Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• Leuth said:
    I was saying to seth plum at the game - I don't think Garner turned up and expected Dobson to be in his starting midfield, but he's been in for the shock of his life. The kid can actually play? Like that?
    agree, Garner clearly didn't fancy Dobbo, hence signing McGrandles (sp?) but he's undroppable 
  • The one thing in our favor in a contract extension is that I am not sure he has the athleticism necessary to be a starter in the championship.  Pretty much every league one club would want him but the chance of his head being turned by a club in the division above doesn’t seem likely
  • Leuth said:
    I was saying to seth plum at the game - I don't think Garner turned up and expected Dobson to be in his starting midfield, but he's been in for the shock of his life. The kid can actually play? Like that?
    agree, Garner clearly didn't fancy Dobbo, hence signing McGrandles (sp?) but he's undroppable 
    I think McGrandles was signed because someone, probably not Garner, thought we would end up short there. 

We signed McGrandles while we were still in Spain which was the first proper look Garner had at the players. 

I find it highley unlikely that 1 we signed McGrandles in a matter of days, so the leg work would have been done before pre-season, possibly even before Garner got the job and 2 Garner made a decision that he didn't fancy Dobson, or JFC, in 2 or 3 days.
  • mendonca said:
    What's the score with his contract? That performance would not have gone unnoticed on Sky yesterday. 
    Yeah clubs only track players they can watch on Sky.
  • He is a brave player that plays his game. He is niggly and breaks play up, looks to play positive balls and can open teams up. He is the best midfielder we have had in years and I include Cullen in that. 
  • edited October 2022
    The one thing in our favor in a contract extension is that I am not sure he has the athleticism necessary to be a starter in the championship.  Pretty much every league one club would want him but the chance of his head being turned by a club in the division above doesn’t seem likely
    Not sure I agree with that.

If he didn't sign another contract and then carries on playing like this and slowly improving too, I think he'd easily get Championship interest.

One of the best players in a League 1 team, still only 26 by then, and free? 
  • Maybe I can see things you don't. Ever considered that? Dobson does all the things I said and a 4-4-2 wouldn't work without him.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    What's the score with his contract? That performance would not have gone unnoticed on Sky yesterday. 
    Yeah clubs only track players they can watch on Sky.
    Stroppy comment!

Maybe they do 'in addition' rather than 'only'. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    I'd go further and say the biggest difference from the promotion team and today is Lyle Taylor. There are different strengths and weaknesses but that team had more goals in it. If we had those goals, you can take a fair nuber of our draws and add two points to them.
  • Leuth said:
    This, feels like he had Mcgrandles lined up
  • I'd go further and say the biggest difference from the promotion team and today is Lyle Taylor. There are different strengths and weaknesses but that team had more goals in it. If we had those goals, you can take a fair nuber of our draws and add two points to them.
    We needed another striker and a left back.
    Garner wanted another striker and another left back.

And the biggest two issues have been a lack of goals meaning we couldn't turn 1-1 draws into 2-1 etc, and having to play wingers from the youth team etc at left back when Sessegnon was out.

That's why it's so frustrating that TS didn't back Garner properly (and early in the window) in those two areas.
  • Redhenry said:
    Leuth said:
    This, feels like he had Mcgrandles lined up
    From the little I've seen of McGrandles, he's not fit to lace Georges boots
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    He is a brave player that plays his game. He is niggly and breaks play up, looks to play positive balls and can open teams up. He is the best midfielder we have had in years and I include Cullen in that. 
    You think Dobson is a better player than Connor Gallagher?
    No
  • prob not, but we haven't seen enough Mcgrandles so far... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    He is a brave player that plays his game. He is niggly and breaks play up, looks to play positive balls and can open teams up. He is the best midfielder we have had in years and I include Cullen in that. 
    You think Dobson is a better player than Connor Gallagher?
    No
    So he isn't the best midfielder we have had in years.
  • Ok, he is one of them. Gallagher was with us half a season in a higher division and went on to play for England.
  • bargain of the decade
  • Sponsored links:

• Reminds me of, "What have the Romans ever done for us?" Life of Brian
  • That's one way to win player of the month... Run your own internal competition. 🤣
  • I've had replica shirts since my teens  (Woolwich kit) and Dobson 4, is the only player name I've ever had on the back of a shirt (thanks dad). Hope he sticks around. 
  • Captain material for me. Not the squeaky voice but lead by example.
  • If Dobbo plays well, the team does well. 
    Get rid of Stickers in Jan and make him skipper. 
  • 100% should be captain 
  • Like this subject title states, I'd like us to sign him on a 2 year deal again, from today!