Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    This interview really gives off the impression he's off. More than the Charlton Live one. He's clearly gutted though https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1785326297759007134
    Nah, still sounds very undecided, and until it is resolved one way or the other, then it's very much "can't comment too much" stuff...
    Sure we will get closure soon..hopefully anyway, and then we will hear some positive news...👍
  • Options
    edited April 30
    fenaddick said:
    This interview really gives off the impression he's off. More than the Charlton Live one. He's clearly gutted though https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1785326297759007134
    Nah, still sounds very undecided, and until it is resolved one way or the other, then it's very much "can't comment too much" stuff...
    Sure we will get closure soon..hopefully anyway, and then we will hear some positive news...👍
    It still suggests he's not looking to leave.
    This...
    I am sure that he may well be regretting doing the pre contract now that NJ has arroved and he can see where we are going next season...he looked a bit sad that he may have acted in haste a bit...we shall see...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Lots of ifs on this thread, guesses, all tinged with hope I believe (not a bad thing but we all know that it's the hope that kills!).

Would I have liked Dobbo to stay? - yes, he adds to the squad, not least with his drive, energy and commitment - manifested in the tail end of the season performance that showed the mark of the man. Can we replace him? - yes, and if we are serious about making a promotion bid next season then we have to replace him with better.

There are some knowns and some unknowns. My understanding of the knowns is that Appleton and Scott didn't particularly rate him and the club were not prepared to increase their offer (whatever the second offer was - that's an unknown). We agreed to sell him to the Hungarian side for, I assume, a fee, and he was to leave in February (the Hungarian window was still open). NJ came in and due to the league position we were in did not want to release him in February as no replacement could have been found. Charlton subsequently withdrew from the sale and Dobbo then signed a pre-contract agreement to join them as a free agent at the end of June. Charlton therefore had to forego any fee as the cost of keeping him until the end of the season.

Does George and his family really want to go and live in Hungary? None of us know. Were there likely to be better offers in the summer in the UK? None of us know, including George! If the 'net' value of his contract in Hungary provides George and his family with a financial safety net between when he retires from football and when he decides what he wants to do for the rest of his working life then all power to his elbow.

I cannot see any outcome that would mean George plays for us again. As someone else said, he owes us nothing and I wish him well in the future. Thanks, Dobbo.
    I can. He goes to Hungary and his wife absolutely hates it. She is very isolated with 2 young children and no support circle around her. Meanwhile, both sets of parents are really upset that they are not seeing their grandchildren and tell GD that in no uncertain terms. 

With his home life a mess, and missing home himself, his form goes to pot and he is dropped. Fans turn against him and by January he is ready to come back. He resigns for us just before the transfer window shuts.

Actually, I hope that doesn't happen to him because I wish him well but stranger things have happened.   
  • Options
    edited April 30
    bobmunro said:
    Lots of ifs on this thread, guesses, all tinged with hope I believe (not a bad thing but we all know that it's the hope that kills!).

Would I have liked Dobbo to stay? - yes, he adds to the squad, not least with his drive, energy and commitment - manifested in the tail end of the season performance that showed the mark of the man. Can we replace him? - yes, and if we are serious about making a promotion bid next season then we have to replace him with better.

There are some knowns and some unknowns. My understanding of the knowns is that Appleton and Scott didn't particularly rate him and the club were not prepared to increase their offer (whatever the second offer was - that's an unknown). We agreed to sell him to the Hungarian side for, I assume, a fee, and he was to leave in February (the Hungarian window was still open). NJ came in and due to the league position we were in did not want to release him in February as no replacement could have been found. Charlton subsequently withdrew from the sale and Dobbo then signed a pre-contract agreement to join them as a free agent at the end of June. Charlton therefore had to forego any fee as the cost of keeping him until the end of the season.

Does George and his family really want to go and live in Hungary? None of us know. Were there likely to be better offers in the summer in the UK? None of us know, including George! If the 'net' value of his contract in Hungary provides George and his family with a financial safety net between when he retires from football and when he decides what he wants to do for the rest of his working life then all power to his elbow.

I cannot see any outcome that would mean George plays for us again. As someone else said, he owes us nothing and I wish him well in the future. Thanks, Dobbo.

