Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    I don't dislike Kirk as much as Leuth does, but the jury is certainly out fo rme. Having said that, I thought his corners were excellent last night. 
    His delivery is not in question. Christ he'd be good at walking football 
  • Options
    A luxury player, we cant afford luxuries!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I disagree, every club can afford a luxury player, especially if players around them are performing. The issue you've got is that the luxury player then has to deliver to make them worthwhile. Kirk is a luxury player who hasn't been doing too much, that's the problem. 
  • Options
    He worked his soaks of last night .. the ash Exeter lined up with basically 4 wide men they stopped Kirk and Raki getting forward and forced them into more defensive duties .. Kirk done the covering and defensive work very well last night 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I disagree, every club can afford a luxury player, especially if players around them are performing. The issue you've got is that the luxury player then has to deliver to make them worthwhile. Kirk is a luxury player who hasn't been doing too much, that's the problem. 
    WE can afford a luxury player if he brings vital quality to the team, even if team mates have to compensate for him.

Last night though Kirk put in a shift, getting forward up the line and tracking back. It was his off ball run along the touchline that resulted in creating space for Dobson to pick out Leaburn for our first goal.

Kirk just didn't see so much of the ball. When he did though, the quality was there.
    He doesn't often give away possession; and his passing/delivery is usually pretty accurate.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Kap10 said:
    WE can afford a luxury player if he brings vital quality to the team, even if team mates have to compensate for him.

Last night though Kirk put in a shift, getting forward up the line and tracking back. It was his off ball run along the touchline that resulted in creating space for Dobson to pick out Leaburn for our first goal.

Kirk just didn't see so much of the ball. When he did though, the quality was there.
    He doesn't often give away possession; and his passing/delivery is usually pretty accurate.

Kirk does not seem to have a clue on how to defend. He may put in some effort, but it is all wasted.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Kap10 said:

Kirk does not seem to have a clue on how to defend. He may put in some effort, but it is all wasted.
    Defending deep is not what he's generally there to do - but nevertheless, what I actually said was, "Kirk put in a shift, getting forward up the line and tracking back". That to me was what he was instructed to do and he did it. How is that "some effort, but it is all wasted" .......?.

• Options
    Great to have a new scapegoat!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Redrobo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Kap10 said:

Defending deep is not what he's generally there to do - but nevertheless, what I actually said was, "Kirk put in a shift, getting forward up the line and tracking back". That to me was what he was instructed to do and he did it. How is that "some effort, but it is all wasted" .......?.

Vincenzo said:
    Great to have a new scapegoat!
    I am not scapegoating him. 
    I just think he is hopeless at defending, so putting a shift in tracking back without any success is pointless effort IMO. He is clueless at it. He gets on the wrong side, is slow to close down, makes silly passes under pressure. He is bad at it.
    To me he has a place in a team that does not require him to track back. I have my own views as to if he is the best player to be given that freedom, or even if we are in the position to give any player that license.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Players performances are always a matter of opinion and can vary so wildly that you sometimes have to wonder whether you’ve watched the same game🤷‍♂️.

One thing is fairly certain from yesterday’s match however according to the 80 odd sets of players marks posted so far, are the top three vying for man of the match, will be from Egbo, Dobson or Leaburn. Bottom of the pile is likely to be Kirk who has scored 5.5 or less from 40 sets of those  marks.

I don’t think that’s scapegoating when we’ve just turned a team higher in the league over by four goals to two, it’s just a reflection of that players performance on the night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I personally don’t think he’s as bad as some are saying. 
    Could he be better? Yes. Could he be better defensively? Yes. 
    You’ve only go to see how a player like Gabriel Jesus regularly pops up in Arsenal’s penalty area making blocks or interceptions to see that some of it is about fitness, work rate and motivation. The top teams in the Premier League are brilliant defensively, and don’t give opponents time on the ball to build up momentum, and their defending starts with their forwards. We’re not great at that, and you could see Exeter growing in confidence as we allowed them possession once we were two up. How Garner can inculcate that mindset into a mid table League One side is a different matter.
    But I do wish Kirk would occasionally try to take on his man, like Corey did so effectively on Tuesday. At the very least it would make him less predictable, and harder for the fullback to deal with. 
  • Options
    I like Kirk, he offers something different to our other wingers which I think we need.

I think his defending in our third leaves a lot to desire (he gets back, but takes up bad positions and is easily ghosted past), and he is never going to excite people as much as CBT/JRS because he does not have the same pace, balance and dribbling skills.

However I see him popping up at the back post and in the box more than our other wingers, and where as others have the ability to go past people he has that ability to put in a killer ball. 

If we stay 4-4-2 I’d certainly stick with him for the time being, especially as having CBT to come on against tiring full/wing backs is a great tool. 

However he will need to get make some key contributions over the next set of games to keep his place. 
    wouldn't be surprised to see him go come January
  • Options
    I’m watching a different match , they or me must be getting Stockley mixed up 
  • Options
    Mmmmh. Still just wants to do the nice and easy parts of the game.
  • Options
    Beam him out of the club (Andy) Scotty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't stand players like him. Wasting his talent because he doesn't have the sense to use his size to make a tackle/effort.

The best, most skilful players in the world still put in 100% and can put themselves about a bit.

He is pathetically powderpuff.
  • Options
    I thought he was slow and obvious when played for Crewe against Us. But most on here told me to shut up and that I didn't get it. 

He was given a lot of rope at Crewe for being a local darling. 
  • Options
    Felt he was battling hard for the “couldn’t give less of a fuck” award today. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    I call him the pretender.

Acts as if he is doing something but really, he’s doing nothing at all.

Winds me up and think he comes across a bit immature too. People can be laugh and good to be around, but you need those players to be a leader and act professional and like they care.

He’s a name in a growing list of players who should not be near the club if we ever want to think about challenging at the right end of the league.

Sorry, but that’s my honest opinion.
    Sage said:

Winds me up and think he comes across a bit immature too. People can be laugh and good to be around, but you need those players to be a leader and act professional and like they care.

He’s a name in a growing list of players who should not be near the club if we ever want to think about challenging at the right end of the league.

Totally agree, saw a video of him throwing a golf club the other day. Just shows what a little brat and baby he is. 
    Arrogant and shit. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

I marked him in marks thread once as "looks good doing nothing" and I stand by it.  He is very pretty and looks like he might do something but very rarely does.  

I don't want to assign blame but he is a non football persons idea of a half decent player.  
  • Options
    He did absolutely fuck all when he came on today, completely killed any attacking impetus we had down that side
  • Options
    Ah good, you're all catching on! 

He cannot play wing. He maybe has his uses as a 10 in certain formations, but probably not any of Holden's
  • Options
    Isn't a winger probably only of any use as a 10 , had a patch where I thought it had actually clicked for him and he'd kick on and start to perform but he's regressed again. If Holden is going to be playing wingbacks I don't see a future for any of the wingers.