Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eric Clapton

Comments

• Options
    I had no idea that Clapton was such a nasty piece of work. Very disappointing. 
    His stole George Harrisons wife, all  you need to know!
    I'm not a fan of Clapton as an individual, but to be fair George got over it. And George shagged Ringo's wife which is far worse, as a fellow ex Beatle!
    George referred to Clapton as his husband-in-law   :)
  • Options
    It’s always a disappointment when someone’s music you like and have seen in concert turns out to be a racist twat!
  • Options
    I saw The Who in Hyde Park in 1996 - the first time they had played live the whole of Quadrophenia. The 'support' included Bob Dylan, Jools Holland and Alanis Morissette and Clapton who was on last after The Who.

As The Who finished at least half the crowd of 150,000 plus piled out of the park before Clapton came on! For me he sold out when he released 'August' in 1986 - Slow Hand in Armani suits FFS.

He is still God as far as his guitar playing though.
  • Options
    Does he still not tell his fans which nights are gonna be a blues night and which nights are more of the rockier stuff? 

Or does he mix it up ?

never really liked his music and didn’t know about the racist rant 

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    I saw The Who in Hyde Park in 1996 - the first time they had played live the whole of Quadrophenia. The 'support' included Bob Dylan, Jools Holland and Alanis Morissette and Clapton who was on last after The Who.

As The Who finished at least half the crowd of 150,000 plus piled out of the park before Clapton came on! For me he sold out when he released 'August' in 1986 - Slow Hand in Armani suits FFS.

I was there with my sister. Her friend worked with the organisers and we were supposed to meet her as she had backstage passes for us. We got there later than expected and sis couldn’t be bothered to fight our way through the crowd to get to her friend. I was gutted. 
  • Options
    Was a massive listener of his work when I was about 17-18 and playing guitar regularly. Am one of the few people who prefers his pop output from the 80s above most of his all out blues work. 

Saw him at the Royal Albert Hall for my 19th birthday in 2006.

Superb songwriter.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:

I was there with my sister. Her friend worked with the organisers and we were supposed to meet her as she had backstage passes for us. We got there later than expected and sis couldn’t be bothered to fight our way through the crowd to get to her friend. I was gutted. 
    I was there too. They did two concerts in Consecutive days. The first day Elton played last, the second Eric did.  I was a huge Clapton fan at the time (still am despite his regrettable catalogue over the last few years) and could take or leave Elton. As it happens, Elton was brilliant and Eric felt like a bit of an anti climax afterwards. Great supporting cast as I remember it. Bonnie Raitt, Curtis Stigers and many more.

Its always a shame when your heros turn out to be dicks. Given Claptons bountiful collaborations and friendships with BAME artists over the years I do wonder whether his previous rants were those of a substance abuser who knew not of what he spoke. I can understand why very right wing views could be held during the seventies and eighties which are quite rightly viewed now as reprehensible, even by those who once held them. It was a very different age then and the world has mercifully moved on. But to stand up on stage, even if out of it, and rant to that extent is quite something. He seems a reasonably pleasant bloke when interviewed nowadays. Shame whatever. 
  • Options
    First saw him in the early/mid 1960s with John Mayall .. loved the sound, loved the band .. he made his name as really the first Brit to get to grips with the black blues mens's electric ringing riffs and runs, 12 bar blues ruled..
     word got round to a very impressionable young music audience looking for new sounds and experiences .. listening to slowhand while stoned was like 'wow man, far fucking out' .. that made his name along with the famous 'Beano' album cover .. Clapton is a good technician but not especially innovative .. For my part he was involved with 2 classic albums, Disraeli Gears and 461 Ocean Boulevard .. like a lot of bands/musicians, he got rich, famous and ultra big headed through repetition and hype. Made a few good sounds though and his private life was no better nor worse than a lot of other famous musicians who overindulged in drugs, booze and sex
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    I'll see all your 'I used to love Eric Clapton's music and then I found out some unsavoury stuff about him' and raise you 'I used to be a huge fan of Gary Glitter...'.
    I actually listened to an Iain Lee podcast a few weeks ago. Glitter still has a small following of fans. Many of those have separated Garry Glitter the musician from Paul Gadd the paedophile. Lee described the fans he interviewed as very normal, i wasn't so sure.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Just because someone does something bad, not sure that means you have to start disliking their music. If you like a song, you like a song. 

