Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    Tactics are non league esque just rush kick and hope longballs
  • Options
    I'm nearly home. 
    Good to be doing an away day with life long friends. 
    Piss poor performance  but having supported us for the best part of  57 years nothing I ain't used to.
    Onwards and upwards as they say and an early night for me.
    Not bloody surprised, you've been drinking for nearly 11 hours!
  • Options
    I know we were crap today, and the alarm bells are ringing if we do naff all, but we lost this match in 2019 away, and still ended up getting up through the playoffs , long season ahead 44 games to go , don’t get to down lads, the players are going to need us!
  • Options
    F*** me, all this nonsense after two league games.
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    As SeriouslyRidiculous could say, "let's see where we are after 15 games".
    Genuine question - do you believe the squad we started last season with is stronger or weaker than this squad?
    well?
    I answered this question 2 weeks ago & got pelters because I had the temerity to say that you can't compare a squad built under a transfer embargo & a wage cap to one that has had 3 months under no restrictions at all. 

On a like for like basis we are probably weaker atm. Maybe slightly weaker if you then add in Kirk. Main issue is the midfield & up front. 

But as I say - you cant compare last Sept to this Aug. If you want to compare this squad to the one that finished last season then we are definitely weaker. 
  • Options
    When Kirk is available I hope we change to a 4-4-2, get some control in midfield and give Stockley a fighting chance by only being marked by one player.
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea where Sandgaard stands and I don't think anybody does, outlandish European football aims and a self proclaimed lack of patience, yet a woefully thin squad to start the season leaving everyone else a step ahead.  
    I think it's fairly obvious the budget is ridiculously small & it's difficult to understand why Adkins came to the club when he has turned down all offers made to him for the last two years & yet Sandgaard seems to have made in nigh on impossible to build a promotion chasing team.

Thanks to Sandgaard we still have a club to support, we got the Range Rovers back from the thieving scum, we have the womens team in house, we have a technical director + his son, we have an improved medical department, we have a fans advisor & we have a clear pathway into the first team for the youngsters (whether they're good enough or not). Unfortunately it seems he's unable or unwilling to fund a squad building that would give us a chance of winning promotion. We've had 3 months to build a squad plus most of last season to spot our targets & yet we're looking at maybe bringing in a few more at the end of the month. Obviously loans & who knows what sort of quality they will be. Premiership in 5 years ? hahaha
    One thing you forget is that Adkins said from day 1 that he wanted to bring on the youth.....and that the average age of the squad was too high. 

During the summer he has consistently & persistently said that the club want to use the youngsters. At the start of pre-season he mentioned the pre season friendlies & how he wanted to see the U23's in action & who could step up to the first team.

It's just some of you havent been listening. I believe NA was brought in BECAUSE he is willing to use U23's. 

This is our future. You might want to get used to it. 

Yes he said the average age of the squad was too high but I think he gave the impression that we would be buying young, hungry talent not using youngsters from within the club who aren't good enough. (yet) Any manager would be crazy to agree to that. He made the point that he wanted to involve the youngsters in training with the first team to give them a taste not that they would be involved in match day squads whether they were ready or not. I don't believe Adkins will hang around too long if he's not allowed to build a competitive squad.

This may well be our future under sandgaard, whether I'm prepared to "get used to it" is another matter thanks. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    What does DJ bring? I always laughed when people suggested he’d tear the league a new one because he had a few decent pre season games. He has been bang average whenever I have seen him - we need better as he won’t be scoring or creating many goals.
  • Options
    What a load of wankness 
    8 seasons of junk league one in 13 go back another 80 years to find the previous 8

0%    Top 2
    45%    Play offs 
    50%   7th-12th
    5%    Bottom half 

at least Ipswich are doing guff , fuck Ipswich , we’re Charlton and we’re currently absolute dog shit .
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I honestly have no idea where Sandgaard stands and I don't think anybody does, outlandish European football aims and a self proclaimed lack of patience, yet a woefully thin squad to start the season leaving everyone else a step ahead.  
    I think it's fairly obvious the budget is ridiculously small & it's difficult to understand why Adkins came to the club when he has turned down all offers made to him for the last two years & yet Sandgaard seems to have made in nigh on impossible to build a promotion chasing team.

