Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p56 - left by mutual consent)

Comments

• Options
    Sessegnon sounds like exactly the right kind of player to suit Kirk's preferred position/style of play so hopefully that will be a fruitful partnership 
  • Options
    Kirk | Fraser | Egbo all did well together down that flank.

Unfortunately the video window was too small for me to see how he did with Clayden on the opposite side of the pitch - Watching him these two games, he's not going to be some winger who is going to explode into life during a game like CBT, but for the most part will work with the players around him, and keep things moving forward.
  • Options
    Sam Lavelle, proper leader 👌
    Good northern lad for Kirk to have as a housemate too. Makes a lot of sense, to me, that arrangement. 
  • Options
    I really want Kirk to do well for us. Not just because he's clearly a good player but because he never got a proper chance. He joined possibly our worst ever performing team at a difficult time and then was one of the only players to not benefit at all from the manager change. I feel like Jackson made time for just about everyone but him, and persisted with some players in horrendous form out of position but Kirk never had the chance to get a run. It's true he didn't look great, but how many games were Lee or DJ or Leko or Gilbey bad for without getting completely frozen out? He possibly needed the temporary move but I hope he starts our first game of the season and the fans get right behind him. Lopsided wingers is likely the way Garner will want to go anyway and there can't be many better for the role in L1 than Kirk.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's still sold late on to a team in the North West
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if he's still sold late on to a team in the North West
    Hope not... Would have pre-season vibes of when Ceballos did really well, and then went to STVV on a permanent deal.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Can’t rule it out I suppose but would be really disappointing. Some of his link up play with Fraser and Egbo was very exciting yesterday. Can’t wait to see him playing with Sessegnon flying down that wing.
  • Options
    Kirk was the player who got the 4 year contract last season. We have covered all the reasons why it went poorly. Steve Gallen and Thomas Sandgaard would still want Charlie to be a success at Cafc because it's a bad look when your main signing fails. Fans lose confidence in the recruitment team despite signings up and down the country are at the whim of fate and sometimes luck. Football transfers aren't an exact science.

No surprise either way: Charlton either recoup their money on Kirk and he goes back up north or he's told he is wanted in the 16 man match day players  and he settles in the South with his girlfriend.
  • Options
    I would suspect if a team up north make an offer he will be gone.

You can clearly see in his style of play he needs an overlap option on the left without it defenders know all they have to do is stand on his right.  It would be less of a problem if he could play centrally or had a turn of pace.     
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I hate to write someone off, and I really hope he proves me wrong……but I’m just not sold on him. 

He played OK yesterday, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is about him that I just can’t quite see working for us.

Maybe it’s because he’s quite an unorthodox player for someone who plays out wide. Doesn’t really have pace or ability to beat a man.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I hate to write someone off, and I really hope he proves me wrong……but I’m just not sold on him. 

He played OK yesterday, but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is about him that I just can’t quite see working for us.

Maybe it’s because he’s quite an unorthodox player for someone who plays out wide. Doesn’t really have pace or ability to beat a man.
    I prefer CBT, particularly when we are likely to have someone as slow as Stockley as our striker . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really like his attitude especially if true he's looking to move back up north - put in a proper shift tonight 
  • Options
    Best match for us by a country mile, a lot was made about him needing an overlapping fullback to get the best out of him and with Clayden (and Sess to a degree) he has that and is getting better and better, really don't want us to be shipping him out this window as he's just starting to hit his stride 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think of the 4 wingers we have now, if one leaves it's DJ
    I still think Kirk is most likely because if Blackpool come in he’ll want to go. Do think all 4 will stay though and it’s a decent set with different qualities. Just gotta hope Garners coaching leads them all to chipping in. 
  • Options
    Apologies if this has been done before (haven't read the rest of the thread), but his name gives me this ear worm...

https://youtu.be/W1sju0GFJCA
  • Options
    I had my doubts - in some ways I still do - but for all that he floats about with little ostensible purpose, get the ball near him and things start happening. I'm trying to think of another Charlton player like it and I'm not getting much. His playing style feels like an anachronism. Maybe I should have been celebrating him all along for the strange ghostly creature he is
  • Options
    I said in the match thread for someone with such a lackadaisical style of play he sure does wear his heart on his sleeve - as seen from many of his emotional reactions to events on the pitch this season.

And indeed during pre-season! I remember an incident I think in the Dartford game, where he completely lost it because someone misplaced a pass to him! It was hilarious to watch, but also did show that he wasn't going through the motions until he could get a move. 

Indeed, while he's not always effective, he certainly isn't playing like someone who wants to leave.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I think of the 4 wingers we have now, if one leaves it's DJ
    I still think Kirk is most likely because if Blackpool come in he’ll want to go. Do think all 4 will stay though and it’s a decent set with different qualities. Just gotta hope Garners coaching leads them all to chipping in. 
    Long season ahead and with CBT flakey with injuries , we will need all 4, especially if Leaburn is being used as a number 9 in the absence of Chuks.