Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Blucher said:
    No club is going to want to take Charlie Kirk on loan in January, given his ineptitude and complete lack of desire. Football is a small world and no one would want that sort of individual around their squad day to day.

I think he will just see out the remaining 18 months of his contract and sit on his hands unless we pay him off. Thereafter, if he continues playing - and that’s by no means certain - his next (and final) stop will be non-league. He might, at best, get a 12 month deal in the National League North, although I expect he’d need to demonstrate some quality and commitment during a successful trial before clinching that sort of deal and I’m not sure he’s got the stomach for that.

Given the level of the fee and the length of contract, Kirk is surely one of the worst ever signings by any third tier club. 
    Why not ? He was excellent at Blackpool and the only reason he did not stay there was because of change of manager .. he Been  extremely unlucky look how many managers he had just at Charlton .. diff systems diff Styles .. he is a talent his stats stake up especially assists and we seen that at Charlton .. but it’s just not happening and the problem we got is finding a club with the budget to take on his wages or 70% of them 
    Blackpool - 9 appearances. 0 goals. 3 assists.
    Burton - 14 appearances. 2 goals. 1 assist. More yellow cards (4) than goal contributions.
    Charlton - 33 appearances. 3 goals. 5 assists.

Overall - 56 games. 5 goals. 9 assists.

Absolutely none of that can be classed as 'excellent', nor him being a talent who provides loads of assists. For the money paid for him at this level, he is worse than terrible.
    I actually think his Blackpool loan was pretty good. Two of those 9 appearances were as a sub, for 9 and 23 minutes each and he rarely got a consistent run (which granted is its own thing). He played 560 minutes and got 3 assists, which is one every 187 minutes and did that while coming in and out of the team in various different shapes at Championship level. His numbers under Garner weren't bad either (3 goals, 4 assists, involved in a goal every 172 minutes). especially given he had the donkey version of Stockley to aim at and had to play up front a few times, but his overall play never felt like he was justified being in the team. In the end he often costs you more through his absenteeism in phases of play than he gets you through his goals and assists
    Assists in my opinion can be very misleading to what the actually performance or what it actually was.. You could misplace a pass which leads to goal, or deflect of your arse and leads to a goal.. Just don't think assists really paint the true picture. 
    Sure, I know what you mean. You can get an assist for playing a square ball inside your own half to someone who then goes on a ridiculous run, beats four players and chips the keeper while you watch. The good thing about assists though is you can look into them to see whether they were worthy. That season Kirk got assists against Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford and Pompey. 
    Kirk was very good against Plymouth. He wanted the ball from the start, he pressed and he worked. His assist is a generous one by any definition; he played the ball across to Clare to smash his wondergoal past their keeper, but he did pop up at the back post to score himself and it's worth noting that he had another chance earlier on at the back post which was going in until their player handballed it on the line. Plymouth got a red for that and we scored the resulting penalty which put the game completely in our control so I think he's earned an assist for that game.
    Against Wycombe he beat his man(!) and put the ball across the box for JRS to score. Against Oxford he got the ball in the box and put it back for one of our players to shoot. The shot was blocked out but it came back to Kirk again and he sent a delicate cross over for Stockley to head in from 2 yards, which was the safest way to supply Stockley at the time. For Pompey, he played a brilliant through ball on a break for CBT for slam in for 2-0. Also when Pack put in his second yellow tackle Kirk was straight over moaning to remind the ref Pack was already on a yellow, which I always find hilarious.
    All in all, I think they're decent assists. Watching them was a reminder that Kirk is capable of moments of calm where he actually looks like he's a composed, creative player who knows what to do when he receives the ball in tight areas and he's very good at finding space at the back post. He wasn't brilliant then but he was 10 times the player we saw the other day.
    Not if you play for Charlton 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    I noticed that account a while ago and I think you’d be right.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Dobson didn’t waste it. He had the ball, a few yards from goal, he had the momentum. if he can see a postage stamp gap then he is the one that HAS TO go for it in those circumstances, no question of that in my book and you don’t criticise any player for having a go. Same if it was Kirk or any other player. The likelihood of it being Kirk, however, is I suspect probably very low atm
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The club really need to try and terminate Kirk contract by mutual consent.  Obviously financially there would be  a hit but he clearly has no future at the club and we will struggle to off load him even on loan in the January window. Keeping a player not wanted and probably not wanting to be at the club does no one any favours.

• Options
    The club really need to try and terminate Kirk contract by mutual consent.  Obviously financially there would be  a hit but he clearly has no future at the club and we will struggle to off load him even on loan in the January window. Keeping a player not wanted and probably not wanting to be at the club does no one any favours.

