Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Are we allowed to mention yet that Ukraine are probably one of the worst quarter final opponents in Euros history? 

We played a great game don't get me wrong and 4-0 didn't flatter us at all. 

Denmark will be a different story but we have the quality to do it. 
    How good a side were Iceland in 2016? Still beat us though before France embarrassed them.

This England team are different though.
    Undefeated in the group stage and finished above Portugal. 

A decent side but I do understand the sentiment. 

England had a fantastic performance, and I think Denmark are the dark horses of the tournament so you won't see me lessen them as an opponent. 

Even before the game though I said Ukraine weren't all that. Glad we rose to the challenge and stayed motivated as our worst performance (Scotland) came from a similarly poor side. 
  • Options
    Iam worried about Denmark they have galvanised after the earlier adversity and will be a difficult team to beat I'm sure. But as has been mentioned this England team do seem very different from ones gone before and I cant see them under estimating the opposition like previous years
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This time 24 hours ago we were being told 'Ukraine are no mugs' 'we shouldn't under-estimate them. 

Now 'Ukraine were mugs' 'it counts for nothing, Wednesday is the real test' 

Looking forward to Denmark being 'a pub side' and the Italy 'not the Italy of Old' in just over a weeks time should we win it. 
    I think the Ukraine comments before the game were because of the natural English pessimism of how we'd perform. 

Ukraine came 3rd to Austria and only beat Sweden because they had a man sent off early. They looked poor all tournament. The only measure they looked good in was that they were physically fit. That's it. 
    A man sent off early?

98th minute.
    Genuinely must have misremembered the game. 

I suppose the start of extra time in my mind became the beginning of the game. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with criticising his performances but would you drop Mbappe or Ronaldo after poor performances? The answer is no and it’s the same with Kane. He’s world class and pretty much irreplaceable for England.
    Is Ronaldo a false comparison? He's one of the greatest players ever to play the game. He owns the entire pitch, he's the focal point of everything. Don't remember ever seeing him play badly. Especially not for an extended period.

Mbappe.. yeah I would drop Mbappe if he was abysmal for four games of a knockout tournament. But it's just a matter of opinion really and I can see the other side of the argument. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth the risk or not. I really will never forget Harry Kane in euro 2016.
    Okay maybe not Ronaldo but Suarez or Lewandowski. Anyway, you catch my drift. He’s our world class player and leaving him out would add that ‘what if’ factor. 2016 was a shocker but that was 5 years ago, and he was, compared to now, an immature centre forward trying too hard. It’s almost cliche that people were saying 1 goal will spark him off, but last night proved that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the golden boot.
    He isn't scoring 3 goals in 2 games.  Let's not get carried away.  Denmark are a good side and Italy's two centre halves are world class.

We have a very, very good chance but there's a long way to go!
    Why not? You’ve seen his goal scoring record in the Premier League right? You’re saying it like it’s completely out the question.
    I just don't think he will.  I naturally hope he proves me wrong but our next two games will be against our toughest opponents by far.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    SE7toSG3 said:
    This time 24 hours ago we were being told 'Ukraine are no mugs' 'we shouldn't under-estimate them. 

Now 'Ukraine were mugs' 'it counts for nothing, Wednesday is the real test' 

Looking forward to Denmark being 'a pub side' and Italy being 'overated' and 'not the Italy of Old' in just over a weeks time should we win it. 

Saw a comment running down Sterling before last night saying he wasn't all that as all his goals were "created for him".

As if good passing and movement ending in simple finishes don't count as much as 30 yard wonder strikes.
    The people who make these comments are braindead. Most goals are created for the goal scorer.  The amount of England fans that seem to want the team to fail is a joke. 
    I am sick and tired of players not being able to collect the ball (through a tackle) on the edge of their own box and then beat the entire opposition on their own and score at the other end.
    Same as me. Fucking Pickford as well. He never tries to nutmeg a striker and smash one on the top bin from 85 yards.  Luke Shaw also a great opportunity to take on a rabona from 70 yards but chose to pass instead. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Kane was awful prior to today and even for 84 minutes against Germany. He has also looked unfit. The criticism was justified. To keep playing a striker like that in the hope they suddenly turn it on is a risk, especially in knockout football. There's no guarantee they will hit form. Whether or not you think the risk is worth it is a matter of opinion and not that controversial IMO. We persisted with him in a similar run of form at the last Euros and he never showed up.

It's the manager's call at the end of the day and fortunately it's worked out in this one. That left-foot volley said Kane has arrived. And thank god, couldn't be happier. 

