Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    Sure I read on CL that if we pay up his contract we save a lot of money we can then spend a lot of money on new players

>:) 

• Options
    Stig said:
    Major said:
    I am getting a bit pissed off with this witch hunt.There is plainly for all too see,something wrong in Charlies life.He came to us from Crewe with a good record,we were all pleased to get him.Nobody deteriorates this quickly without good reason.The club are doing the right thing to keep him involved as much as possible.I just wish he had taken one of chances on Sunday to perhaps give him some confidence.They were not sitters by the way,one on ones are never easy,and has anyone seen Nunez misses for Liverpool this year,they all do it.I just hope he gets a move and has fresh start,perhaps nearer home with family support,not the constant slagging off from the keyboard warrior brigade,I think this thread should be taken down.
    Snowflake hogwash. If he can't cope as a professional footballer, he should find another job. I'm sure the club have been very supportive but we are not a charity. If he needs family support, he should move closer and not stay  to take the money he is not earning.
    He coped very well as a pro footballer before he came to us,are Taylor,Aneke,Mcgrandles Edun,doing any more for their wages than Kirk,we certainly would not miss any of them on their contributions to the team so far this year.I am sure if he gets the chance to go nearer home he will take it. 
    I take it you are joking.
    Possibly should have excused Aneke,but how often has he played and when do you think we will see him again,and then for how long.I think he has maybe taken part in 5-6 games this season,maybe 3 months out ,takes us to late january,then possibly same again 5-6 games then out again,wish it was different the guy can play.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Major said:
    I am getting a bit pissed off with this witch hunt.There is plainly for all too see,something wrong in Charlies life.He came to us from Crewe with a good record,we were all pleased to get him.Nobody deteriorates this quickly without good reason.The club are doing the right thing to keep him involved as much as possible.I just wish he had taken one of chances on Sunday to perhaps give him some confidence.They were not sitters by the way,one on ones are never easy,and has anyone seen Nunez misses for Liverpool this year,they all do it.I just hope he gets a move and has fresh start,perhaps nearer home with family support,not the constant slagging off from the keyboard warrior brigade,I think this thread should be taken down.
    Snowflake hogwash. If he can't cope as a professional footballer, he should find another job. I'm sure the club have been very supportive but we are not a charity. If he needs family support, he should move closer and not stay  to take the money he is not earning.
    He coped very well as a pro footballer before he came to us,are Taylor,Aneke,Mcgrandles Edun,doing any more for their wages than Kirk,we certainly would not miss any of them on their contributions to the team so far this year.I am sure if he gets the chance to go nearer home he will take it. 
    Possibly should have excused Aneke,but how often has he played and when do you think we will see him again,and then for how long.I think he has maybe taken part in 5-6 games this season,maybe 3 months out ,takes us to late january,then possibly same again 5-6 games then out again,wish it was different the guy can play.
    Tbf in those 5-6 games he probably wins us more points than other players do over the whole season 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Major said:
    Yeah, you're right it's only five league games, but no matter how disappointed we may be with that tally, no-one can say he hasn't tried or been influential.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My local Sunday morning 3rd division parks team will take him on loan in January on the provision he will pay his £2.50 a week subs and settle for a place on the bench.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Stig said:
    Major said:
    Tbf in those 5-6 games he probably wins us more points than other players do over the whole season 
    Shows you how s*** the others are then.
  • Options
    What were his left footed swipes all about.
  • Options
    It’s not a witch hunt.
    For whatever reason he’s just not fulfilling the role he is paid very well to do.
    It’s not about missing a few goal attempts, it’s about going completely missing in games. 
    We are a mid table league one club, we can’t afford the luxury of players not competing.
    If he’s unhappy he should do something to change that.
    I don’t want him here if his heart isn’t in it.
    Thank you. I wish I could have expressed it like this. Not angry like mine.
  • Options
    Major said:
    It’s not a witch hunt.
    For whatever reason he’s just not fulfilling the role he is paid very well to do.
    It’s not about missing a few goal attempts, it’s about going completely missing in games. 
    We are a mid table league one club, we can’t afford the luxury of players not competing.
    Thank you. I wish I could have expressed it like this. Not angry like mine.
    I was angry, straight after the game.
    I’d calmed down by then 😜
  • Options
    BodBod
    edited November 2023
    It’s not a witch hunt.
    I completely agree. He is thoroughly underwhelming. He should never wear a Charlton shirt again if we are serious as a club about doing anything.
  • Options
    It was interesting to hear Alfie May's interview (on BBC London radio, talking about the importance of having family support and the perils of constantly commuting long distances. Maybe he should have a good long talk with CK and (hopefully) convince him to head back north asap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:
    No club is going to want to take Charlie Kirk on loan in January, given his ineptitude and complete lack of desire. Football is a small world and no one would want that sort of individual around their squad day to day.

I think he will just see out the remaining 18 months of his contract and sit on his hands unless we pay him off. Thereafter, if he continues playing - and that’s by no means certain - his next (and final) stop will be non-league. He might, at best, get a 12 month deal in the National League North, although I expect he’d need to demonstrate some quality and commitment during a successful trial before clinching that sort of deal and I’m not sure he’s got the stomach for that.