Oh ffs Bob cheers mate you have ruined my day lol I was one of the people hoping this would be sorted and George stays but as usual your comments are grounded by common sense and I’m sure now that you are more than likely correct. The statement that Appleton and Scott  didn’t rate him says more about them than anyone else imo in my view Dobson is a very underrated player even among it seems most of our fan base. The way he played the back end of this season knowing that he was off shows the character of the lad. Yes we can replace him just like anybody can be but I would bet that to get someone of similar levels it will cost more than keeping him would have
  • Options
    I was convinced that he was leaving regardless of this thread, until Alfie May gate crashed his interview and started singing “10 more years” lol
    Dobson told him jokingly to F off.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    As I posted earlier……..I would suggest that the £600,000 fee is around what the Hungarians are likely to ask for, with a likelihood of settling 3 to £400,000.
    Speculation by me but IMHO not far off the mark were it to become reality.
    Let’s be honest, you don’t have a clue what they want or what they would settle for. 
    Haven’t I said (and quite clearly), that it’s speculation on my part, not sure why you find it necessary to elucidate on the matter as if to demean me….I don’t think my figures are a million miles away from any final sum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    last season's POTY & this season's runner up
    Small point but it was the year before - Rak Sakyi last year.

Being PotY once and second twice is impressive so your point still stands!
    B*gger ! And I was doing so well...!  :)
  • Options
    edited April 30
    If @Mendonca In Asdas changes name to Dobson in Asdas, we might find out more.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    When did this forum become so out of step with the rest of the fanbase
    I think it's because the majority on CL don't regularly attend nearly all the Charlton games and certainly not the aways.
    It's easier to feel the man love in real life than watching on a screen or not watching at all.
    Not sure that's true. I have had 8 season tickets at Charlton, I don't think I loved any player more than I loved Darren Bent, he left during my last season ticket. However the fact he was in the prem league is probably why
    I've no idea what relevance your comment adds?
    If anything you are a good example of what I said.
    Your man love for Darren Bent was when you last had a S/T. 

Did you attend the majority of Charlton games this season, ie more than 31 league games?
    I'm not judging anyone, just offering an explanation as to why many CL posters are out of touch with the views of those that attend the majority of games.
    Completely agree @Covered End , never known it to be so much like this away from the reality. 10 years ago this place was much more in line with the majority of the supporters thinking.

It was so noticebale that in the Appleton era on here it was a lot more that time had to be given to him. At the actual games the real hard core of the away supporters were proper giving him both barrels.  In the past those set of supporters are generally the last to turn (which for me shows what a clueless idiot he really was) and 10 years ago their mood would have been reflected on here.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Can't see why HE can't comment....its his contract ffs !  Take ownership of the situation young man. YOU signed a contract with another club to start in July....if you're heart is set on a move then just say so. If not then admit you goofed & are trying to thrash out a deal to stay

Jesus. Anyone would think someone put a gun against his head or is keeping his wife hostage. 
  • Options
    Don't think I've posted before on this thread but there is a comment I want to make before it's finally clarified where Dobbo will ply his trade next season.

I agree that we have little if no idea of the details of the contract offer made by Scott but clearly it wasn't what our captain & his adviser/s felt was fair. 

Those of us who have watched George play week in, week out either in person or via the stream, surely would agree with me that he's been possibly THE most consistent , even outstanding player in the team since he arrived. 

And yet, as rumours would have it, the offer was disappointing, and dare I add, insulting ? 

Others have posted their thoughts regarding actual wages that his colleagues might be receiving , and indeed, it would appear that there are several earning a fair bit more than their skipper. So, as one of our ever present players ( almost) , one who nobody could argue doesn't gives 100% every time, last season's POTY & this season's runner up and an engine envied by many, why the feck wasn't his worth acknowledged & rewarded by our club ? 

The main point I want to make though, whilst recognising that none of us was present when the interview was conducted, is we can only hazard a guess as to the manner in which it was conducted & the words used....

There are inevitably 2 sides to this "story" but I would imagine that Dobbo was surprised, if not shocked at the offered deal and may have vocalised that at the time. I wonder whether Scott's response was less than empathetic and advised that he felt the player's future was at another club ( or words  to that effect).  It would now appear evident that this is NOT Nathan's view of course & I would guess, that of the majority of supporters.

Should this type of scenario be close to the truth, then possibly a knee jerk reaction would have been for Dobbo to tell his agent to find him another club ASAP ...end of and who could blame him. To be told, in effect, that his services were no longer required at Charlton & that his expectations contract wise were too high, would have been devastating so who would blame him - a young man, with a young family , feeling happy/settled at a club not far from his roots and then effectively told he wasn't  good enough for a mid table L1 club on the wages he requested. 

