Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Something nice happened today

Comments

• Options
    Nothing wrong with Waikato, it’s just that a major part of the province has been added to Auckland as a high level risk of COVID and travel is restricted.  Had KiwiValley managed to travel to Rotorua from Auckland or Waikato unsanctioned he would have broken the law.

Much of Waikato’s COVID problem has been laid at the door of the gangs who apparently couldn’t give a stuff.
    I heard it was because they can’t sell their wares very easily in Auckland so was doing so in the Waikato 
  • Options
    Mosscat said:
    Saw a white squirrel in my mums garden
    Is that a white red squirrel or a white grey squirrel? The former is good luck , the latter means you are going to get your nads stuck in the door of the microwave (fingers crossed for you)
  • Options
    Nice one Gary. 
    Let’s hope their kindness gets reciprocated back to them somehow. 

Glad your injuries were ‘minor’ considering the speed you were going. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More something thats happened the last couple of days.

My Son started nursery three weeks ago, is three and a half and is sadly very much what I'd call a lockdown baby, in the sense that his social skills with other children isnt brilliant, whilst he's largely non-verbal... I mean he can come out with words (a lot arent completely clear, but you can tell what he's trying to say) but unfortunately you cant have a conversation with him yet.

Because of this, and his tendancy to play independently (something he's inheriting from his Father, whoever he is), he's not quite doing the full 30-hours at nursery, instead is only there for the mornings. We finally found out yesterday that this is understandably mainly for his own safety, e.g. he needs to listen more to the teachers.

We found it ironic last week though, as we've been told he doesnt play with the other children at Nursery, yet we were at my Sisters wedding last Friday and had a great time interacting with the other children

Seems to have really helped him, ironically we've realised that an old neighbour of ours have a Son that attends two days a week... He and William dont just play together but we were all walking home (as seems they live just round the corner) talking on Thursday, and seems that their little boy has exactly the same verbal issues so hopefully they can learn together and improve their skills.

We also learnt yesterday that William now has another little friend at Nursery through a shared love of dinosaurs.

I've never truly been bothered about his speech delay - He's a smart little boy, understands what is asked of him here at home and just loves to help with literally everything... But its bloody great to see he's making friends and isnt constantly going to be a loner.
    My wife has dealt with situations like this with late developing speech and it’s surprising how quickly kids develop once they start. Wish you well mate.
    Cheers mate - Its been frustrating as everyone has said that William needs speech therapy but the health visitors are basically passing the buck saying that it sounds like we're doing everything we can to help, and that any application needs to come from the school - Whilst the latter are claiming thats rubbish.

We've got fed up of their crap now so have looked into doing it privately and have someone coming over Monday.

I've always had the view though, that William just needs to be around the other kids as much as possible, listening to what they're coming out with and he'll surely pick it up himself - e.g. Out of the blue he's suddenly started to wave his hands by his face whilst poking his tongue out, none of us do that around him so can only think that he's seen the other children doing it at Nursery and has picked it up there.
  • Options

My Son started nursery three weeks ago, is three and a half and is sadly very much what I'd call a lockdown baby, in the sense that his social skills with other children isnt brilliant, whilst he's largely non-verbal... I mean he can come out with words (a lot arent completely clear, but you can tell what he's trying to say) but unfortunately you cant have a conversation with him yet.

Because of this, and his tendancy to play independently (something he's inheriting from his Father, whoever he is), he's not quite doing the full 30-hours at nursery, instead is only there for the mornings. We finally found out yesterday that this is understandably mainly for his own safety, e.g. he needs to listen more to the teachers.

We found it ironic last week though, as we've been told he doesnt play with the other children at Nursery, yet we were at my Sisters wedding last Friday and had a great time interacting with the other children

Seems to have really helped him, ironically we've realised that an old neighbour of ours have a Son that attends two days a week... He and William dont just play together but we were all walking home (as seems they live just round the corner) talking on Thursday, and seems that their little boy has exactly the same verbal issues so hopefully they can learn together and improve their skills.

We also learnt yesterday that William now has another little friend at Nursery through a shared love of dinosaurs.

I've never truly been bothered about his speech delay - He's a smart little boy, understands what is asked of him here at home and just loves to help with literally everything... But its bloody great to see he's making friends and isnt constantly going to be a loner.
    I remember asking on here about speech delay a while back as we had a child at Reading dog with that very issue and I’d never heard of it let alone had any experience of it. 
    A week ago the lad who comes to see us in the playground daily as they leave left early with his mum, we had the opportunity to speak alone for the first time and she told me her son came home regularly and told her about meeting the Reading dogs and who was who and so on. Instead of sitting down with him and having to encourage him to speak he would want to tell her of his experience that day. He’s a smashing lad who gains confidence around the dogs yet still understands and respects their space and relays that to other children who may quite understand there are rules to meeting our dogs. 
    Obviously the teaching staff have been working with him on a one2one level but even they have said it started clicking into place when he started meeting the dogs. 
    As a parent it must be worrying, but with love, time and patience it works it self out. 💪
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Mrs got promoted after just 5 weeks in her new job. 
    There is a lot to be said for being your own boss. 
  • Options
    @Gary Poole sorry to hear you've been in the wars, but glad that you had people around that were willing and able to get you to the appropriate medical help.
  • Options
    I installed a new graphics card in my gaming PC today and it worked first time improving the picture quality and frames per second rate better than I expected.

Happy Day’s 
  • Options
    I installed a new graphics card in my gaming PC today and it worked first time improving the picture quality and frames per second rate better than I expected.

