Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Dobson - Gone to Wrexham p136, farewell message p142

Comments

• mendonca said:
    Like this subject title states, I'd like us to sign him on a 2 year deal again, from today!
    Absolutely, it might give us a taste of what sort of ownership we’d be in for.
  • A very positive player who never seems to give up. One of the few standouts this season.

We have to keep him.
  • I’d say getting him signed on a long term deal is the most important bit of business we could do this season. Build the team around him, he’s a cut above League One. 

My favourite player since Yann. 
    Someone's forgetting Joe Ledley.
    Well I HAD, but there goes years of therapy....
  • Don't we have a option to extend? That will be the option we take as it's the cheapest 
  • Don't we have a option to extend? That will be the option we take as it's the cheapest 
    I'm pretty sure I've read that the club has a 1-year option to extend his contract.

• I'd like the club to offer him a new deal rather than taking the option. 

And no, I'm not Dobson in disguise!  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like the club to offer him a new deal rather than taking the option. 

And no, I'm not Dobson in disguise!  
    This seems logical
  • Stick in a hard working goalscoring midfielder instead of Morgan and you will see the true benefit of Dobson. A player we need to build a push up the leagues on. I like the fact he doesn't miss games too.
  • I think we'll (whoever "we" are) will just take up the option. That way if we're as penniless as most of us believe we are we have him tied down for another year possibly on the same wages & clubs will have to pay a fee to sign him instead of picking him up cheaply now or a freebie in the summer.
  • edited January 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    AndyG said:
    My fav player for years. For me he is everything we are about as a club. The effort he puts in every game is remarkable. He may not be really gifted but he is a player that will never look back on his career and think what might have been. Imagine what some of the really talented players that waste that gift could have been if they had his attitude
    I think slightly harsh on him to be honest.. He is a good passer of a ball, and can time tackles very well which is a gift. Maybe not the quickest, or the most skillful. But certain has talent. 
    100% agreed - he tracks players down and sticks to em like shit to a blanket - that is definitely a skill and i've seen few better at it than him - the rst of his game is decent enough and his attitude and workrate is off the scale - he's got a lot better at taking the ball off the defence in tight spots this season as well -  absolutely vital we keep hold of him.  
  • DOUCHER said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    AndyG said:
    My fav player for years. For me he is everything we are about as a club. The effort he puts in every game is remarkable. He may not be really gifted but he is a player that will never look back on his career and think what might have been. Imagine what some of the really talented players that waste that gift could have been if they had his attitude
    I think slightly harsh on him to be honest.. He is a good passer of a ball, and can time tackles very well which is a gift. Maybe not the quickest, or the most skillful. But certain has talent. 
    100% agreed - he tracks players down and sticks to em like shit to a blanket - that is definitely a skill and i've seen few better at it than him - the rst of his game is decent enough and his attitude and workrate is off the scale - he's got a lot better at taking the ball off the defence in tight spots this season as well -  absolutely vital we keep hold of him.  
    Are...are you shitting on your blankets?
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    I'm fairly sure Millwall are not the only ones who have noticed him but I would also say he is happy where he is.  Unfortunately money talks so we ought to be considering plopping a very healthy contract in front of him.
    JFC himself admitted to my friend his contract went from c£3k a week to £6k a week once he made another league appearance - which he then did.  I completely agree Dobbo deserves that and if we can't offer that then his days as an Addick are likely to be numbered

Once in a while a player comes along that "fits" at a club.  They have the right attitude, spirit and level of performance.  It doesn't happen all that often but he really is like a modern Kinsella in my opinion and we should be looking to retain hi. rather than seeing pound signs.
    A new contract would tell us EVERYTHING we need to know about potential ownership of the club.  Are we trying to scrape by on the bare minimum or are we going to make a go at getting out of this division
    I know for a fact from a source who regularly travels to away games with Dobbo’s dad that George loves this club. Money talks though and we all know the club is broke so a sale looks highly likely.
  • Would be very interesting to see if he could manage the step up to the Championship. The pace and quality increases and I'd be worried he'd be a yard behind. 

