Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eric Clapton

I understand he is pissed off because of the issues with his Astra jab. He sounds like Morrissey wining on about what is allowed at his gigs.

Eric Clapton refuses to play venues requiring vaccines for concertgoers - BBC News

I don't mind some of his music, but he's done nothing relevant for almost 30 years. No doubt there are plenty of fans on here, thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    I understand he is pissed off because of the issues with his Astra jab. He sounds like Morrissey wining on about what is allowed at his gigs.

Eric Clapton refuses to play venues requiring vaccines for concertgoers - BBC News

I don't mind some of his music, but he's done nothing relevant for almost 30 years. No doubt there are plenty of fans on here, thoughts please.
    He obviously had issues with his AZ jab. Which is unfortunate. 
    Maybe he would have preferred to get covid.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Great guitarist, but a bellend.
    He thought he was top dog, and then Hendrix came along. 
    For a man who made a large amount of money from ripping off blues artists, he had some pretty suspect views on race. 
    Totally different styles - and he was still a top dog, albeit with stiffer competition!

For 'ripping off blues artists' read a significant section (probably the majority) of popular music in the 60s and 70s. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    For a man who made a large amount of money from ripping off blues artists, he had some pretty suspect views on race. 
    Totally different styles - and he was still a top dog, albeit with stiffer competition!

For 'ripping off blues artists' read a significant section (probably the majority) of popular music in the 60s and 70s. 
    Always thought Cream were a bit over rated (Badge and White Room were decent), and then Blind Faith were disappointing. His solo stuff, after peaking early with Layla, got more and more bland, and when punk came along it seemed well overdue. 
    ‘They can’t play their instruments’ was a hilarious put down. I’d swap Boredom by the Buzzcoks for 95% of Clapton’s output.
    Just my personal taste though. 
    Wes Montgomery is my guitar man.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

Always thought Cream were a bit over rated (Badge and White Room were decent), and then Blind Faith were disappointing. His solo stuff, after peaking early with Layla, got more and more bland, and when punk came along it seemed well overdue. 
    ‘They can’t play their instruments’ was a hilarious put down. I’d swap Boredom by the Buzzcoks for 95% of Clapton’s output.
    SRV and BBK are mine - with honourable mentions for Page, Beck, Moore, Gilmour and Frampton. And of course Jimi and Slow Hand.
  • Options
    Blimey.  Getting yer knickers in a twist ladies...  
  • Options
    I had no idea that Clapton was such a nasty piece of work. Very disappointing. 
    His stole George Harrisons wife, all  you need to know!
  • Options
    Slow Hand - also known as Captainhughjampton.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

Yep, I've only recently got to really appreciate Wes Montgomery and his style of playing ..... I've been trying to imitate some of his style playing the octaves on my ukulele. Suffice to say, I'm not quite there yet ...... haha

• Options
    I'm not a fan of Clapton as an individual, but to be fair George got over it. And George shagged Ringo's wife which is far worse, as a fellow ex Beatle!
  • Options
    And he was Sunderland's goalkeeper for years.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I'm not a fan of Clapton as an individual, but to be fair George got over it. And George shagged Ringo's wife which is far worse, as a fellow ex Beatle!
    Really? His guitar never stopped crying.

(I'll get me coat)
    It was actually EC who played lead guitar on that track. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

SRV and BBK are mine - with honourable mentions for Page, Beck, Moore, Gilmour and Frampton. And of course Jimi and Slow Hand.
    Does Joe Bonamassa make your list? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

Sometimes!
  • Options
    Racist twat
    I’ve always liked the music, (although I like most with a couple of exceptions), I have to agree with you. Said some real nasty stuff and done some filthy deeds. 
    To put him down a bit more, rather than waste money on a ticket, put a record on. No real noticeable difference. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

Does Joe Bonamassa make your list
    Just had a bit of sick in my mouth 😵‍💫
  • Options
    used to be alright .. now he's shite  :) .. and at 76 should retire gracefully, your time is over Eric, the Cream has long spoilt
  • Options
    Should be on the rumours thread.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:

Zal  Cleminson  does 
  • Options
    Racist twat
    I’ve always liked the music, (although I like most with a couple of exceptions), I have to agree with you. Said some real nasty stuff and done some filthy deeds. 
    To put him down a bit more, rather than waste money on a ticket, put a record on. No real noticeable difference. 

Gig at Royal Albert Hall in the early 80's just after just one night was released ended up as a note for note version. Crowd howled for an encore but he couldnt be arsed which was disappointing. He originally honed his blues from the US originals but I think I read a while long while back that he revived the fortunes of some of the old blues masters on the back of EC making the blues more popular to a more mainstream audience.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Racist twat

Gig at Royal Albert Hall in the early 80's just after just one night was released ended up as a note for note version. Crowd howled for an encore but he couldnt be arsed which was disappointing. He originally honed his blues from the US originals but I think I read a while long while back that he revived the fortunes of some of the old blues masters on the back of EC making the blues more popular to a more mainstream audience.

Yes he did, especially BB King. Their album together 'Riding with the King' is sensational.
  • Options
    I saw him on the Behind The Sun tour in ‘85 at Wembley arena. First big concern I’d been to. Sent a cheque in for tickets and didn’t really look at the seat numbers when I received them. Got to the arena and we were slap bang in the middle of the front row. Got there so early that we saw the support act, Chris Rea do his soundcheck. He made a point of saying we were bloody early and stopped for a quick chat. 

EC was superb that night and had Donald Duck Dunn (Booker T & The MGs) on bass. 

I was aware of his issues with drugs etc but had never heard of him saying that other stuff.
  • Options
    Always been one of my idols
    saw him at Wembley with Elton John -91 I think - was brilliant
    Just loved Cream
    Favourite solo album-461 Ocean Boulevard
    Clapton is God - so it said