Thanks to Sandgaard we still have a club to support, we got the Range Rovers back from the thieving scum, we have the womens team in house, we have a technical director + his son, we have an improved medical department, we have a fans advisor & we have a clear pathway into the first team for the youngsters (whether they're good enough or not). Unfortunately it seems he's unable or unwilling to fund a squad building that would give us a chance of winning promotion. We've had 3 months to build a squad plus most of last season to spot our targets & yet we're looking at maybe bringing in a few more at the end of the month. Obviously loans & who knows what sort of quality they will be. Premiership in 5 years ? hahaha
    One thing you forget is that Adkins said from day 1 that he wanted to bring on the youth.....and that the average age of the squad was too high. 

During the summer he has consistently & persistently said that the club want to use the youngsters. At the start of pre-season he mentioned the pre season friendlies & how he wanted to see the U23's in action & who could step up to the first team.

It's just some of you havent been listening. I believe NA was brought in BECAUSE he is willing to use U23's. 

Yes he said the average age of the squad was too high but I think he gave the impression that we would be buying young, hungry talent. ......He made the point that he wanted to involve the youngsters in training with the first team to give them a taste not that they would be involved in match day squads whether they were ready or not. 
    Yes he said he wanted to involve the U23's in the matchday squad. It is then your impression that he wasn't planning on using them. Ever since the players came back to pre season training he has said that if they are good enough he will play them. And then in the pre season games he said that he was impressed & would not hesitate to include them in the matchday squad. He then bigged up Davison saying that he could feature.......and then played him in a pre season friendly whilst resting Stockley.

The signs have been there.
  • Options
    From today’s game I learnt two LESSons…..

we are brainLESS & toothLESS

Prime example was very last minute you have to keep the ball alive. Morgan swivels off balance and hoofs it into the car park 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    From today’s game I learnt two LESSons…..

we are brainLESS & toothLESS

Prime example was very last minute you have to keep the ball alive. Morgan swivels off balance and hoofs it into the car park 
    Nice riff on LESS there.  
  • Options
    Don't forget they missed an open goal and a free header from 6 yards. Could have been a lot worse score wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021

Yes he said the average age of the squad was too high but I think he gave the impression that we would be buying young, hungry talent. ......He made the point that he wanted to involve the youngsters in training with the first team to give them a taste not that they would be involved in match day squads whether they were ready or not. 
    Yes he said he wanted to involve the U23's in the matchday squad. It is then your impression that he wasn't planning on using them. Ever since the players came back to pre season training he has said that if they are good enough he will play them. And then in the pre season games he said that he was impressed & would not hesitate to include them in the matchday squad. He then bigged up Davison saying that he could feature.......and then played him in a pre season friendly whilst resting Stockley.

The signs have been there.
    But that's not really what's happened is it?  If you ignore the cup game, which for this purpose we probably should.

The only 2 "youth" players that have played are really Morgan and Davison who are both 3 or 4 seasons into "men's" football.  It really is time for them to either be worth a place or find a different line of employment.  Claydon has had about 15 minutes, over two games.

If he "had to" play the kids, he wouldn't play a 32 year old right back at left back, he would play Roddy and brown nose his boss, or so we keep getting told.

We have reduced the average age by replacing Pratley and Shinnie with Dobson and Clare.  We have signed Kirk.  We have an option to buy Famewo.  As it stands our "first XI" doesn't have a player over 30 in it, that's massively different to last season.

Obviously we are well short, still, in both quality and depth but there is no evidence that the solution, or the instruction, is to just play the u23s. 
  • Options
    Good day, meeting friends in Frankie & Benny's just outside the ground following a stop/start journey via the M25 & M40. 

