Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Jeez can we please stop insulting George Dobson’s’ intelligence? None of us know what the Hungarian offer is - do we? People rarely relocate overseas without the prospect of notably better financial, career, life opportunities than those available in their domestic market.

There is a huge difference between the theory of it all and having real money on the table and just your signature away.

Facts? Facts you say? Manic Mania has it right. 

Why do some believe CAFC has any right to interfere with Dobson’s contractual agreement with Fehervar? Unless UEFA/ Fehervar are legally incompetent- it doesnt. 

Did we not establish pre contract agreements under UEFA, the industry authority, are binding to the extent of the undertakings & contract details therein? We know no detail but a standard template would normally specifically preclude everyone from entering into any related discussions with anyone, without all contracted parties consent.

Why do some believe you can enter into a binding agreement and then think you can try to find “better” terms elsewhere? Dobson’s responsibilities are governed by the signed pre contract. Charltons’ responsibilities are governed by its obligations to the FA/ UEFA. Clubs are not allowed to induce players to break binding industry contracts

CAFC has every right to talk to George concerning his current employment.

CAFC can, like any club, approach Fehervar for consent. Fehervar are under no obligation to agree.

Any “never say never” belief can only arise a) from Dobson raising legal challenge to the agreement or reopening talks with Fehervar. b) No club would be wise committing notable long term resource enforcing recruitment of a player no longer committed to the opportunity.

[I suggest normal transfer fee remuneration expectation would be entirely misplaced]

After 112 pages of semi circular debate can we not for once put ourselves in both parties position to address the missing element.

Ladies & gentleman what are you paying GD? £6k? £8k? £10k? a week for 156 weeks? In making your offer, if Fehervar have offered comparable weekly pay, what additional “post code” compensation will you pay to match Hungarian tax/ purchasing power benefits?

I offer a few links which may help your “ballpark” calculations.

These are the numbers the club will have needed to consider in February 

What opportunities will such funds offer the club in the imminent transfer window. 

Once Dobson signed the agreement, such figures have to then be viewed alongside any compensation payment to Fehervar and their recruitment agent.

Of further note Dobson, in moving to the Hungarian league with I believe 33 games in a 12 team division, reduces his League workload and physical wear & tear by 1/3rd

I have made my view clear on Dobson but there is and always was more than one equation to be considered. It is not a sacking offence.

Where ever Mr Dobson is plying his trade in the 2024/25 season I wish him the best of good fortune. He most certainly delivered to his current contract.

https://hungarytoday.hu/uefa-hungary-football-nb1-salary-wage-comparison-government-tax-tao/

Use this one for the hungarian tax, because different for the football players, he can able to keep more than an average person.
  • Options
    1) George Dobson will be silly to go to Hungary, it won’t help his career and his family won’t like it there 
    2) Charlton will not be able to replace him for £3-400k , so stupid as it seems they should pay the Hungarian club the money to keep him. 
    Yes, Dobson, Jones, and both clubs need to sit around the table and thrash out a deal.  
    It is money for nothing for Videoton whatever they get and they are not going to want a player whose heart is not fully into it.
    I do not know what transfer fees are out there but I am guessing it is well within our budget 
  • Options
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    As I posted earlier……..I would suggest that the £600,000 fee is around what the Hungarians are likely to ask for, with a likelihood of settling 3 to £400,000.
    Speculation by me but IMHO not far off the mark were it to become reality.
    Let’s be honest, you don’t have a clue what they want or what they would settle for. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    "awkward egg in the room"

Never heard that expression before. Must be something he picked up in Hungary
    Yes we have a word for it, it's called "kakukktojás" (Cuckoo's Egg)
  • Options
    1) George Dobson will be silly to go to Hungary, it won’t help his career and his family won’t like it there 
    2) Charlton will not be able to replace him for £3-400k , so stupid as it seems they should pay the Hungarian club the money to keep him. 
    Yes, Dobson, Jones, and both clubs need to sit around the table and thrash out a deal.  
    It is money for nothing for Videoton whatever they get and they are not going to want a player whose heart is not fully into it.
    I do not know what transfer fees are out there but I am guessing it is well within our budget 
    This is fact that he don't want to go? Also fact that his family don't want to go?
  • Options
    clive said:

Bless you
  • Options
    clive said:

