Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mason Burstow - progress at Chelsea (p47)

Comments

• Options
    What will be will be, we’re not going to Wembley.

Im not going to stress about this one, could just be agent talk trying to invite offers / get a new contract out of the club.

If I was the owner of Charlton I’d say £20 million up front plus add ons, put up or shut up.
    Rather depends on the length of contract he signed though doesn't it? It's very difficult to demand £20m for a player who might be out of contract sooner rather than later because if it is a relatively short one as the months tick by so does his value. Do we know the length of his contract?

Equally, we might be excited about him but he has only scored two League 1 goals. Chelsea sold Lewis Bate last year when he was 18 for £1.5m and he just made his Leeds debut. Man City sold Jack Harrison to them for £11m and he's just scored a hat trick in the PL. Brentford bought Ivan Toney for £5m. Watford signed Dennis for £3.6m

Burstow has to sign a long term contract and prove himself prolific in League 1 and then the Championship to command a big fee. Otherwise it will be far, far less albeit with add ons that might prove fruitful in the future. 
    I thought he signed a 3 year deal last summer?  

Sure he’s hit the first team, and his salary (should go up, if he hits a certain amount of appearances?).

No idea how much he’s earning, but at that age what he needs the most is development and enjoyment of the game, he’s got that in spades here, that’s why I’d put a crazy price tag on him.

Hopefully this will blow over, and he’ll get a new contract from us, when the windows shut, look on the bright side!!

6 months ago, most on here had never heard of him!
    Where was his contract length confirmed?
  • Options
    "Everyone has a price... If a club matches our value of a player then we'll talk... If not, piss off"
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Think this is TS making a statement to the doubters to say "Look I've splashed out £500k+ on a player, and not sold our best talent at the first opportunity".

If it is that, who can blame him
    Plus at least he's been honest about there being a value, just one that no-one has matched yet. He's not going to be selling on the cheap but realistically there will be a certain value where he has to at least consider it. 
  • Options
    Sounds more like putting him in the shop window, rather than waiting to develop him for the first team. If or when he goes lets hope we make a serious amount and better than what other players   Duchâtelet sold prematurely.
  • Options
    Probably going against the grain here a little (what's new I here you cry) but I've not yet seen anything to get all worked up about. 2 headed goals but not very much else (although I was impressed with his goal for the U23's last year when he cooly stopped & feighted the keeper before slotting home)..........although I do caveat all this by saying that he hasn't really been given any service since coming into the first team. Can judge fully at the end of the season if he gets a run of games.........but currently he's no Paul Walsh.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how much do people think is a reasonable and realistic price for Burstow?The question is open to everybody on here except Ronnie Moore. 
    18. English, has scored already. 

I’d say £5-£8 million in these crazy times. Drop in the ocean for a prem team 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest, how much do people think is a reasonable and realistic price for Burstow?The question is open to everybody on here except Ronnie Moore. 
    Bit harsh - I would have excluded addick1956 as well.
  • Options

£2m + add ons. Everyone knows we either give away our talent or sell it cheap.
  • Options
    Tricky one. League one, only played a handful of games, 18 months left on his contract. On the flip side of that though are his age and his potential plus if there are plenty of clubs in for him, could get a bidding war going.

I'd like to think 3m plus a sell on clause is realistic. I'd be pretty annoyed if it was less.

He's definitely not ready for a move yet though, should at least get some more experience and wait until the summer, those clubs aren't going to suddenly not be interested in 6 months time.
  • Options
    Tricky one. League one, only played a handful of games, 18 months left on his contract. On the flip side of that though are his age and his potential plus if there are plenty of clubs in for him, could get a bidding war going.

I'd like to think 3m plus a sell on clause is realistic. I'd be pretty annoyed if it was less.

He's definitely not ready for a move yet though, should at least get some more experience and wait until the summer, those clubs aren't going to suddenly not be interested in 6 months time.
    £3m was the basic figure I had in my head + add ons and a sell on clause. 
  • Options

It’s not much when you consider what Lookman went for and the money in the Prem.

He’s scored a few but hasn’t played enough to show whether he has an all round game or can do it consistently.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Reckon a realistic market value = £5m

TS would want nearer = £10m
    Yup … agree with that 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

It’s not much when you consider what Lookman went for and the money in the Prem.

He’s scored a few but hasn’t played enough to show whether he has an all round game or can do it consistently.
    Lookman had played in the championship and had played many more games at league one level. I wouldn't say Burstow is anywhere near Lookman's Charlton level yet.
  • Options
    £10m. He isn't worth that but if we are under no pressure to sell, why not
  • Options
    Undisclosed !!!
  • Options
    Because if we put an unrealistic price on him and therefore denied him a 'dream' move, we'd risk pissing him off, his performance levels might drop and then he'd just go at the end of his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

£3m as the "up front" fee but with adds on etc with a total value that probably puts it up to 6-7 if they are all met. Plus a sell on clause. 
  • Options
    £3m. If its Newcastle that's interested then it's £15m
  • Options
    Tbh, I'd personally be happy if they accepted anywhere over the £5m mark in the Summer, as long as the majority of it was reinvested 
  • Options
    Because if we put an unrealistic price on him and therefore denied him a 'dream' move, we'd risk pissing him off, his performance levels might drop and then he'd just go at the end of his contract.
    You mean it would piss off his agent.Unfortunately he is, according to Transfermarkt, with a no-mark agency with a handful of no-mark players apart from him. Given what we've been told about him, "humble lad" family of Addicks' season ticket holders, the idea that he'd throw his toys out of the pram when he's only played 234  minutes of League One football, and still isn't ready, physically to really impose himself, seems a bit overblown to me, even by the overblown levels of English football nowadays. But an agent, telling him and his family stories, can cloud his thinking. Because that is what they do, in order to do their business.
  • Options
    If we got £5m i think it would represent a good deal for us. He has undeniable talent, but he is very raw and has only played a handful of games.
  • Options
    Longer we hold onto him, the greater the chance that £3m could be £15m plus.

After years of accurate observation that we struggle to get the market rate for our better youngsters, I'm surprised how low a price is being sought here. That's including our friend inflation too.
  • Options
    You mean it would piss off his agent.Unfortunately he is, according to Transfermarkt, with a no-mark agency with a handful of no-mark players apart from him. Given what we've been told about him, "humble lad" family of Addicks' season ticket holders, the idea that he'd throw his toys out of the pram when he's only played 234  minutes of League One football, and still isn't ready, physically to really impose himself, seems a bit overblown to me, even by the overblown levels of English football nowadays. But an agent, telling him and his family stories, can cloud his thinking. Because that is what they do, in order to do their business.
    I don't mean today, but if in the summer (for example) Chelsea bid 4m plus a sell on fee and we said no we want 10m and they laughed and walked away, do you think he'd be ok with that? I don't.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Longer we hold onto him, the greater the chance that £3m could be £15m plus.

After years of accurate observation that we struggle to get the market rate for our better youngsters, I'm surprised how low a price is being sought here. That's including our friend inflation too.
    Agree that if he hold on £3m might become £15m but we don't know how low the price is.

We, as fans, are speculating as to £3m or £5m but we don't know what the figure in Thomas' head is.
  • Options
    20 mill, no ifs, no buts.