Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    A lot of people on here were saying Dobson and Clare were shit after a few games, now look.

I completely agree he's not looked good at all so far but give him some time, if he's still not doing it by Feb/March then we'll have an issue but not yet. He's played 423 league minutes so far, most of those in a terrible Adkins side, you can't write a player off after that short a time period.

Please stop suggesting Kirk fir the Lee role. He us far too lightweight to play centrally.

I want him to do well for us but I just don't see what he brings, where he fits or what attributes he has that might make him a success 
    To be fair I don't disagree but I also think it's about the only position he could start in our current formation. Yes he is lightweight but does a CAM have to be particularly strong? In some games yes it will go against him but in games where we are dominating possession I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a decent game there. Ultimately though, I agree with your second statement. I think he'd work in a certain formation with the right LB behind him but at the moment I can't see us switching to anything like the system he'd need. 
    Dobson had a good game against Sheffield Wednesday and then was poor in a poor side .  He’s been brilliant since.  I still don’t think Clare is a good midfielder but he’s excellent in defence ; his best attributes are athleticism and pace .  Kirk looks like he thinks he can stand on the wing and create something with a step over - I just don’t see it working out for him under Jacko; maybe that’s why Sandgaard wants someone else to be the manager .  
  • Options
    Now the 4 year deal makes sense...  Kirk is like a fine wine!
  • Options
    Not much talk of his qualities and ability! I think that's Jacko's style, that I like. Not to unnecessarily talk up players. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Morgan makes more sense on the bench than Kirk, when we already had DJ to cover the right and Souare to cover the left
  • Options
    Yes then I think CBT will take their role as we know we need wins (rather than draws).
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Kap10 said:
    The guy has just list his dad, moved from up north to London, I am willing to write this season off for him. He has a positive history in L1 so willing to give him time to get over life changing events 
    My father lost his own dad when he was 9. Life was a struggle in the depression.  At 23 (Kirks age) he was in the 2nd wave at D Day, Operation Market Garden, was stuck in the middle of the Battle of the Bulge . There were many others like him.

They had no time to sulk or hide.

.Kirk has a fine life style and a Range Rover. Give him 8 months and wipe out this season. For God's sake why ? He needs to buckle down and justify the owner's expense on him now, not next bloody year.
    Ahhh the old "he's got money, and a previous generation had it harder so he should stop complaining" argument.

I shouldn't rise to it... but its... just... beautiful!!
    Not exactly...People should  not put forward his plight as a reason for failure.  But yes they had far more to put up with and in more dangerous situations. Wimping around wasn't really an option.  
    Consequently we weren't really allowed that option either.  It is a mind set today's generation don't understand.  I am sure Jackson will not expect this season to be written off by Kirk , or Kirk either for that matter.  
    But that's not what you said is it. You said because he's got a few quid and a nice car he should be able to just move on from the death of his father. I think that's a massively distasteful thing to say. Yes, he cannot use it an excuse forever, and actually, regardless of his situation I have been disappointed with him. But I do have sympathy for him and losing someone you are close to is bloody tough whether you're a lord or a peasant. 
    Get real. He has a job to do and is well paid. Manchester United played 18 says after the Munich Air crash in a 5th round cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday. 3 of the team were on the plane. Stop being a wimp.
    Indeed, so many wimps these days. Complaining on forums when someone decides to add bold font when they quote someone and kicking off when called on it. Terribly snowflakey. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It would make sense to put him out on loan if he's not going to feature.
  • Options
    A loan would probably be even more unsettling unless back to Crewe....could aim to rejoin and see them out of relegation. But, loans cost dosh.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Still hoping, with his personal problems and moving it could still work out. I am only glad the team is playing well and we do not need him yet
    He’s a low tempo footballer - I can’t see him playing in this side in any position.  His best bet would be trying to turn himself into a left wing back and even then, I can’t see him having the defensive quality .  It’s a shame but I was suspicious of Adkins wanting so many out and out wingers at the time and it was no surprise that Jacko didn’t want to play with any .  As it is , we are now in the position of having three good players for one position on the right. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    ross1 said:
    Still hoping, with his personal problems and moving it could still work out. I am only glad the team is playing well and we do not need him yet
    He’s a low tempo footballer - I can’t see him playing in this side in any position.  His best bet would be trying to turn himself into a left wing back and even then, I can’t see him having the defensive quality .  It’s a shame but I was suspicious of Adkins wanting so many out and out wingers at the time and it was no surprise that Jacko didn’t want to play with any .  As it is , we are now in the position of having three good players for one position on the right. 
    I can still see him playing the Elliot Lee role through the middle if he works on certain elements of his game like tracking runners and being more physical overall. Something that he’s never had to concern himself with before.

Direct from the mouth of his previous boss at Crewe, Charlie Kirk’s best talent/attribute is his vision and decision making in the final third. We haven’t seen him put that to good use a lot but Artell will have had eyes on him for 4-5 years minimum and will know his game inside out.
  • Options

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/some-buggers-in-south-london-have-bought-one-of-our-best-players-crewe-boss-on-charlton-new-boy-charlie-kirk/

David Artell is backing Charlie Kirk to be a success for Charlton Athletic – and discussed the attacker after he featured against his former club Crewe this afternoon.

