Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    9 goals for Kane now in 2 international tournaments. The bloke is world class and to think some people said he needed dropping. Absolute madness, the bloke will be a sir by the end of the year.
    He was obviously doing the Ali roper doper then. He was undeniably all out of sorts for the first 3 games and most of the German match. 
    Last night he did exactly what we expected from him and very unlucky not to get a hat trick. I’m very happy to be wrong and would say I am in this instance but I wouldn’t have played him last night based on his 4 previous performances.  I would say we don’t have to rely on one player even if they are outstanding, this squad has the ability to score throughout it.  
    Just as well SG is his own man and doesn’t let others influence him. 
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Answering my own earlier question here, regarding whether the referee has discretion to ignore added on time.
    Law 7: The Duration of the Match

A soccer match is comprised of two 45-minute halves, with extra time added for each at the referee’s discretion. The halves are separated by a half-time period not to exceed 15 minutes. The extra time generally corresponds with the referee’s determination of how much time was taken up due to substitutions and injuries. The amount of extra time is announced and displayed at the half line at the end of each 45-minute period. Although soccer does have an allotted time limit, it is ultimately up to the referee’s as to when to end a match.

It did make me laugh that Ukraine had 3 subs lined up on the touchline in the 89th minute ready to come on with Shevchenko obviously just wanting to give some squad guys a few minutes..............and then the ref blew dead on 90 before they could even get on.
    I don't remember seeing a referee doing that before.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with criticising his performances but would you drop Mbappe or Ronaldo after poor performances? The answer is no and it’s the same with Kane. He’s world class and pretty much irreplaceable for England.
    Is Ronaldo a false comparison? He's one of the greatest players ever to play the game. He owns the entire pitch, he's the focal point of everything. Don't remember ever seeing him play badly. Especially not for an extended period.

Mbappe.. yeah I would drop Mbappe if he was abysmal for four games of a knockout tournament. But it's just a matter of opinion really and I can see the other side of the argument. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth the risk or not. I really will never forget Harry Kane in euro 2016.
    Okay maybe not Ronaldo but Suarez or Lewandowski. Anyway, you catch my drift. He’s our world class player and leaving him out would add that ‘what if’ factor. 2016 was a shocker but that was 5 years ago, and he was, compared to now, an immature centre forward trying too hard. It’s almost cliche that people were saying 1 goal will spark him off, but last night proved that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the golden boot.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    limeygent said:
    Answering my own earlier question here, regarding whether the referee has discretion to ignore added on time.

A soccer match is comprised of two 45-minute halves, with extra time added for each at the referee’s discretion. The halves are separated by a half-time period not to exceed 15 minutes. The extra time generally corresponds with the referee’s determination of how much time was taken up due to substitutions and injuries. The amount of extra time is announced and displayed at the half line at the end of each 45-minute period. Although soccer does have an allotted time limit, it is ultimately up to the referee’s as to when to end a match.

It did make me laugh that Ukraine had 3 subs lined up on the touchline in the 89th minute ready to come on with Shevchenko obviously just wanting to give some squad guys a few minutes..............and then the ref blew dead on 90 before they could even get on.
    90minutes and 4 seconds. I thought it good of the ref to that. The game had been over for a long time. Very sporting. 
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    limeygent said:

90minutes and 4 seconds. I thought it good of the ref to that. The game had been over for a long time. Very sporting. 
    Totally agree, one of the better referees.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Missed last half hour due to poxy power cut.
    It finished 3-3 and we went out on penalties. 
    Thats not funny
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I really don't see the problem with Scots wanting us to lose. Why would we expect another home nation to want us to do well? 

This is the international equivalent of local rivalries for me.

Personally I would expect them to want us to lose and it is totally reciprocated. I never want to see Scotland, Wales or the Irelands do well.

That's the nub of it. To them we're the big local bully who they desperately want to beat. To most England fans they're just chippy, inconsequential, glorified counties. You can't take a rivalry seriously when the contests are almost always so one sided.
  • Options
    I've no problem with the Scottish wanting us to lose at football

That guy saying he hates the English is taking it WAY further though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Classic on the Radio - Scottish caller said he can’t bear the thought of England winning the Euros. They asked him what the problem is, and he said “I can’t stand English people” they then asked him where he lived. “I live in England” 

I’ve got an idea £uck off back ‘up the road’. 
    No doubt that ginger spotty c*nt McLean will have his Denmark shirt on Wednesday. We live rent free in these peoples heads.
    I do hope we win it and it get rammed down their stinking throats for the next 4 years. 
  • Options
    Classic on the Radio - Scottish caller said he can’t bear the thought of England winning the Euros. They asked him what the problem is, and he said “I can’t stand English people” they then asked him where he lived. “I live in England” 

I’ve got an idea £uck off back ‘up the road’. 
    No doubt that ginger spotty c*nt McLean will have his Denmark shirt on Wednesday. We live rent free in these peoples heads.
    I do hope we win it and it get rammed down their stinking throats for the next 4 years. 
    To be fair mate we have been doing that since 66 🤭

Although take it from someone who lives in Wales it does get tedious and something I dont understand personally. If not playing England I always want the home nations to win
  • Options
    I really don't see the problem with Scots wanting us to lose. Why would we expect another home nation to want us to do well? 

