Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    If for example the boot was on the other foot, and we were signing a Hungarian on a long contract as one of our higher earners, who then decided be didn’t want to come anymore. I don’t think we’d be looking for much at all to cancel the agreement, as we’d risk a lot of money on an unmotivated player. £600k seems very high.

In this situation I think Dobson is probably quite happy with what’s he’s been offered compared to what he was offered by the club (Scott etc.)

Been an excellent player for us, and will be very difficult to replace. 
  • Options
    Just face facts. He was offered a new contract here but turned it down in favour of a new one elsewhere. 

Seems to me like Dobbo is trying to rewrite history. It's not for the club to be negotiating with the Hungarians. If we offer him a better deal now than the one on the table in January then it's for him to negotiate his way out of the one HE signed in February with a club in Hungary. No one forced him to do that. 

Of course the club would have to negotiate with the Hungarians.
    We’ll have to buy him back once we have worked out a satisfactory deal with Dobo.
    Can’t you grasp that? 🫨
  • Options
    Does anyone know whether Dobbo has started packing his suitcases and taken his player of the year trophy of the mantelpiece?
  • Options
    Where has this 600k figure come from that is now being taken as gospel?
  • Options
    Where's Ronnie when you want some good old fashioned facts...🙄
  • Options
    Btw, surprise Dobson wasn’t even a tiny bit reflective about the photo with another clubs
    shirt, during a relegation battle
  • Options
    Look on the player of the year dinner thread and the post by Mummy's little soldier.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Btw, surprise Dobson wasn’t even a tiny bit reflective about the photo with another clubs
    shirt, during a relegation battle
    What a b******, he's another Paul Ince.
  • Options
    Just face facts. He was offered a new contract here but turned it down in favour of a new one elsewhere. 

Seems to me like Dobbo is trying to rewrite history. It's not for the club to be negotiating with the Hungarians. If we offer him a better deal now than the one on the table in January then it's for him to negotiate his way out of the one HE signed in February with a club in Hungary. No one forced him to do that. 

Would we even be allowed to offer him any kind of deal or even approach him once he had signed the pre-contract agreement without first getting permission from the Hungarian team to talk to him now? Wouldn't that be considered tapping him up? 
  • Options
    I think that £600,000 or so would be the sum the Hungarians will be asking for, with around 3 to £400,000 being the final sum agreed.
    Pure guess work by me of course but fairly realistic I think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Would we even be allowed to offer him any kind of deal or even approach him once he had signed the pre-contract agreement without first getting permission from the Hungarian team to talk to him now? Wouldn't that be considered tapping him up? 
    No…..he’s still a Charlton player.
  • Options
    I think that £600,000 or so would be the sum the Hungarians will be asking for, with around 3 to £400,000 being the final sum agreed.
    Why is this 3-400K realistic? Charlton rejected that "realistic" transfer fee at January twice with only half year left from his contract.

The other point, If Charlton didn't want to pay him a bigger salary, why should they give him this big many, and together with buy of his contract?

I see the fact that under Jones he find his passion, and good role at the team, and it would helps him to feel he wants to stay. And I know now Charlton maybe would have add the good salary for him, but now is too late.
  • Options
    Probably but I think it’s far from over yet 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You forget the fact, that it will be hurt, if Charlton pay to keep him. That is a key in this situation.
    Without contract, there is no big deal to keep him.
  • Options
    Why is this 3-400K realistic? Charlton rejected that "realistic" transfer fee at January twice with only half year left from his contract.

The other point, If Charlton didn't want to pay him a bigger salary, why should they give him this big many, and together with buy of his contract?

I see the fact that under Jones he find his passion, and good role at the team, and it would helps him to feel he wants to stay. And I know now Charlton maybe would have add the good salary for him, but now is too late.
    Because £600k would be based on Dobson being happy and motivated to stay in Hungary so all the power is with Fehervar to name there price on that basis.

If he changes his mind before the contract even starts then the power shifts a bit to Dobson and naturally reduces the price so Fehervar wouldn’t be lumbered with wages of a player for 3 years who may not want to be there anymore so £300k becomes a lot more realistic.

For what it’s worth I don’t see it happening.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You forget the fact, that it will be hurt, if Charlton pay to keep him. That is a key in this situation.
    We're Charlton - We love the way it hurts. 

YARN  But thats alright because I like the way it hurts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I completely agree. I'm a glass half full person and perhaps wear lenses that bend reality ,however I really do get the feeling there's something in motion, early days of negotiation or legal challenge perhaps, but I wasn't getting the goodbyes, the it's been a blast, on to pastures new narrative from that interview. Perhaps he can't comment but you can tell where his heart is and to me, it's certainly not a Hungarian adventure. 
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    As I posted earlier……..I would suggest that the £600,000 fee is around what the Hungarians are likely to ask for, with a likelihood of settling 3 to £400,000.
    Speculation by me but IMHO not far off the mark were it to become reality.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You are starting to sound not so confident now it seems, where's all the "it's binding" stuff gone...🙄
  • Options
    Bottom line, if Dobson was DEFINITELY going he would have said his goodbyes etc, that has not happened so his future at Charlton is clearly being discussed.
    He's not going to Hungary.
  • Options
    I can't believe people actually think he's staying. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong but he's definitely going
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Dobson is a Jones player. He's dynamic, aggressive and has a good engine. He gets into opposition players' faces and has started popping up further up the pitch where he can be involved with goals and assists. The question now is at what point he becomes too expensive and whether a good alternative can be found for less. Going by what's been said we will have to pay £600k to get him in the door and offer him a new contract that is higher than what we would like to pay. I don't know what he's asking for but if he's too expensive in both areas that's a problem. However if we can't replace him for less or an equivalent amount then by definition he's good value. Jones wants him to stay but if he's presented with an alternative who he likes as much and can get extra players of his choosing with the amount of budget saved in not pushing through an expensive transfer for Dobson, then have fun in Hungary George. At this point it's really dependent on the availability of an alternative that the manager wants.
    Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if he hadn’t signed that contract with them in February… still don’t know why he did it if he in fact didn’t actually want to go. 

He would have a much wider pick of clubs now as well but he’s backed himself into a corner.
  • Options
    Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if he hadn’t signed that contract with them in February… still don’t know why he did it if he in fact didn’t actually want to go. 

He would have a much wider pick of clubs now as well but he’s backed himself into a corner.
    *Yep - this would all be so much less complicated if the club had offered him what he deserves in January, instead of not making him feel wanted and accepting a transfer offer for him