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with criticising his performances but would you drop Mbappe or Ronaldo after poor performances? The answer is no and it’s the same with Kane. He’s world class and pretty much irreplaceable for England.
    Is Ronaldo a false comparison? He's one of the greatest players ever to play the game. He owns the entire pitch, he's the focal point of everything. Don't remember ever seeing him play badly. Especially not for an extended period.

Mbappe.. yeah I would drop Mbappe if he was abysmal for four games of a knockout tournament. But it's just a matter of opinion really and I can see the other side of the argument. It all comes down to whether you think it's worth the risk or not. I really will never forget Harry Kane in euro 2016.
    Okay maybe not Ronaldo but Suarez or Lewandowski. Anyway, you catch my drift. He’s our world class player and leaving him out would add that ‘what if’ factor. 2016 was a shocker but that was 5 years ago, and he was, compared to now, an immature centre forward trying too hard. It’s almost cliche that people were saying 1 goal will spark him off, but last night proved that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he won the golden boot.
    He isn't scoring 3 goals in 2 games.  Let's not get carried away.  Denmark are a good side and Italy's two centre halves are world class.

We have a very, very good chance but there's a long way to go!
    Why not? You’ve seen his goal scoring record in the Premier League right? You’re saying it like it’s completely out the question.
    I just don't think he will.  I naturally hope he proves me wrong but our next two games will be against our toughest opponents by far.
    Toughest opponents by far? I wouldn’t say Denmark are ‘by far’ better than Germany. 
    or the world cup finalists we beat 3 weeks ago
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Denmark are a good team but how many of their first XI would you want in England’s team or even squad for that matter? 3 or 4 at the most, I would say. Probably only Schmeichel might get in the team. I wouldn’t even take Braithwaite over our current attacking options and he plays for Barcelona!

You should never underestimate any side, especially one with the kind of momentum Denmark have, but England are definitely the stronger side on paper. 

Having lost to Denmark last year could prove quite handy as it gives Southgate an easy way to remind the players not to be complacent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Germany were not their usual selves but they were probably one of the best 6 teams at the tournament.

Denmark have less individual quality than us, but are a fantastic team. It’ll be very tough.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Denmark are a good team but how many of their first XI would you want in England’s team or even squad for that matter? 3 or 4 at the most, I would say. Probably only Schmeichel might get in the team. I wouldn’t even take Braithwaite over our current attacking options and he plays for Barcelona!

You should never underestimate any side, especially one with the kind of momentum Denmark have, but England are definitely the stronger side on paper. 

Having lost to Denmark last year could prove quite handy as it gives Southgate an easy way to remind the players not to be complacent. 
    Braithwaite is only at Barca because they were granted permission to sign a striker outside the transfer window due to injuries. Unbelievably, his release clause is €300m.  What a bargain for a bloke with 8 goals in 53 games. 
  • Options
    If England turn up and play anywhere near the way they did last night, then Denmark have no chance. 

As well as they've done this tournament, they don't have England's quality. 

I don't think the players will underestimate them whatsoever. This game will be one of the biggest any of them have ever played in, so its not as if they're going to stroll into the match sleepwalking. 

But as we've seen all along, there are very few 'easy' games in tournament football. 

I'm confident England will win and make their first tournament final in 55 years. 
  • Options
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Denmark/

Our last two results don't say that
    Denmark are higher rated in the World than Germany.....
    And just below Croatia

We should win but in my opinion this game is harder than Croatia and Germany..... both aging teams
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Denmark/

Our last two results don't say that
    Denmark are higher rated in the World than Germany.....
    And just below Croatia

We should win but in my opinion this game is harder than Croatia and Germany..... both aging teams
    Germany being a aging side is a myth. They only had 4 players starting over 30, one of whom was the goalkeeper. They brought on 4 players, all under 30, one who was just 18. 

I do believe Denmark are a bigger threat than Germany, in hindsight, as a team. They're playing for Eriksen and are a very well balanced tidy team. But that is in hindsight. With the history of England v Germany, many expected a defeat. If we play like we did against Germany and Ukraine, we win the game Wednesday night. 
  • Options
    cafctom said: 
    If England turn up and play anywhere near the way they did last night, then Denmark have no chance. 

I don't think the players will underestimate them whatsoever. This game will be one of the biggest any of them have ever played in, so its not as if they're going to stroll into the match sleepwalking. 

But as we've seen all along, there are very few 'easy' games in tournament football. 