Nice meal lots of chat & catching up & 2 glasses of the pink stuff. 

Then there was the match. 

Sadly, we were no match for Oxford today. 

After the euphoria of finally capturing one of our targets, inevitably ( this IS Charlton !) reality didn't take long to set in.

2 easy peasy goals for the Yellow Perils, a dearth of decent moves & forays into enemy territory from our lads and the game was all but won. I couldn't see where a goal was likely to come from & indeed it failed to materialise from open play. ONE thing the basically incompetent in the black did get right though & Wash didn't let us down. 

Akin & Big Ryan didn't do much wrong & our goalscorer demonstrated that he is a class act as usual but the others....best I keep my thoughts to myself but suffice to say, not one impressed me in the slightest. In fact, as others agreed, I can barely remember the talented DJ being involved in anything remotely positive ! Albie tried so hard ( probably too hard) to make something happen but seemed to plumb the depths of despair whenever his offerings went awry Definitely can't fault him for effort. 

So, another fruitless visit to the Kassam with nil points to bring south....again. 

I haven't heard NA's thoughts on that disappointing, concerning 90+ minutes but will be very interested in his take on things as they stand at present with another match in 3 days' time. Even if our newest recruit starts on Tuesday evening, I fail to see how one player might influence the way in which our threadbare squad could fashion a win, or even a point, unless his name happens to be Lionel. Long balls to JS aren't working & a Plan B is urgently required. 

IMO two things need to happen in tandem, and without delay.

Reinforcements, whether permanent or loanees must be brought in before heads drop further & confidence drains away. The latter seems thin on the ground already if today's performance is anything to go by. 

And secondly, NA & his trusty assistants must find a different modus operandi to suit the players we will then have on board, at least until the January window opens. I sincerely hope that the gaffer is open to suggestions & constructive criticism from his team otherwise we may as well resign ourselves to another season in this ***** league ( insert your own adjective please ) and our owner will be fortunate to see 5k season tickets sold thereafter. 

So, much for the powers that be to ponder and big decisions to make if the faithful has any chance of enjoying their first full season back after lockdown & restrictions. SO much promise & high expectations with supporters playing their part, as always. 

Now it's time for TS & NA to step up to the plate and reassure us that our faith in them will not be in vain. 
    Thank @Fanny Fanackapan.  The most objective post tonight.   Open. Honest and objective 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    What does DJ bring? I always laughed when people suggested he’d tear the league a new one because he had a few decent pre season games. He has been bang average whenever I have seen him - we need better as he won’t be scoring or creating many goals.
    A disc jockey normally brings music.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    stonemuse said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Three games in and even the naysayers now realise you can't win fuck all with no left back, no left winger and no creativity in.the middle of the park.

Kirk SHOULD have been on the bench.  Ridiculous to not think he could have done 20 mins.

Oxford will be up there.  At this point we are SO far away it is sad.

NOW people realise we are FIVE or SIX players off competing.

We have gone backwards.   Hate it.  Really hate how poor our current position is.  

Yes Kirk could have done 20 mins, but as he's been mourning the death of his father, it is understandable he may have needed some time.
    He managed to sign his bumper new contract after his £500,000 transfer. 

20 minutes and a chance to earn us a point isn't beyond reasonable. 
    Well that's utterly unpleasant. 
    Why?  It is 100% factually correct  
    You might want to take a break before you degrade yourself any further. 
    Genuinely feel sorry for the lad but do we also give him Tuesday off?  And next Saturday?  He took part in a signing.  He gave club interviews.  I'm interested to know people's genuine opinions. 

Degrade?

Really?

Not posted much recently but you are a completely heartless wanker 
    I'm an employer (of 50+ employees) and I'm actually very thoughtful for births, deaths and marriages but I don't own a football club.

Yeah I bet you are.
    Yes, actually I am.  I'd say more but it actually has no influence on the below, but as an employer I went to work the morning after my Dad had a triple heart bypass and nearly died on the operating table, because my business actually needed me the next day @northstandsteve knows me and my Dad.