This is the international equivalent of local rivalries for me.

Personally I would expect them to want us to lose and it is totally reciprocated. I never want to see Scotland, Wales or the Irelands do well.
    None of my international friends from university want England to do well, because they will never stop hearing the end of it. For example, every premier league game the commentators will mention the win. European championship winner Rashford passes to European championship winner Sancho who passes to Pogba. I find it boring when everyone supports the same team.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with criticising his performances but would you drop Mbappe or Ronaldo after poor performances? The answer is no and it’s the same with Kane. He’s world class and pretty much irreplaceable for England.
    Is Ronaldo a false comparison? He's one of the greatest players ever to play the game. He owns the entire pitch, he's the focal point of everything. Don't remember ever seeing him play badly. Especially not for an extended period.

Mbappe.. yeah I would drop Mbappe if he was abysmal for four games of a knockout tournament. But it's just a matter of opinion really and I can see the other side of the argument. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth the risk or not. I really will never forget Harry Kane in euro 2016.
    Okay maybe not Ronaldo but Suarez or Lewandowski. Anyway, you catch my drift. He’s our world class player and leaving him out would add that ‘what if’ factor. 2016 was a shocker but that was 5 years ago, and he was, compared to now, an immature centre forward trying too hard. It’s almost cliche that people were saying 1 goal will spark him off, but last night proved that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the golden boot.
    He isn't scoring 3 goals in 2 games.  Let's not get carried away.  Denmark are a good side and Italy's two centre halves are world class.

We have a very, very good chance but there's a long way to go!
  • Options
    If you don't want the Scottish/Irish/Welsh to fail, you probably don't know many of them. Fuck them. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

He isn't scoring 3 goals in 2 games.  Let's not get carried away.  Denmark are a good side and Italy's two centre halves are world class.

Why not? You’ve seen his goal scoring record in the Premier League right? You’re saying it like it’s completely out the question.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

He could have scored 3 in an hour last night. Italy’s centre halves are certainly world class…but they also have no pace. He can do it.
  • Options
    Are we allowed to mention yet that Ukraine are probably one of the worst quarter final opponents in Euros history? 

We played a great game don't get me wrong and 4-0 didn't flatter us at all. 

Denmark will be a different story but we have the quality to do it. 
  • Options
    Oh bollox I have just seen Wednesday is being shown on ITV ! Another hoodoo this team have to overcome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This time 24 hours ago we were being told 'Ukraine are no mugs' 'we shouldn't under-estimate them. 

Now 'Ukraine were mugs' 'it counts for nothing, Wednesday is the real test' 

Looking forward to Denmark being 'a pub side' and the Italy 'not the Italy of Old' in just over a weeks time should we win it. 
    I think the Ukraine comments before the game were because of the natural English pessimism of how we'd perform. 

Ukraine came 3rd to Austria and only beat Sweden because they had a man sent off early (in extra time, my mistake). They looked poor all tournament. The only measure they looked good in was that they were physically fit. That's it. 
  • Options
    IF we get to the final and we do play Italy I think it will be a terrific game they are great going forward but although their defence has been good I dont think they will cope with our pace and movement going forward. A few goals for both sides I think
  • Options
    Thats ok, it wasn't a dig at you at all, we can only beat the XI we face, which we are doing, its more my twitter feed full of bitter Celts and fellow English who seem to want us to fail tbh
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Are we allowed to mention yet that Ukraine are probably one of the worst quarter final opponents in Euros history? 

Can only beat what’s put in front of you. I personally didn’t think Sweden were great opponents in 2018 - and Ukraine beat them in this competition. Denmark will certainly be harder opponents, no question - but if we play like we did last night, there is only one winner. 
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This time 24 hours ago we were being told 'Ukraine are no mugs' 'we shouldn't under-estimate them. 

Now 'Ukraine were mugs' 'it counts for nothing, Wednesday is the real test' 

Looking forward to Denmark being 'a pub side' and Italy being 'overated' and 'not the Italy of Old' in just over a weeks time should we win it. 

Saw a comment running down Sterling before last night saying he wasn't all that as all his goals were "created for him".

As if good passing and movement ending in simple finishes don't count as much as 30 yard wonder strikes.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    In terms of how they played, probably... But then was that down to how England performed like you say

In terms of their World Ranking, they're probably average.

If you take the ranking of the "average" nations to have reached the QFs prior to each tournament since 2004

2020: Denmark (10th) | Ukraine (24) | Czech Republic (40)
    2016: Wales (24) | Poland (27) | Iceland (35)
    2012: Greece (14) | Czech Republic (26)
    2008: Croatia (13) | Russia and Turkey (25)
    2004: Czech Republic (10) | Denmark (14) - Greece, the eventual winners were ranked 34th

I may have read it on here, or social media but its worth remembering that Denmark are currently ranked higher than Germany.
  • Options

How good a side were Iceland in 2016? Still beat us though before France embarrassed them.

This England team are different though.