Oh to have been a fly on the wall that day....

Of course I understand that this is a money making business & every penny counts( well, when it suits....) but looking at the standard of loanees brought in during the January window, who the heck did Scott think he could recruit to take George's place at a lower wage ? AND, recruiting players that have made their mark at another club but then fail to do so at Charlton..Think we already have a long list of those to the detriment of the club's finances. We  know this player's attributes already.

So, pure speculation on my part & I'll invariably be criticised for my view but I felt I needed to add my comments before the thread is finally closed, with or without an acceptable outcome. 

It will be interesting to see who is brought in during the summer whilst I wonder how many wrangles there might be between the gaffer & Scott before signings are actually made. 

All I hope is that the outcome is in the best interests of both our captain & our club.
    Our transfer dealings in January, of which Dobson’s offer was part, smacked of minimising spend and settling for mid table. Albeit it got worse than that. 

The unknown is whether that was with a view to a wholesale summer rebuild or just the previous years of ticking over and no more. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Can't see why HE can't comment....its his contract ffs !  Take ownership of the situation young man. YOU signed a contract with another club to start in July....if you're heart is set on a move then just say so. If not then admit you goofed & are trying to thrash out a deal to stay

Jesus. Anyone would think someone put a gun against his head or is keeping his wife hostage. 
    He’s still under contract to Charlton at the moment isn’t he ? Can’t see him saying anything until it is all done one way or another 
  • Options
    edited April 30
    fenaddick said:

Clearly his heart isn't set on a move, or he would have just said, "it's been great, but i'm off"...
    so hence the "no comment stuff", must be surely..
    Things are going on behind the scenes is my way of reading it, but each to their own golfie eh, vive la différence...🤔
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    The ‘I can’t comment’ feels like stuff is going on in the background. He can’t say he wants to stay if negotiations are on going with the Hungarian club over his contract. 
  • Options
    Can’t help but think he’s staying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t help but think he’s staying. 
    If he's our big summer story though, may I be first to say that we are fucked?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

What I really don’t understand is that even knowing Nathan Jones was in and that it was Nathan Jones who wanted him to stay and got the permanent deal stopped he still went ahead and signed the pre contract agreement. Did he not stop for a minute and think ‘hang on, things could change here, I could after all have a future at Charlton’ and so tell the Hungarians that he’d have a re think until the summer. Or did he but decided to still go to Hungary?

In my humble opinion he’s made his bed etc etc. It’s up to him to extricate him from this situation if he now wants to stay.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

He’s still under contract to Charlton at the moment isn’t he ? Can’t see him saying anything until it is all done one way or another 
    It is all done. He was even photographed holding his new teams shirt aloft. 
  • Options
    Has Dobbo been our best player since he arrived, yes. Is he the best engine room midfielder we've had in L1? No

He wouldn't be in front of Bielik and Cullen, but even ignoring loan players is he better than JFC before the injury? Or even Pratley, considering that in his last season the "Pratson" season, we finished 7th, way higher than anything since.

Do I want Dobbo to stay? Yes, but it isn't unreasonable to at least partially question him. 
  • Options
    It's interesting as sport seems to be the only industry in which when you sign a contract you have to show up or effectively they can stop you playing.

I've had people sign contracts for clients and go missing never to be seen again, wonder how that is governed and why it is so unbreakable.

Imagine having an employee that doesn't actually want to be there and who regrets agreeing to join a company not just that but in a different country. 

Surely that's got to be detrimental to all parties?
  • Options
    last season's POTY & this season's runner up
    Small point but it was the year before - Rak Sakyi last year.

Being PotY once and second twice is impressive so your point still stands!
    Forget him a bloke at MK Dons has just one his third POTY award, so must be worth a punt.

Anyone fancy Alex Gilbey?? 🤔
  • Options
    NJ said all the players will know their fate by Wednesday, so the released/retained list to follow. This normally uses words like, 'following the expiry of their contract'.

A difficult one for the club to cover regarding GD.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    NJ said all the players will know their fate by Wednesday, so the released/retained list to follow. This normally uses words like, 'following the expiry of their contract'.

A difficult one for the club to cover regarding GD.
    Exactly, we won't have much longer to wait. Today is the day until it's not!  :D
  • Options
    Why doesn't he just join them, then after a few weeks say he's homesick and ask to leave (hasn't that been done to us before?).   Or he could just play awful for them and they may terminate his contract.