Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine vs England - Match Thread

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    What sort of shite manager would you have to be in not getting the best out of Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard ? In most successful international winning teams, 1 or two players have to adapt their normal club game for the common good of the side.

Maybe Southgate is proving to be a good England manager, and understanding the 7 match format so don't peak in the group games like England did in 96 with wins against Scotland and Holland, but get through the group by expending as little energy as possible before getting the side to kick ass in the KO stages.

100% behind Southgate but would still like to know why if fit didn't Chilwell get 25 minutes when he took Shaw off, as Chilwell is the like for like replacement of Luke's if he gets a knock in the semi final.
  • Options
    What sort of shite manager would you have to be in not getting the best out of Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard ? In most successful international winning teams, 1 or two players have to adapt their normal club game for the common good of the side.

Maybe Southgate is proving to be a good England manager, and understanding the 7 match format so don't peak in the group games like England did in 96 with wins against Scotland and Holland, but get through the group by expending as little energy as possible before getting the side to kick ass in the KO stages.

100% behind Southgate but would still like to know why if fit didn't Chilwell get 25 minutes when he took Shaw off, as Chilwell is the like for like replacement of Luke's if he gets a knock in the semi final.
    Was Chilwell even on the bench?

There are 2 main mistakes most managers make.  One is picking your best players and worrying about the balance as an after thought.  The other is picking a formation and rigidly sticking to it even if you haven't got the players to play it.

Some how England managed to go through nearly 20 years doing both at the same time!
  • Options
    Gutted I didn't back Kane to be golden boot winner after Germany. He was 25/1 after that. He's 9/2 now:-(
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Was Chilwell even on the bench?

There are 2 main mistakes most managers make.  One is picking your best players and worrying about the balance as an after thought.  The other is picking a formation and rigidly sticking to it even if you haven't got the players to play it.

Some how England managed to go through nearly 20 years doing both at the same time!
    Harry Kane taking corners?!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Gutted I didn't back Kane to be golden boot winner after Germany. He was 25/1 after that. He's 9/2 now:-(
    I stuck a fiver on at 25’s. Gutted I didn’t do more. 
  • Options
    Just been offered a ticket for £295 for Wednesday! Best £295 I’ve ever spent - utterly pumped for this!!
    But what if someone coughs near you? :smile:
    (See Covid thread).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maguire seems like such a top bloke. And what a player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Thought it the other day but would Chris Powell be that bad a choice as U21 Manager? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chris Powell "seems" a positive character at the England camp - The bloke asking the question has done no research into Chrissy has he
  • Options
    There is no doubt that Kane was awful in the first three games - even Southgate dragged him off vs Scotland and you don't take your skipper off unless he is having an absolute mare.

However, to be fair to Kane, part of the problem he had was that he was absolutely isolated in that central channel of the pitch, he often had no team mate within thirty yards so had no chance of any the type of combinations that he plays with Son at Tottenham where they often link in the middle and then have a third man running in behind.

Instead, Kane was getting the ball with Sterling and Foden thirty yards away on the flanks and the midfielders, except occasionally Mount, sitting back and not joining the attack.

It was a similar story against Germany until Grealish came on and we finally got and kept the ball deep in German territory and we could get the ball into the box from good positions.

Against Ukraine the problem was solved by Sterling putting in Kane early for the first goal and suddenly it's a different game with Ukraine forced to come out and play, leaving more space to play in.

Kane has no pace so can't run in behind, he needs his support players close to him so that he can build and finish attacks.
  • Options
    1. RedChaser said:

#madeinpalace
  • Options
    For some reason Powell seems older than Southgate but they are more or less the same age and probably came through the youth system at P*****e together.

Powell got shipped out to Southend and Southgate stayed and prospered, I always liked him as a player too, very classy on the ball.
  • Options
    For some reason Powell seems older than Southgate but they are more or less the same age and probably came through the youth system at P*****e together.

Powell got shipped out to Southend and Southgate stayed and prospered, I always liked him as a player too, very classy on the ball.
    Played for England together as well. Think i read that Southgate was in the side for 3 of Powell's 5 caps
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Played for England together as well. Think i read that Southgate was in the side for 3 of Powell's 5 caps
    I wonder if Chris honestly thought he would ever play for England in 1996?
  • Options

Yeah they played together against Mexico and the Netherlands (the latter twice)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RedChaser said:

That's the first time I've seen SCP not looking extremely trim and fit.  He needs to stop getting piggy backs off Grealish and run around some more himself.