Torn on this one. Mrs AUN was a big fan of LostProphets whose singer, Ian Watkins, was sent down for plotting to rape a baby. They had a couple of decent tunes but I can’t bring myself to listen to them anymore. However back in the 90s I was a huge fan of R Kelly who turned out to be a bit of a sexual deviant too. When no ones around I still listen to some of his songs. It really is a conundrum.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    I'll see all your 'I used to love Eric Clapton's music and then I found out some unsavoury stuff about him' and raise you 'I used to be a huge fan of Gary Glitter...'.
    I actually listened to an Iain Lee podcast a few weeks ago. Glitter still has a small following of fans. Many of those have separated Garry Glitter the musician from Paul Gadd the paedophile. Lee described the fans he interviewed as very normal, i wasn't so sure.
    I think he's an awful, despicable person.  But I can't help really liking some of his authentic rock and roll, iconic songs.  

And, although it's a struggle, if you like art for art's sake, it's ok to like it, and the work of Michael Jackson or Wagner or Rolf Harris.  But to understand art better, you need to know more about who created it.  That's the cognitive dissonance kicking in. 
  • Options
    First saw him in the early/mid 1960s with John Mayall .. loved the sound, loved the band .. he made his name as really the first Brit to get to grips with the black blues mens's electric ringing riffs and runs, 12 bar blues ruled..
     word got round to a very impressionable young music audience looking for new sounds and experiences .. listening to slowhand while stoned was like 'wow man, far fucking out' .. that made his name along with the famous 'Beano' album cover .. Clapton is a good technician but not especially innovative .. For my part he was involved with 2 classic albums, Disraeli Gears and 461 Ocean Boulevard .. like a lot of bands/musicians, he got rich, famous and ultra big headed through repetition and hype. Made a few good sounds though and his private life was no better nor worse than a lot of other famous musicians who overindulged in drugs, booze and sex
    That seems a pretty fair assessment to me.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    I think he's an awful, despicable person.  But I can't help really liking some of his authentic rock and roll, iconic songs.  

And, although it's a struggle, if you like art for art's sake, it's ok to like it, and the work of Michael Jackson or Wagner or Rolf Harris.  But to understand art better, you need to know more about who created it.  That's the cognitive dissonance kicking in. 
    It does make you wonder why some continue to get played on the TV and radio.

Presley, Spector, Wyman, Polanski. I'm sure we'd end up with one hell of a list.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

I like the way you slipped Rolf into that triumvirate of greats.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

You obviously never saw Rolf live - phenomenal!
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

You obviously never saw Rolf live - phenomenal!
    Meh, he was no Tony Hart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

Aw, man, what did Wagner do?  Loved him on X Factor.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

How many episodes of Animal Hospital did Michael Jackson or Wagner present?
  • Options
    Racist claims have surprised me. Was in Antigua many years ago, and someone told me he had funded a huge drug rehabilitation centre. Not sure that would have been a ‘whites only’ establishment.
  • Options
    I've actually met him a couple of times, both times seemed a really nice bloke (but was 10+ years ago)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdWRD2ft/
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I had no idea that Clapton was such a nasty piece of work. Very disappointing. 
    His stole George Harrisons wife, all  you need to know!
    I'm not a fan of Clapton as an individual, but to be fair George got over it. And George shagged Ringo's wife which is far worse, as a fellow ex Beatle!
    Clapton admitted that he raped his wife. Which, like most things he’s half-apologised for, he blamed on the drink and drugs. 

I fail to see how the behaviour of his peers is relevant. Clapton his a horror show of a human being. 
  • Options
    Genuine  question,  how can any artist or fans of artists be racist especially when black musicians was their influence.

I am a big stones fan ,  little Walter, Muddy Walters, Willie Dixon amongst others was their influence. 
  • Options
    cblock said:
    Genuine  question,  how can any artist or fans of artists be racist especially when black musicians was their influence.

I am a big stones fan ,  little Walter, Muddy Walters, Willie Dixon amongst others was their influence. 
    You'd think that but Clapton shows that's not the case.

Racism isn't logical or rational.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It's funny that some of the 70's icons are rightly villified but others seem to have been given a complete free pass. Quite how Bowie, Jagger and Page dodged a bullet over their (alleged) Lori Mattix affairs is a bit of mystery.