstay (though he's got some good passes in his locker.) 
    As we saw yesterday against Ipswich with the killer pass which set Washo free, which led to Stockley's goal.

That was great vision and an incisive pass. Great awareness and instant execution.

• In recent games, haven't heard the guy in the west upper that boo's and shouted at him every 5 minutes. I wonder why
  • Lee Johnson got this one wrong didn't he, top player, will only get better
  • kind of reminds me of diego poyet in that half a season he looked amazing for us. Breaks the play up well, gets the ball, looks up and spreads the play to either wing. Simple, but done very well. 
  • kind of reminds me of diego poyet in that half a season he looked amazing for us. Breaks the play up well, gets the ball, looks up and spreads the play to either wing. Simple, but done very well. 

Different player imo... He covers far more ground than Poyet did
  • In recent games, haven't heard the guy in the west upper that boo's and shouted at him every 5 minutes. I wonder why
    With the bigger crowds, he can't see ..... the Bloke in Front of him is standing up. Siddarn!  :wink:

I normally compare him to Danny Hollands, though Dobson seems better at the tackling side 
  • thenewbie said:
    kind of reminds me of diego poyet in that half a season he looked amazing for us. Breaks the play up well, gets the ball, looks up and spreads the play to either wing. Simple, but done very well. 
    I normally compare him to Danny Hollands, though Dobson seems better at the tackling side 
    probably a better comparison!
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been really impressed by his range of passing. You get real Premier League academy vibes from the way he looks up and wants to switch it out wide as soon as he's taken his touch, or wants to slide the ball through behind the defence. It's a great thing for our midfield because teams can't just sit on Lee to snuff out our creative outet, they've got to watch Lee, make sure Gilbey doesn't run through them and make sure someone's getting tight to Dobson so he doesn't have all the time in the world to put our wingers in behind their defence. He was trying to be very tidy when he first started with us, it looks like Jackson has given him the confidence to express himself more on the ball when he's not kicking lumps out of people. Looking like a player who could do it at a higher level, hopefully we'll add at least an extra year onto his contract at the end of the season if he's kept up his perfomances
  • thenewbie said:
    kind of reminds me of diego poyet in that half a season he looked amazing for us. Breaks the play up well, gets the ball, looks up and spreads the play to either wing. Simple, but done very well. 

I think Gilbey is like a better Danny Hollands... Proper box-to-box and crops up with a goal

• Give both Dobson and Gilbert new extended contracts.
  • I have seen from day one that he had the potential to be the player he is now but to do it so quickly is impressive. I would go as far to say that he has become pretty irreplaceable for us.
  • He is a total rising star. Just keep doing what you do George.
  • POTY by a country mile.
  • Agreed, he’s my POTY so far, epitomises everything you expect from a player wearing the shirt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely needs a song. He’s our best player by a mile.
  • CAFCsayer said:
    thenewbie said:

I think Gilbey is like a better Danny Hollands... Proper box-to-box and crops up with a goal

Based on what I have seen of Gilbey so far he would have got in the 101 points team ahead of Danny Hollands. 
  • For the me the most impressive thing is how he has recovered mental from his early season issues.  Yes there was a change of manager and a "clean slate" but he must of thought here ago again, after being frozen out at Sunderland. 
  • The most intelligent footballer we've got. Tackles brilliantly and always spots the pass and can do it accurately. Love watching him. Worth a song far more than Lee. "George Dobson, George Dobson/ Tackles hard and always robs 'em. "  I'll get me coat. 
  • Definitely needs a song. He’s our best player by a mile.
    Agreed. He had one sung earlier in the season but it never took off.
  • mendonca said:
    Another solid performance yesterday. He really has been doing his job excellently for some time now. Lee and Gilbey/Morgan are meant to be contributing more in the final third for this midfield triangle to fully click.

Why no song for him still? A loanee who we might not sign gets sung his name more than our likely poty. 
    You write it & I'll sing it.
  • Imagine how nuts the north stand would go away if he scored!
  • George is definitely my POTY at the moment.
  • George is definitely my POTY at the moment.
    Mine too … easily