Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    So we have finally reached the end of this season, now can we PLEASE see an end to this on/off Dobson saga...one way or the other, so we can move onto the serious stuff of building a squad who wants to play for us ready for August...
    Doubt it. You are forgetting we will next read about conversations with him / other players at the POTY event which confirm definitively (🤔) if he stays or goes !
  • Options
    If he doesn't pitch up for his new job surely he would be sacked then he would be free to play for us?
  • Options
    Met him at Marylebone station after the game, thank him for his service and said I hope to see him next season. 
    ....and ? 

FFS, GA ! Didn't you ask him THE question ? 

I'm sure he'll be swamped by fans asking THE question at tomorrow evening's dinner.
  • Options
    edited April 27
    In recent months he has made big progress in filling in the missing gaps towards becoming the complete midfielder.
    The assists and goal threats are now becoming a regular feature of his game.
    To find a like for like replacement would cost us a small fortune, even if such a player could be persuaded to ply their trade at such a low level.
    If he's definitely off, then Jones needs to use Saturday's game to start experimenting and planning for next season without him.
    Saturday's line up could be very telling!
    He could have left Dobbo out last Saturday if he wanted, as it was a dead rubber for us.

I'm sure he'll pick his strongest side against Wycombe, whether they're out of contract or not. 
    By his own admission, he did experiment, with a back 3 in the first half, and it didn't work out.
    So I'm not so sure that his prime objective now is to play his best 11, or his most effective formation.
    Even Alfie hasn't been assured a place recently.

Yet until now, Dobbo continues to be a fixture, even though he won't be here next season.
    I find that a little strange.
    Jones was/is in a power struggle with Scott.
    Scott was overruled to keep Dobson until the end of the season.
    Jones would look very foolish and be undermining himself, if he then didn't play Dobson.
    I can't comprehend the lols.
    If the new manager persuades the owners to over rule the technical director, who was in charge of all footballing decisions, at a cost of perhaps £300/£400K in a lost transfer fee and wages until the end of June.
    It wouldn't reflect well on Jones if he then chose not to play Dobson.
    It's common sense (to me).
    Because Jones has already won that battle, game set and match, and he wouldn't have looked silly in the slightest if he'd left Dobbo out in the last couple of games.
    He kept Dobson, played Dobson, and Dobson was instrumental in getting us to safety. If Jones hadn't played Dobson in the last couple of games, it would have reflected even better on Jones, in that he secured safety with 3 games to spare, mainly because we hung on to Dobson, and didn't allow him to move, and could then afford the luxury of not even needing him for the last couple of games.
    Most, if not all Charlton fans, know that had Jones not overalled Scott, the downward spiral towards relegation would have continued.

In summary, Jones wouldn't have looked foolish at all IMO, that's why I Lol'd you
  • Options
    In recent months he has made big progress in filling in the missing gaps towards becoming the complete midfielder.
    The assists and goal threats are now becoming a regular feature of his game.
    To find a like for like replacement would cost us a small fortune, even if such a player could be persuaded to ply their trade at such a low level.
    If he's definitely off, then Jones needs to use Saturday's game to start experimenting and planning for next season without him.
    Saturday's line up could be very telling!
    He could have left Dobbo out last Saturday if he wanted, as it was a dead rubber for us.

I'm sure he'll pick his strongest side against Wycombe, whether they're out of contract or not. 
    By his own admission, he did experiment, with a back 3 in the first half, and it didn't work out.
    So I'm not so sure that his prime objective now is to play his best 11, or his most effective formation.
    Even Alfie hasn't been assured a place recently.

Yet until now, Dobbo continues to be a fixture, even though he won't be here next season.
    I find that a little strange.
    Jones was/is in a power struggle with Scott.
    Scott was overruled to keep Dobson until the end of the season.
    Jones would look very foolish and be undermining himself, if he then didn't play Dobson.
    I can't comprehend the lols.
    If the new manager persuades the owners to over rule the technical director, who was in charge of all footballing decisions, at a cost of perhaps £300/£400K in a lost transfer fee and wages until the end of June.
    It wouldn't reflect well on Jones if he then chose not to play Dobson.
    It's common sense (to me).
    Because Jones has already won that battle, game set and match, and he wouldn't have looked silly in the slightest if he'd left Dobbo out in the last couple of games.
    He kept Dobson, played Dobson, and Dobson was instrumental in getting us to safety. If Jones hadn't played Dobson in the last couple of games, it would have reflected even better on Jones, in that he secured safety with 3 games to spare, mainly because we hung on to Dobson, and didn't allow him to move, and could then afford the luxury of not even needing him for the last couple of games.
    Most, if not all Charlton fans, know that had Jones not overalled Scott, the downward spiral towards relegation would have continued.

