Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if he hadn’t signed that contract with them in February… still don’t know why he did it if he in fact didn’t actually want to go. 

He would have a much wider pick of clubs now as well but he’s backed himself into a corner.
    *Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if the club had offered him what he deserves in January, instead of not making him feel wanted and accepting a transfer offer for him 
    Turning around and signing for a club that you apparently don’t fancy actually playing for (according to some on here) is a bit of an extreme overreaction isn’t it? Bit like changing your hair color after breaking up with an ex…

Why wouldn’t he have waited to see what his options are in the summer window where he can probably squeeze a nice signing on fee out of it too?

Of course, everyone could still be wrong: perhaps he’s looking forward to the move & he doesn’t want to say that in case it upsets people who are still clinging on to a hope that he stays.
  • Options
    Scott needs to be fired.
    Updated it for you 
  • Options
    edited April 30
    NabySarr said:
    Andy Scott didn’t put a gun to his head and make him sign a pre-contract agreement from which Charlton will get no benefit… he either did it because he wants to play in Hungary, or because the financial incentive was big enough that it was unlikely to be matched by any English clubs that would’ve been interested this summer.
    Yes that’s the point I’m making, our offer clearly wasn’t good enough. Scott didn’t value him as highly as Dobson thought he should be valued. 

Nathan Jones clearly disagrees with Scott

Scott is the one to blame here, not Dobson for accepting the better offer and wanting security rather than risking being out of contract. The club didn’t offer him as much as he wanted and then accepted a transfer offer for him, he didn’t put a gun to his head but he definitely pushed him towards it 
    It’s not quite the same point though. I said by ‘any English clubs’, not specifically Charlton.

Perhaps his agents advice, given that no EFL teams seemed to want to buy him in January, was that Charlton’s offer was likely to be as good as he could expect from a club in England.

If no other club in this country wants to pay the amount he feels he’s worth then why should we take a leap and overpay? For sentiment?
  • Options
    Hi all, can anyone go and watch the under 18s today at sparrows Lane thanks
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Andy Scott didn’t put a gun to his head and make him sign a pre-contract agreement from which Charlton will get no benefit… he either did it because he wants to play in Hungary, or because the financial incentive was big enough that it was unlikely to be matched by any English clubs that would’ve been interested this summer.
    Yes that’s the point I’m making, our offer clearly wasn’t good enough. Scott didn’t value him as highly as Dobson thought he should be valued. 

Scott is the one to blame here, not Dobson for accepting the better offer and wanting security rather than risking being out of contract. The club didn’t offer him as much as he wanted and then accepted a transfer offer for him, he didn’t put a gun to his head but he definitely pushed him towards it 
    It’s not quite the same point though. I said by ‘any English clubs’, not specifically Charlton.

Perhaps his agents advice, given that no EFL teams seemed to want to buy him in January, was that Charlton’s offer was likely to be as good as he could expect from a club in England.

If no other club in this country wants to pay the amount he feels he’s worth then why should we take a leap and overpay? For sentiment?
    An English club in January would have had to pay a fee for him so may not have been interested in January. But Dobson will probably have wanted things sorted asap for his own security 

Why should Dobson have to risk unemployment on the chance that we do a 180 or another English club comes in with the same offer? He did what a lot of players would do, take the higher offer you have now, acting in his best personal interests. I don’t really see how you can criticise him for that, especially when at the time the club was clearly not making him feel wanted 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can argue that Scott was right to not overpay him, (it sounds like if Jones had been here earlier we might have paid it), but I don’t think you can blame Dobson for signing the best contract he had in front of him 
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Is George playing?
  • Options

Key line from the interview for me is:

“I have no regrets on my behalf. I do think it could have been handled better by Charlton, but that’s football.”

Thanks for your time here and good luck with the move.

• Options
    cazo said:
    Is George playing?
    No, because then he’d be the awkward egg on the pitch.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

An English club in January would have had to pay a fee for him so may not have been interested in January. But Dobson will probably have wanted things sorted asap for his own security 

Why should Dobson have to risk unemployment on the chance that we do a 180 or another English club comes in with the same offer? He did what a lot of players would do, take the higher offer you have now, acting in his best personal interests. I don’t really see how you can criticise him for that, especially when at the time the club was clearly not making him feel wanted 
    We all know he would’ve got a deal somewhere, at the very least he had an offer here and maybe a bit better elsewhere.

I am not blaming Dobson for securing his finances. I am saying he shouldn’t have done it if he didn’t really want to go there in the first place. The latter is still speculation and it’s what the entire point is based around.

If you didn’t want to go, don’t sign the contract. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

We all know he would’ve got a deal somewhere, at the very least he had an offer here and maybe a bit better elsewhere.

I am not blaming Dobson for securing his finances. I am saying he shouldn’t have done it if he didn’t really want to go there in the first place. The latter is still speculation and it’s what the entire point is based around.

I think it’s obvious for me that he is happy to go there, but if he had the same offer from Charlton he would have stayed here 

I don’t think he doesn’t want to go, just that his number 1 option would have been staying here 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:
    NabySarr said:

I think it’s obvious for me that he is happy to go there, but if he had the same offer from Charlton he would have stayed here 

I don’t think he doesn’t want to go, just that his number 1 option would have been staying here 
    Errrrm……?????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TLTRA
  • Options
    Where would we be without Grapevine's input...still think it ain't all over yet...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    1) George Dobson will be silly to go to Hungary, it won’t help his career and his family won’t like it there 
    2) Charlton will not be able to replace him for £3-400k , so stupid as it seems they should pay the Hungarian club the money to keep him.