Bless you
    He won’t get that one😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is fact that he don't want to go? Also fact that his family don't want to go?
    I'll love to hear what you have to say if Dobson does not move.
    By the same token I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he does go.
  • Options
    Anyway I am firmly in the “he’s off” camp. The only way it doesnt happen is if, unknown to us, the owners are planning a *big*push, which means probably £2m set aside for transfer fees plus a top 3 wage budget. I doubt this, but after listening to the Swiss Ramble guy guesting on the Price of Football, I would say its not a complete fan fantasy…

As for Dobbo, I wish him well and will watch how gets on. If as looks likely Fehervar are in Europe (either EL or Conference) we will have a pretty early indication as HU clubs will generally enter earlier qual. stages (@Vjacheslav will tell us). Dobbo should give it until Xmas, assess how its turning out for him and  his family and if the answer isn’t fantastic, he ahould fire his agent. Which reminds me, I need to file that FCA complaint…
  • Options
    edited April 30
    More  interested on who else we sign. 

We need a better combination of players. 
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Scoham said:
    Plaaayer said:
    If the figures people are quoting are true, it might not be very popular but I genuinely think we could get better for 400-600k. 
    Not sure why you got a few LOLs for that. Of course it’s possible, there will be players out there who are available to us and will go on to have a better career than Dobson.

The questions are can we identify them and can we convince them to sign for us. We loaned better midfielders than Dobson in the season Bowyer took us in Cullen and Bielik to give two examples.
    and since then?

McGrandles, Kilkenny, Taylor, L Watson, Fiorini, Payne, a lot others we've forgotten because they were so bad.

Yes, there are 100s of better players than Dobson.

Do we have the ability and willingness to pay the money required and entice them here? 

I remain to be convinced based on recent recruitment.
    We either keep the scouting pool to the players we know and stay a mid table League One team for the foreseeable future or we take a calculated risk on others that could be better, could be worse.

More recently it’s been more worse players than better but I don’t expect the way we recruited players the last two or three years is going to continue now.

If it does continue down that path, this fanbase has far bigger things to worry about.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Hal1x said:
    Just face facts. He was offered a new contract here but turned it down in favour of a new one elsewhere. 

Seems to me like Dobbo is trying to rewrite history. It's not for the club to be negotiating with the Hungarians. If we offer him a better deal now than the one on the table in January then it's for him to negotiate his way out of the one HE signed in February with a club in Hungary. No one forced him to do that. 

yes lets face facts! The majority seem to think that he is one of the best (if not the best) of our players, and its therefore down to the club to correct the error they made by not getting the new contract sorted. Or we could just chop off our noses....etc.

I can understand your point if view if you don't rate him as a player, but if we consider him a asset (that wouldn't be easy to replace) I think we should at least try and sort this out for our own benefit.
    But the club has not made a mistake .. they offered a contract , Dobson or his agent turned it down , they come back with an improved offer it was turned down .. Dobson signs for another club ?? Where the club at fault ? 
    The club is at fault because someone didn't properly value Dobson at the time. Do you really think that Nathan Jones wouldn't have made sure that he had a acceptable offer on the table, especially if we are now contemplating spending more money to buy him back. Someone obviously didn't rate Dobson sufficiently, or the bean counters over-ruled the football management.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Plaaayer said:
    If the figures people are quoting are true, it might not be very popular but I genuinely think we could get better for 400-600k. 
    Not sure why you got a few LOLs for that. Of course it’s possible, there will be players out there who are available to us and will go on to have a better career than Dobson.

The questions are can we identify them and can we convince them to sign for us. We loaned better midfielders than Dobson in the season Bowyer took us in Cullen and Bielik to give two examples.
    and since then?

McGrandles, Kilkenny, Taylor, L Watson, Fiorini, Payne, a lot others we've forgotten because they were so bad.

Yes, there are 100s of better players than Dobson.

Do we have the ability and willingness to pay the money required and entice them here? 

I remain to be convinced based on recent recruitment.
    I agree, my point was it’s possible rather than something to laugh at. I didn’t say I expect it to happen.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if he hadn’t signed that contract with them in February… still don’t know why he did it if he in fact didn’t actually want to go. 

He would have a much wider pick of clubs now as well but he’s backed himself into a corner.
    *Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if the club had offered him what he deserves in January, instead of not making him feel wanted and accepting a transfer offer for him 
    I have heard we offered him what he wanted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

Key line from the interview for me is:

“I have no regrets on my behalf. I do think it could have been handled better by Charlton, but that’s football.”