For where we are right now he's perfect. 
  • Even when he's shagged out from the start he's still in the top few we have
    He should get most of this week off to rest up and recover
    If he got a career defining offer then he'd go with our best wishes but CAFC need to get a decent contract uplift and extension on the table this month, we need to keep hold of him, he's the fulcrum on which the current form is anchored
  • Would be very interesting to see if he could manage the step up to the Championship. The pace and quality increases and I'd be worried he'd be a yard behind. 

This is the major unknown with him - and why I think it’s less likely we lose him than some other folks believe. 

It happened to Danny Hollands and I remember thinking he was better than Dale Stephens in League One.
  • Definitely showed signs of tiredness today.

Those all night negotiations with Millwall clearly taking their toll  ;)
  • edited January 2023
    As someone else said above, he is my favourite player and puts in a shift like a fella that loves the club. 
    If he goes, it will be just one more backward step, like Cullen going (from WHU to Anderlect) for 500k (same as we paid for Kirk).  
    We sign 5 or 6 players, a couple are OK, a couple are pants, and one is a real find. We will have to go round that circus again and there is no guarantee that we will find a player like him. 

This is the major unknown with him - and why I think it’s less likely we lose him than some other folks believe. 

It happened to Danny Hollands and I remember thinking he was better than Dale Stephens in League One.
    I thought Stephens would either go to the Premier league or stay at league 1 level.  Hugh ceiling, low floor.  Hollands I though was low ceiling high floor and that top league 1/lower championship was his level and didn't have "it" to go further.

Dobson is a real head scratcher for me.  I can't see why there hasn't been more interest from championship clubs.  Its almost certain we haven't turned down a serious bid for him, because ot would have leaked from somewhere.

Brilliant at Walsall, Sunderland gave him a very good contract, then didn't play him, actually paid him to leave.  Despite how good he was for AFCW there weren't a queue of takers.  Adkins didn't fancy him, Garner was initially a bit sceptical.  

I really don't get what I, and by the sounds of it everyone else, can't see?

The only thing I can think of is that if you want, and can have, the majority of possession he becomes less effective.  That still wouldn't explain why 75% of the championship haven't tried to get him.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Would be very interesting to see if he could manage the step up to the Championship. The pace and quality increases and I'd be worried he'd be a yard behind. 

I thought Stephens would either go to the Premier league or stay at league 1 level.  Hugh ceiling, low floor.  Hollands I though was low ceiling high floor and that top league 1/lower championship was his level and didn't have "it" to go further.

Dobson is a real head scratcher for me.  I can't see why there hasn't been more interest from championship clubs.  Its almost certain we haven't turned down a serious bid for him, because ot would have leaked from somewhere.

Brilliant at Walsall, Sunderland gave him a very good contract, then didn't play him, actually paid him to leave.  Despite how good he was for AFCW there weren't a queue of takers.  Adkins didn't fancy him, Garner was initially a bit sceptical.  

I really don't get what I, and by the sounds of it everyone else, can't see?

The only thing I can think of is that if you want, and can have, the majority of possession he becomes less effective.  That still wouldn't explain why 75% of the championship haven't tried to get him.
    I think/guess it's maybe that he's perceived as "just" a midfield enforcer. Incorrectly IMO, he's much better at passing than first seems, but due to his role/our system he's not had a lot of chances to flex his metaphorical muscles and show what he can do. 

If I had to take a stab I'd suggest that he's seen as someone who is very very good but for one specific job when at Championship level the general taste seems to be for more "complete" midfielders. I'm not saying this is my own opinion, I think he's got a lot to offer, but it would explain it a bit perhaps.

There is also the fact that he has not proven himself at a successful club yet. Through no fault of his own he ends up being a good player but at struggling sides so maybe clubs question if he's genuinely good or just looks better in the circumstances. Again probably unfair on him but would possibly explain why he's not getting much apparent hard interest.

Frankly I don't care. The longer we can keep him the better.