In summary, Jones wouldn't have looked foolish at all IMO, that's why I Lol'd you
    Yes, he could have left Dobson out of the last home game and the final game, but I'm confident the fans would have been very unhappy if he had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Honestly, he’s pretty much our best player and best of luck to him. Should have signed him up but we didn’t. 
  • Options
    If he doesn't pitch up for his new job surely he would be sacked then he would be free to play for us?
    They would hold his registration and UEFA would likely enforce that and Dobbo would be left in the cold with no job and no earnings coming in.
    Maybe this could be like Bosman then and by August there is the Dobbo rule?
    I know when I once changed my mind on a job once singing a contract, I was free to find new employment....
  • Options
    Probably best just to wait for the player of the year dinner and see how hungry he is?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    cfgs said:
    Anyone know if his contract with the Hungarians is binding?
    Yellow Card

Very generous yellow
  • Options
    Met him at Marylebone station after the game, thank him for his service and said I hope to see him next season. 
    ....and ? 

I'm sure he'll be swamped by fans asking THE question at tomorrow evening's dinner.
    FWIW somone on facebook said they spoke to him and he said it's up to the club. Probably just his go to response as I expect he's been asked plenty of times. 
  • Options
    So we have finally reached the end of this season, now can we PLEASE see an end to this on/off Dobson saga...one way or the other, so we can move onto the serious stuff of building a squad who wants to play for us ready for August...
    The performance of the midfield today showed that it needs a massive overall .. no creativity no goals not good enough .. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    ....and ? 

FWIW somone on facebook said they spoke to him and he said it's up to the club. Probably just his go to response as I expect he's been asked plenty of times. 
    Well, I'll be taking a large placard to the dinner tomorrow night with " I WANT GEORGE ( to stay!) and aim to parade it around the SMT, Directors, Owners tables during the meal. 

Anyone not attending could make their feelings known by welcoming said dignitaries into the Car Park, accompanied by appropriate banners. 

I might even handcuff myself to Andrew Scott's wing mirror if I can identify his motor....

Any suggestions what his reg might be? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ....and ? 

I sat with him, Reg and May for 30 minutes on the train back today 

3 absolutely blinding lads, had 4/5 guys throwing questions at them left, right and centre and had no issues answering them all.

All 3 an absolute credit to the club
    So come on. Spill the beans. What was said? 

In particular, did Alfie tell you if he was going to hand a transfer request in ?  :-)
  • Options
    ....and ? 

3 absolutely blinding lads, had 4/5 guys throwing questions at them left, right and centre and had no issues answering them all.

In particular, did Alfie tell you if he was going to hand a transfer request in ?  :-)
    In regards to Dobbo pretty much what has been said above

Firstly its down to the club and Dobbo to reach an agreement but they are far away atm

Then if that happens the club need to negotiate with the Hungarians.

But the main thing was Dobbo said he would love to reach an agreement with Charlton to stay(but he did say he is also excited about an new adventure abroad) 

I feel like if the club are willing to pay Dobbo what he wants he stays, otherwise he goes

May said he has just moved to his new property, won the golden boot and has no intention to leave
    So May is going to play for Gillingham : - )

On Dobson, wasn't the line from the UK Directors, via their intermediaries on here, that the last offer to him was pretty much what he wanted.  Seems that Dobson is saying that isn't the case.
  • Options
    ....and ? 

In regards to Dobbo pretty much what has been said above

Firstly its down to the club and Dobbo to reach an agreement but they are far away atm

Then if that happens the club need to negotiate with the Hungarians.

But the main thing was Dobbo said he would love to reach an agreement with Charlton to stay(but he did say he is also excited about an new adventure abroad) 

I feel like if the club are willing to pay Dobbo what he wants he stays, otherwise he goes

May said he has just moved to his new property, won the golden boot and has no intention to leave
    So May is going to play for Gillingham : - )

On Dobson, wasn't the line from the UK Directors, via their intermediaries on here, that the last offer to him was pretty much what he wanted.  Seems that Dobson is saying that isn't the case.
    It could be minor details that would nt necessarily have been a consideration in jan such as a promotion to the championship bonus and pay rise. In jan, he could have been discussing a promotion to L1 bonus