Given the level of the fee and the length of contract, Kirk is surely one of the worst ever signings by any third tier club. 
    Why not ? He was excellent at Blackpool and the only reason he did not stay there was because of change of manager .. he Been  extremely unlucky look how many managers he had just at Charlton .. diff systems diff Styles .. he is a talent his stats stake up especially assists and we seen that at Charlton .. but it’s just not happening and the problem we got is finding a club with the budget to take on his wages or 70% of them 
    Blackpool - 9 appearances. 0 goals. 3 assists.
    Burton - 14 appearances. 2 goals. 1 assist. More yellow cards (4) than goal contributions.
    Charlton - 33 appearances. 3 goals. 5 assists.

Overall - 56 games. 5 goals. 9 assists.

Absolutely none of that can be classed as 'excellent', nor him being a talent who provides loads of assists. For the money paid for him at this level, he is worse than terrible.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    No club is going to want to take Charlie Kirk on loan in January, given his ineptitude and complete lack of desire. Football is a small world and no one would want that sort of individual around their squad day to day.

I think he will just see out the remaining 18 months of his contract and sit on his hands unless we pay him off. Thereafter, if he continues playing - and that’s by no means certain - his next (and final) stop will be non-league. He might, at best, get a 12 month deal in the National League North, although I expect he’d need to demonstrate some quality and commitment during a successful trial before clinching that sort of deal and I’m not sure he’s got the stomach for that.

Given the level of the fee and the length of contract, Kirk is surely one of the worst ever signings by any third tier club. 
    Why not ? He was excellent at Blackpool and the only reason he did not stay there was because of change of manager .. he Been  extremely unlucky look how many managers he had just at Charlton .. diff systems diff Styles .. he is a talent his stats stake up especially assists and we seen that at Charlton .. but it’s just not happening and the problem we got is finding a club with the budget to take on his wages or 70% of them 
    Burton - 14 appearances. 2 goals. 1 assist. More yellow cards (4) than goal contributions.

Absolutely none of that can be classed as 'excellent', nor him being a talent who provides loads of assists. For the money paid for him at this level, he is worse than terrible.
    I actually think his Blackpool loan was pretty good. Two of those 9 appearances were as a sub, for 9 and 23 minutes each and he rarely got a consistent run (which granted is its own thing). He played 560 minutes and got 3 assists, which is one every 187 minutes and did that while coming in and out of the team in various different shapes at Championship level. His numbers under Garner weren't bad either (3 goals, 4 assists, involved in a goal every 172 minutes). especially given he had the donkey version of Stockley to aim at and had to play up front a few times, but his overall play never felt like he was justified being in the team. In the end he often costs you more through his absenteeism in phases of play than he gets you through his goals and assists
  • Options
    2 of his goals came in the same game at Burton, so he's got 1 goal in the other 32 games. As a wide attacking player, and even (like you say) playing up front himself sometimes that is abysmal.

Honestly have no idea why his form fell off a cliff, but i guess there is some truth into him struggling after the loss of his dad. 
  • Options
    On the whole I think going by games played can be very misleading; as he fell out of favour Kirk started getting brought on just to waste time or take off a tired player, so of those 33 games he appeared for 12 minutes or less in 9 of them for an average of about 4 minutes across those games. He started 19 of them so still a fair few, and he generally got hauled off around the 60-75 minute mark as he wasn't influencing the game enough so I'm not defending his overall performances but I don't think the 33 apps tells the whole story. 
    I think given the fact he doesn't seem to like running and doesn't affect games enough his best bet would probably be to try and become a dynamic bench option for a team. His goal involvement per minute is actually pretty good, but he's so languid and spends so much time looking like he won't do anything that he doesn't feel like a good option to bring off the bench to save a game. He should really look at Jack Payne, he was pretty consistently reliable for coming off the bench and being involved in a goal, he just tended not to be much use across a whole game.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    How many of his appearances, goals and assists were in the league?

I vaguely recall him setting up a few for Stockley and a recent goal v Villa U21s
  • Options
    How many of his appearances, goals and assists were in the league?

I vaguely recall him setting up a few for Stockley and a recent goal v Villa U21s
    What we've talked about so far has been all league (33 appearances, 3 goals, 5 assists). Overall he's made 48 appearances, with 1 goal in the banter cup against Villa u21s and and 1 assist in the FA Cup against Havant & Waterlooville (which actually makes his performance against Cray Valley even funnier).
  • Options
    Thanks 
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I actually think his Blackpool loan was pretty good. Two of those 9 appearances were as a sub, for 9 and 23 minutes each and he rarely got a consistent run (which granted is its own thing). He played 560 minutes and got 3 assists, which is one every 187 minutes and did that while coming in and out of the team in various different shapes at Championship level. His numbers under Garner weren't bad either (3 goals, 4 assists, involved in a goal every 172 minutes). especially given he had the donkey version of Stockley to aim at and had to play up front a few times, but his overall play never felt like he was justified being in the team. In the end he often costs you more through his absenteeism in phases of play than he gets you through his goals and assists
    Assists in my opinion can be very misleading to what the actually performance or what it actually was.. You could misplace a pass which leads to goal, or deflect of your arse and leads to a goal.. Just don't think assists really paint the true picture.