But let's not forget this wasn't a current employee, it was somebody who didn't sign his contract because his father passed away and then did, later in the week, getting a huge payrise, with a big signing on fee, knowing he usually worked Saturday at 3pm and went on record saying he was looking forward to going to work.

If he was a CURRENT  employee I'd understand the flack more but he signed after the death and said he was looking forward to playing.

This post and his/her previous sound sensible to me.
  • Options
    I see TS getting a lot of stick on his twitter post during the game. He seems to brush it off all the time but I always thought him being on there isn't a great idea   
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Kirk will help as will the return of Gilbey. 
    I don’t know other league 1 squads too well, but I wonder how many other clubs have three quality players like Kirk, Gilbey, Purrington, yet to even appear in there matchday squads. 

Of course we still need some more signings, but having those three in our squad will help a lot. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Good day, meeting friends in Frankie & Benny's just outside the ground following a stop/start journey via the M25 & M40. 

Nice meal lots of chat & catching up & 2 glasses of the pink stuff. 

Then there was the match. 

Sadly, we were no match for Oxford today. 

After the euphoria of finally capturing one of our targets, inevitably ( this IS Charlton !) reality didn't take long to set in.

2 easy peasy goals for the Yellow Perils, a dearth of decent moves & forays into enemy territory from our lads and the game was all but won. I couldn't see where a goal was likely to come from & indeed it failed to materialise from open play. ONE thing the basically incompetent in the black did get right though & Wash didn't let us down. 

Akin & Big Ryan didn't do much wrong & our goalscorer demonstrated that he is a class act as usual but the others....best I keep my thoughts to myself but suffice to say, not one impressed me in the slightest. In fact, as others agreed, I can barely remember the talented DJ being involved in anything remotely positive ! Albie tried so hard ( probably too hard) to make something happen but seemed to plumb the depths of despair whenever his offerings went awry Definitely can't fault him for effort. 

So, another fruitless visit to the Kassam with nil points to bring south....again. 

I haven't heard NA's thoughts on that disappointing, concerning 90+ minutes but will be very interested in his take on things as they stand at present with another match in 3 days' time. Even if our newest recruit starts on Tuesday evening, I fail to see how one player might influence the way in which our threadbare squad could fashion a win, or even a point, unless his name happens to be Lionel. Long balls to JS aren't working & a Plan B is urgently required. 

IMO two things need to happen in tandem, and without delay.

Reinforcements, whether permanent or loanees must be brought in before heads drop further & confidence drains away. The latter seems thin on the ground already if today's performance is anything to go by. 

And secondly, NA & his trusty assistants must find a different modus operandi to suit the players we will then have on board, at least until the January window opens. I sincerely hope that the gaffer is open to suggestions & constructive criticism from his team otherwise we may as well resign ourselves to another season in this ***** league ( insert your own adjective please ) and our owner will be fortunate to see 5k season tickets sold thereafter. 

So, much for the powers that be to ponder and big decisions to make if the faithful has any chance of enjoying their first full season back after lockdown & restrictions. SO much promise & high expectations with supporters playing their part, as always. 

Now it's time for TS & NA to step up to the plate and reassure us that our faith in them will not be in vain. 
    Fanny ... you are almost spot on.

The one bit that you got wrong ... Jaiyesimi.  Talented?  No.

He's a lump with no brain.  People (including Adkins) have blamed the rest of the midfield for not getting Jaiyesimi involved today.

For a professional player, I find that embarrassing.  The confident, the arrogant, the good players go looking if things are not coming their way. 

You make it happen.  You don't wait and hope.

We have that lump for another three years.  And that, for me, was the first worrying sign of the new transfer policy.  I called it after his first few games.  A player to take us into the Championship and beyond?  Oh, please.

I'm more optimistic about Kirk.  But, oh my ... do we need another four or five like him.
    This forum is becoming an ugly place.