I'm confident England will win and make their first tournament final in 55 years. 
    Denmark were miles better than us in both matches in the nations league. Didn’t give us a sniff in Copenhagen and were unfortunate not to beat us at there ground. They should not be underestimated. 
  • Options
    cafctom said: 

Denmark were miles better than us in both matches in the nations league. Didn’t give us a sniff in Copenhagen and were unfortunate not to beat us at there ground. They should not be underestimated. 
    I don't think anyone is underestimating them.

Don't really care what happened in the Nations League. Its an entirely different tournament and circumstance. 

Man for man we are streets ahead of Denmark. We just need to make that count. 
  • Options
    I've no problem with the Scottish wanting us to lose at football

That guy saying he hates the English is taking it WAY further though.
    He’s a dickhead, but it’s not far off some of the comments on here re Scottish people during this tournament.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

He’s a dickhead, but it’s not far off some of the comments on here re Scottish people during this tournament.
    Do those people live in Scotland though?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

From an English view point, We don’t want Scotland to achieve anything in football because of the rivalry and we see them as a joke team - but in a friendly sort of way (if that makes sense) but the majority of them genuinely hate the English. 

Andy Murray is a classic example. I always want him do to well, even after he slung his “anyone but England” comment in….the crowd at Wimbledon always back him. I can’t imagine that if Wimbledon was in Scotland, and an  English player was playing, would have the same backing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unbelievable, before the Germany game we wasn't gonna win in a lot of peoples minds, toughest game yet etc. Beat them and all of a sudden they're not great and Denmark pose a bigger threat.

Our tournament run almost guaranteed us to play either one of the last 2 world cup winners or Euro winners. We get through it and we had an easy run? Just laughable, I really really hope we win so I can hear the next set of reasons as to why we were lucky. 

Totally agree. The run has been fortunate, that's for sure but we've still had some decent opposition and passed with flying colours, definitely not fair to say it's been easy. We've only really been poor against Scotland and even then I never thought we'd concede. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Germany were not their usual selves but they were probably one of the best 6 teams at the tournament.

Denmark have less individual quality than us, but are a fantastic team. It’ll be very tough.
    That is how I see it. We are rightly favourites, but they maximise what they have and have beaten us recently. We can't take them lightly. That isn't to say we should be expecting to lose. I expect us to win, but it isn't a just turn up job. If we do win comfortably, it will because our players approach the game properly and are not unlucky. Luck can always come into it in a knockout competition. 
  • Options
    Croatia only got to the World Cup final cos we failed to beat them in the semi 
    we are better than most of these teams hence we should be beating them
    we have had an easy draw , I’d much rather the route we’ve taken than having to play France and Italy/Spain on way to final but the reason it’s easy is cos we’re decent and better than the oppo we’ve had to play 
    I still think we’ve got more gears to go and we’ll need em in the final 
    Denmark is as easy a semi as Croatia and we fucked that up 
    we are better than 3 years ago and I’m not expecting a fuck up 

It’s coming home and we’ve been in cruise control for most of it cos we are that good and haven’t been properly tested yet 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

From an English view point, We don’t want Scotland to achieve anything in football because of the rivalry and we see them as a joke team - but in a friendly sort of way (if that makes sense) but the majority of them genuinely hate the English. 

Andy Murray is a classic example. I always want him do to well, even after he slung his “anyone but England” comment in….the crowd at Wimbledon always back him. I can’t imagine that if Wimbledon was in Scotland, and an  English player was playing, would have the same backing. 
    “Anyone but England” was so obviously a joke. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The Ukraine-- Ukraine--only Ukraine. 

Name change to fit the narrative.
  • Options
    Croatia only got to the World Cup final cos we failed to beat them in the semi 
    we are better than most of these teams hence we should be beating them
    we have had an easy draw , I’d much rather the route we’ve taken than having to play France and Italy/Spain on way to final but the reason it’s easy is cos we’re decent and better than the oppo we’ve had to play 
    I still think we’ve got more gears to go and we’ll need em in the final 
    Denmark is as easy a semi as Croatia and we fucked that up 
    we are better than 3 years ago and I’m not expecting a fuck up 

It’s coming home and we’ve been in cruise control for most of it cos we are that good and haven’t been properly tested yet 
    I still don't think the Croatia semi was as 'easy' as people think it should've been. They won all 3 group games, smashed Argentina and were a decent side. You can't compare them to the present day side and say they weren't that good. They're a worse side now because 2 of their 3 best players (Rakitic and Mandzukic) retired and Modric is now 35.

There's no question that a home semi final against Denmark is an easier game.