Happy Day’s 
    Have you managed to get one of the new Nvidia cards? 
  • Options

My wife has dealt with situations like this with late developing speech and it’s surprising how quickly kids develop once they start. Wish you well mate.
    Cheers mate - Its been frustrating as everyone has said that William needs speech therapy but the health visitors are basically passing the buck saying that it sounds like we're doing everything we can to help, and that any application needs to come from the school - Whilst the latter are claiming thats rubbish.

We've got fed up of their crap now so have looked into doing it privately and have someone coming over Monday.

I've always had the view though, that William just needs to be around the other kids as much as possible, listening to what they're coming out with and he'll surely pick it up himself - e.g. Out of the blue he's suddenly started to wave his hands by his face whilst poking his tongue out, none of us do that around him so can only think that he's seen the other children doing it at Nursery and has picked it up there.
    My boy had/has speech delays … turns out in his instance that it’s a symptom of dyslexia (something to keep in mind)
  • Options

Happy Day’s 
    Have you managed to get one of the new Nvidia cards? 
    Not a new one, prices for graphics cards are insane at the moment. I bought an old skool used GeForce GTX970 off eBay and its a game changer. Got a cracking deal, came in its original box, paperwork, leads and driver disk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey Bournemouth. 

Hope she is on the mend and bless all those that helped. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Brought £10 in lottery tickets yesterday, first time in well over 5 years, no idea why I did it, won a total of £74.
    Impressive... I managed to win £69

If only my five numbers had been on the one line, I'd have won £5k
  • Options
    I could equally be posting this on a ‘something not very nice happened today thread’ about the incident itself, but the kindness of strangers that arose from it genuinely touched my heart and served as a reminder that for all the bad we hear that people do, there are so many more truly lovely caring people in the world.

This morning I was cycling in the West Pennine Moores, taking advantage of a lovely autumn day in a truly beautiful environment. I had just crested a rather hard climb and had started on a steep descent. Without warning a pothole appeared right in front of me and before I could react or even touch the brakes I found myself careering through the air, with a brief second to ponder what the pain and extent of my injuries might be before my body and head then made contact with the tarmac.

I landed hard, but was immediately aware of a car coming from the opposite direction that had just turned the corner and might not have seen me lying in the road. I used all my strength to raise an arm in the air to try to alert the driver I was lying there. Thankfully for me the car stopped and the one behind it. And the people travelling in them came to my aid. I was not sure how badly injured I was, but there was a lot of road rash and some pain in my shoulder and chest. Trying to move or even get up proved very difficult and I realised I would not be riding my bike gingerly home. There was discussion among the people who had stopped and were offering assistance as to how long an ambulance might take and the people in the second car offered to take me to hospital and another man offered to stick my bike in his car and gave me his number so I could collect it later.

I was slightly reluctant to take up Cathy and Sean’s offer as it was a fair distance to A&E and also I was bleeding from multiple places and did not want to mess up their car. They reassured me that they were happy do do so and off we went. Not only did they take me there, which turned out to be a 40 minute drive in the opposite direction from their home. They also stayed to book me in, and then waited until I got triaged and taken into resus as they were concerned about leaving me in a very busy reception (I wasn’t in a great state at the time) Cathy also called my wife (I couldn’t even read the number on the phone) and they both waited until she got there even though no one was allowed in the treatment area.

I got treated very well by the A&E team and am now thankfully home, with just a couple of fractured ribs, a lot of road rash across my hands arms legs and hip and a stitched laceration in my leg. In all the doctor told me 17 separate injuries, all pretty painful but nothing life threatening or life changing and probably a bit of a let off considering my bike computer tells me I was travelling at 32mph at the time of the crash.

Not a total good thing to happen I admit, but all made so much more bearable by the kindness of strangers. 

Sorry for an over long boring story, blame the nhs drugs
    A similar thing happened to my wife a few weeks ago. 

I was working at home when the bell went. I go downstairs and there's some bloke I don't know who told me my wife has had a fall just opposite and is bleeding heavily from a head wound.

I run out the house in a bit of panic and it transpires that, because she is having seizures and is in & out of consciousness, it's taken quite a while to track me down. Despite literally being able to see our place from where it happened. In the meantime she's drawn quite a crowd of passers-by.

Someone's called the ambulance, a driver has stopped and was just finishing a bandage where she's basically stabbed her temple with the broken arm of her sunglasses. There's a lot of claret around.

Another is sitting behind her on the floor supporting her as she continues to fall into unconsciousness and start seizing. Another is holding her hand, comforting/reassuring her and trying to keep her focused. Someone else has collected up all her belongings that spilled out of her handbag as she went down, including her purse, phone and wedding ring that they'd taken off her as she smashed her hand up trying to break her fall and it was starting to swell up. 

So many people were absolute, amazing stars and didn't hesitate to run to help her when she needed it, even though Covid's still about and several ended up a bit bloody themselves. There was even an old dear who claimed to be a "healer" who offered to help. Given she ended up black and blue with stitches, a broken elbow and a fractured pelvis I'm comfortable with my decision to decline her well-meaning offer though tbh!

Maybe I'm just lucky to live somewhere where such lovely people are in my community, and we can all fall into thinking that society is a bit rubbish from time to time, but incidents like this do restore your faith in the kindness of people.

Hope you're on the mend soon @GaryPoole

Thanks and to all the other nice comments, I forgot I had posted on here to be honest, obviously wasn’t feeling my best. Hope your wife is recovering ok sounds quite scary.
    I am feeling quite lucky that I wasn’t hurt more badly, though am certainly feeling it

• Options
    Best wishes to Gary Poole and Bournemouth Addick's wife for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Not a personal story but I just read this and it gave me a bit of a glow. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-58888780