Thanks for your time here and good luck with the move.

that bit - why is it in brackets... All a bit weird.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    When did this forum become so out of step with the rest of the fanbase
    I think it's because the majority on CL don't regularly attend nearly all the Charlton games and certainly not the aways.
    It's easier to feel the man love in real life than watching on a screen or not watching at all.
    Not sure that's true. I have had 8 season tickets at Charlton, I don't think I loved any player more than I loved Darren Bent, he left during my last season ticket. However the fact he was in the prem league is probably why
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:

Key line from the interview for me is:

“I have no regrets on my behalf. I do think it could have been handled better by Charlton, but that’s football.”

Thanks for your time here and good luck with the move.

that bit - why is it in brackets... All a bit weird.
    It’s just because George paused and the interviewer suggested the club could have handled it better. George agreed. Nothing weird, just the way that sort of interaction is usually then printed. 
  • Options
    Don't think I've posted before on this thread but there is a comment I want to make before it's finally clarified where Dobbo will ply his trade next season.

I agree that we have little if no idea of the details of the contract offer made by Scott but clearly it wasn't what our captain & his adviser/s felt was fair. 

Those of us who have watched George play week in, week out either in person or via the stream, surely would agree with me that he's been possibly THE most consistent , even outstanding player in the team since he arrived. 

And yet, as rumours would have it, the offer was disappointing, and dare I add, insulting ? 

Others have posted their thoughts regarding actual wages that his colleagues might be receiving , and indeed, it would appear that there are several earning a fair bit more than their skipper. So, as one of our ever present players ( almost) , one who nobody could argue doesn't gives 100% every time, last season's POTY & this season's runner up and an engine envied by many, why the feck wasn't his worth acknowledged & rewarded by our club ? 

The main point I want to make though, whilst recognising that none of us was present when the interview was conducted, is we can only hazard a guess as to the manner in which it was conducted & the words used....

There are inevitably 2 sides to this "story" but I would imagine that Dobbo was surprised, if not shocked at the offered deal and may have vocalised that at the time. I wonder whether Scott's response was less than empathetic and advised that he felt the player's future was at another club ( or words  to that effect).  It would now appear evident that this is NOT Nathan's view of course & I would guess, that of the majority of supporters.

Should this type of scenario be close to the truth, then possibly a knee jerk reaction would have been for Dobbo to tell his agent to find him another club ASAP ...end of and who could blame him. To be told, in effect, that his services were no longer required at Charlton & that his expectations contract wise were too high, would have been devastating so who would blame him - a young man, with a young family , feeling happy/settled at a club not far from his roots and then effectively told he wasn't  good enough for a mid table L1 club on the wages he requested. 

Oh to have been a fly on the wall that day....

Of course I understand that this is a money making business & every penny counts( well, when it suits....) but looking at the standard of loanees brought in during the January window, who the heck did Scott think he could recruit to take George's place at a lower wage ? AND, recruiting players that have made their mark at another club but then fail to do so at Charlton..Think we already have a long list of those to the detriment of the club's finances. We  know this player's attributes already.

So, pure speculation on my part & I'll invariably be criticised for my view but I felt I needed to add my comments before the thread is finally closed, with or without an acceptable outcome. 

It will be interesting to see who is brought in during the summer whilst I wonder how many wrangles there might be between the gaffer & Scott before signings are actually made. 

All I hope is that the outcome is in the best interests of both our captain & our club.
    spot on IMHO. Bet you have RSI after all that typing!
  • Options
    last season's POTY & this season's runner up
    Small point but it was the year before - Rak Sakyi last year.

Being PotY once and second twice is impressive so your point still stands!
  • Options
    We got Alfie May for £250,000. Conor Coventry was free with a sell on percentage. CBT was a free transfer as was Dobson himself. You can get plenty of players without spending too much on transfer fees. Equally we spent a combined £1m on Charlie Kirk and Jayden Stockley. The key indicator though is usually wages and we have to be ready to play the right players at the right level and our ability to do that will be reduced if we're shelling out far too much on a transfer fee for Dobson.

On the plus side though, we can always just cancel Chuks' contract and that will treble our budget or something. Whatever it was.
    Am sure that canceling Aneke's contract is not possible.
  • Options
    This interview really gives off the impression he's off. More than the Charlton Live one. He's clearly gutted though https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1785326297759007134