Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

If anything, under Adkins we’ve been rock solid and well organised defensively. Today, for twenty or so minutes in the first half, we looked anything but. Against the run of play, Oxford countered effectively, scoring two with only two attempts on goal. At that point, the result looked academic! 

We got a lifeline with the penalty, which Washington slotted away confidently.

Whilst we played better for spells through the second half, we weren’t able to pull level and truthfully never looked particularly dangerous. We have a distinct lack of firepower. Our attack is blunt and play too often bypasses our flapping midfielders.

Over to you. 

Oxford 2 Charlton 1

Comments

• Options
    We deserved fuck all. Goodnight 
  • Options
    Lucky to get away with a 1-2, could and should have been a lot worse
  • Options
    That was pretty bad. 
  • Options
    I think it's only fair I concede Albie has no left foot for shooting.
  • Options
    Can’t wait to hear Mr Motivators spin on this one.
  • Options
    Lucky to get away with a 1-2, could and should have been a lot worse
    If only it had been 1-2 B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ran out of ideas, switched early to long ball. And the worst thing is that Stockley doesn't seem to be that dominant aerially. Last season at Sunderland their centre backs just gave up and let him win the headers... what's happened there?
  • Options
    If we go up this season I'll get a tattoo of Marvin Sordell on my arse. 

A lot of us have been sold a dream and bought it. Better than the alternatives but we aren't going anywhere.
  • Options
    Shocking!
    went from irrational and erratic play at times to plain complacency.

no midfield, which isn’t helped by Morgan trying to do everything- this is a make or break season for him and he shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11! Gilbey & JFC desperately missed!

nothing coming off from the bench, lack of Plan B is worrying - presumably with a few more bodies in that will change?

A Defence that was solid last week, looked mistake prone and all over the place- again not helped by Gunter out of position and then no shielding from the wingers! 

Early days yet, and first 5-10 games of a season don’t matter as much, as still trying to get into the swing of things- but hard to see where we go from here! 
    Where does Kirk fit in? We don’t play along the floor, and midfield is so overrun and static that it doesn’t bare thinking about! 

As others have/continue to say - need at least 5 more in!

• Options
    Listened on Valley Pass. Squad isn’t good enough to go and chase a game. Need 5/6 players to be anywhere near the top come May. Let’s hope we can get Kirk and Gilbey in the squad ASAP.
  • Options
    We’re gonna blow through this division…

downwards
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been optimistic with regards to the whole depth of our playing staff but I'm worried now. That was pretty bad.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ran out of ideas, switched early to long ball. And the worst thing is that Stockley doesn't seem to be that dominant aerially. Last season at Sunderland their centre backs just gave up and let him win the headers... what's happened there?
    Maybe today he wasn’t, but he won every single defensive and attacking header against Wednesday. 
    Shame if he wasn't today... Wasnt there a comment pre-game saying that Oxford were without their two first choice Centre-Backs, one with COVID?

To be fair even if you setup against a Stockley, the message would surely be the aim to win the second ball that he knocks down, rather than trying to compete in the air
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Really poor, what's most concerning is how we played, second game in a row I'm struggling for positives.

Fair play to Oxford, they looked good.
  • Options
    Oxford looked good. A group of players that have been together a while and know exactly what the manager wants out of them.

We looked poor. Extremely reminiscent of those dire performances under Karl Robinson towards the end of his tenure. 
  • Options
    Drop Morgan, put Washington in the centre and Kirk left wing for Tuesday. Only saving grace is that the all conquering (according to some) Ipswich are on the same points and GD as us!!
  • Options
    Abysmal,devoid of any ideas…set pieces what the fuck & no one on the bench to make it any better…Cmon Tommy let’s see what ya got…
  • Options
    Too one dimensional up front - no plan B if stockley doesnt win everything in the air. 

We need a rethink