The 23-year-old played 76 minutes as the Addicks ran out 2-0 winners.

Crewe manager Artell said: “I spoke to Nigel about him [Kirk] before the game. I don’t want to stand in the way of any player. You’ve got a good player, he creates in the final third, makes good decisions in the final third. There are not many players in this day and age that have gone for any money – let alone half a million quid – so I think that shows his value. You’ve got a good player, a good person and we’ll have him back on loan in January!

“He’s got a lot of potential – he didn’t score as many goals as he should’ve done last year – but the year before in League Two, he created lots and scored lots.

“He’ll obviously have to adjust to Nigel and Charlton’s way of playing. He had a chance he curled over the bar, but he’ll score goals and create goals certainly for Jayden Stockley – that’s for sure. He’s a great kid.”

• Options
    edited December 2021

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/some-buggers-in-south-london-have-bought-one-of-our-best-players-crewe-boss-on-charlton-new-boy-charlie-kirk/

David Artell is backing Charlie Kirk to be a success for Charlton Athletic – and discussed the attacker after he featured against his former club Crewe this afternoon.

The 23-year-old played 76 minutes as the Addicks ran out 2-0 winners.

Crewe manager Artell said: “I spoke to Nigel about him [Kirk] before the game. I don’t want to stand in the way of any player. You’ve got a good player, he creates in the final third, makes good decisions in the final third. There are not many players in this day and age that have gone for any money – let alone half a million quid – so I think that shows his value. You’ve got a good player, a good person and we’ll have him back on loan in January!

“He’s got a lot of potential – he didn’t score as many goals as he should’ve done last year – but the year before in League Two, he created lots and scored lots.

“He’ll obviously have to adjust to Nigel and Charlton’s way of playing. He had a chance he curled over the bar, but he’ll score goals and create goals certainly for Jayden Stockley – that’s for sure. He’s a great kid.”

He may very well end up back there on loan :)
  • Options
    One thing that does concern me is his attitude. He just seems a bit lazy and miserable, which was highlighted by Artell a number of times.

He walks around the pitch and sulks if things aren’t going his way. Even in the dressing room videos, he’s either got his head down or looking at his phone. The only time he really looks lively is when Jackson jokes about giving them another day off. 

I hope it works out for him as he clearly has ability, I just don’t know if it will work for him here. He’s the polar opposite of an Elliot Lee or Alex Gilbey, people who’d I’d class as “proper Charlton” players.
    You have hit on the miserable thing. 

From what I have heard this is correct and that he isn't getting on with his team mates and feels isolated from the group. It doesn't sound his fault, but I can't be sure of that. 

I hope that JJ can get on top of this as it's no good for the lad's mental health or for the squad if we can't get the best out of him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One thing that does concern me is his attitude. He just seems a bit lazy and miserable, which was highlighted by Artell a number of times.

He walks around the pitch and sulks if things aren’t going his way. Even in the dressing room videos, he’s either got his head down or looking at his phone. The only time he really looks lively is when Jackson jokes about giving them another day off. 

I hope it works out for him as he clearly has ability, I just don’t know if it will work for him here. He’s the polar opposite of an Elliot Lee or Alex Gilbey, people who’d I’d class as “proper Charlton” players.

From what I have heard this is correct and that he isn't getting on with his team mates and feels isolated from the group. It doesn't sound his fault, but I can't be sure of that. 

I hope that JJ can get on top of this as it's no good for the lad's mental health or for the squad if we can't get the best out of him. 
    Sure i saw something on instagram a while ago and he was out with Lavelle somewhere? 

I don't know why we don't give him a couple of games in the U23's to get some game time and some confidence.
  • Options
    He was also at the squad Xmas party dressed up as Tiger King. 
  • Options

Sure i saw something on instagram a while ago and he was out with Lavelle somewhere? 

I don't know why we don't give him a couple of games in the U23's to get some game time and some confidence.
    This fits in with what I have been told. No, I'm not suggesting it was date BTW. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    500k and 4 year contract....no wonder the Owner wants to work out how we arrived to some decisions this season.

He needs to come good from a club perspective, else we might be scarred from parting with such cash for transfers going forward. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    500k and 4 year contract....no wonder the Owner wants to work out how we arrived to some decisions this season.

He needs to come good from a club perspective, else we might be scarred from parting with such cash for transfers going forward. 
    The owner was part of that decision making process.
  • Options
    Of course, he's part of the decision making process but from scouting to signing a player, I would guess a few other people are more integral.
  • Options
    Clayden or Kirk, I suppose that's the question, which has more promise? Kirk has done a decent job at this level. Clayden has struggled to have any impact so far.

One is 20/21 the other 23/24 

Will be interesting to see if either can become the kind of Alfie Doughty type we need at LWB. 
  • Options
    At the moment, he appears our version of Takumi Minamino. Looked good in the (Champions) league, highlights and playing against you, then you purchase them and realise after a few games nothing is quite happening. Is the it shape, formation or the player that you thought had more sharpness and bite not quite up to scratch yet.