I agree it'd be best for the club but he's not going to be inundated with offers and it'd be unlikely he's going to command the same wage he earns at Charlton anywhere else. Unless we just give him the money we owe him for the rest of his contract here, there's no reason for him to accept a mutual termination
  • Options

I agree it'd be best for the club but he's not going to be inundated with offers and it'd be unlikely he's going to command the same wage he earns at Charlton anywhere else. Unless we just give him the money we owe him for the rest of his contract here, there's no reason for him to accept a mutual termination
    He could be tempted by a mutual termination with a decent leaving fee. Even if he goes out on loan he knows he's going to have to come back here and I think he feels the same as the fans. A fee for leaving gives him the opportunity to cut ties and he can take a smaller salary elsewhere without it affecting him financially. 
  • Options
    Or we end up sending him on loan, pay his wages with the hope to claim a fee in Summer. 

Some great options here :/
  • Options

He could be tempted by a mutual termination with a decent leaving fee. Even if he goes out on loan he knows he's going to have to come back here and I think he feels the same as the fans. A fee for leaving gives him the opportunity to cut ties and he can take a smaller salary elsewhere without it affecting him financially. 
    Big risk for him for no gain, other than not playing for Charlton again. Say if he is set to collect 200k from us until the end of his contract, he'd be silly to take anything less than that if we wanted to cancel his contract. There's little to no incentive for him to do that. Footballers careers are short and at this level the money they make is still very, very good but it's not like a Premier League or even higher end Championship money
  • Options

Stands to reason that a player who gives as much to the team as Dobbo does, gets a bit of a squeeze when they make a mistake. As opposed to players who constantly go missing, even when they're on the pitch

It's a bit of a mute point imo.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I was speaking to an ardent Crewe fan yesterday who was aware of our fan base’s anti Kirk vibes. I explained the reasoning behind it and he said that Kirk had always been a non event defensively and it was like playing with 10 men when they were up against it. Nothing new there then.

He did praise him though for his attacking contributions mainly due to the partnership he’d formed with fullback Pickering who went to Blackburn? They and a number of Crewe’s other starlets had played together through the academy and knew one another’s games inside out.

Unfortunately for him with the loss of his father, 200 miles from family support and no decent naturally left footed full back for him to form a partnership with, it’s been a disastrous move career wise albeit not financially for him. 

The sooner we part company the better for both parties but I’m not holding my breath.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Or we end up sending him on loan, pay his wages with the hope to claim a fee in Summer. 

Gotta find someone desperate enough to want him, did anyone come in for him in the summer ? Wages will be the problem I expect.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

Gotta find someone desperate enough to want him, did anyone come in for him in the summer ? Wages will be the problem I expect.
    If everybody keeps slagging him off on social media its not going to endear him to another club either on loan or permanent.
  • Options
    Kirk is understandably not going to want to give up the high wage we pay him but does mean I have no sympathy for him being unhappy at our club and needing a fresh start.

As I am sure we would delighted at this stage to release him from his contract if he wished to escape. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    mendonca said:

If everybody keeps slagging him off on social media its not going to endear him to another club either on loan or permanent.
    I'm just glad he's the best player to ever pull on a Charlton shirt
  • Options
    Nowhere near the first team please, MA
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    mendonca said:

Hahaha you seriously think that football supporters slating a player on social media would put professional recruitment staff off of signing a player ?  :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Solidgone said:
    mendonca said:

Hahaha you seriously think that football supporters slating a player on social media would put professional recruitment staff off of signing a player ?  :D:D:D
    I was thinking about what Curbs has talked about  his recruitment strategy on players. He has said that he would also find out as much about the player’s personality/attitude etc to ensure the player would fit in with the make up of his team. I don’t think social media then is what it is now but why wouldn’t you add it now?  Recruitment agencies use FB, Linkin etc for background information on people?

PS: Kirk is shyte. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    mendonca said:

I was thinking about what Curbs has talked about  his recruitment strategy on players. He has said that he would also find out as much about the player’s personality/attitude etc to ensure the player would fit in with the make up of his team. I don’t think social media then is what it is now but why wouldn’t you add it now?  Recruitment agencies use FB, Linkin etc for background information on people?

PS: Kirk is shyte. 
    Powell did the same with the title winning team.

Went after players with the right personalities, and weren't overly tied down with families so didnt have to worry about changing schools for their kids if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    Same with Holden, he had his 'no dickheads' rule and...oh.
  • Options
    It makes sense for Kirk to leave in the Jan transfer window but paying him off could impinge on our transfer or wages budget in the short term. I recall our Israeli centre back, Talal Ben Haim, was still receiving wages from Portsmouth, three years and three clubs after he had left him. If we came to a deal with Kirk like this thereby we would not be committing a lump sum, or keep him on as a potential training ground disruption or be responsible for medical costs in the event of injury on the training ground.