Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    F*** me, all this nonsense after two league games.
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    As SeriouslyRidiculous could say, "let's see where we are after 15 games".
    I’m one of the few that agree with you. We’ve played 1/23rd of the season and have played a relegated team with a £25k a week midfielder and a team that has made the play offs 2 years running. We have another two difficult games. If we started off with Cambridge and Cheltenham, we would have more points and it might have been less obvious to TS that we need bodies in. 

I reckon we will get 5 more in, mainly loans, plus gilbey, purrington back and even Schwartz improves the bench. 

Mid August is not the time to panic
    Thing is it's not WHO we've played.....its HOW we've played. I would totally agree with you if we had had 10 shots on target, hit the woodwork a few times & made their goalkeeper work. 

But we haven't. I'm surprised that some posters on here seem to think that many of the "bedwetters" or "negative Nancy's" just look at the result & moan. You should know better than that. Many people on here go to the matches & can see what is happening in front of them on the pitch. 

We have a midfield devoid of ideas.

We are playing a right back at left back & have no cover there at all.

Our main style of play seems to be to launch it to the big guy up front & the see what happens. There is no-one feeding off him & no one gets to his knock downs.

We lost our top goal scorer in the summer & he has not been replaced. Well he has if you count Davison as Aneke's replacement - and if so that will not get us promoted.

After two games! As I said, mid august is not the time to panic.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Despite the terrible performance, the worst thing today was Sandgaard's pre match interview. He stressed the need to build slowly and said we would only be getting a 'handful' more players and they would be loans at the end of the window.
    If he had then said 'we will settle for mid table' at least the strategy would make sense.
    Did he ? Haha well that's this fucking season written off then. Mighty glad I didn't buy a season ticket. 
    Someone just said on five live: 'we're told to trust the process. What process? What's a process? What's going on?'

Oh, hang on, that was an Arsenal fan. But......
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I feel for Adkins. He said he wanted his squad sorted before pre-season started, and it's not even sorted two games into the season.
    He walked at Hull because of problems with the owners I think. I really find it hard to believe that he took this job knowing that the squad was going to be underfunded.
  • Options
    DJ was woeful, and nothing i’ve seen from him in the last 8 months makes me think he’ll be a success here.
    Washington MOM easily.
  • Options
    Hark at the doom and gloom on here.
  • Options
    Yet another bolloxed up Saturday night. 
    Have a good drink and forget about it mate. That’s what I’ve been doing for the last 30 odd years.
    And your only 38
    I wish I was mate.
  • Options
    Will be interested to see if Adkins gives two up front a go, to try and make us less one dimensional with the lump it up to stockley tactic. Would that suit our midfielders any more?.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Three games in and even the naysayers now realise you can't win fuck all with no left back, no left winger and no creativity in.the middle of the park.

Kirk SHOULD have been on the bench.  Ridiculous to not think he could have done 20 mins.

Oxford will be up there.  At this point we are SO far away it is sad.

NOW people realise we are FIVE or SIX players off competing.

We have gone backwards.   Hate it.  Really hate how poor our current position is.  

Yes Kirk could have done 20 mins, but as he's been mourning the death of his father, it is understandable he may have needed some time.
    He managed to sign his bumper new contract after his £500,000 transfer. 

20 minutes and a chance to earn us a point isn't beyond reasonable. 
    Well that's utterly unpleasant. 
    Why?  It is 100% factually correct  
    You might want to take a break before you degrade yourself any further. 
    Genuinely feel sorry for the lad but do we also give him Tuesday off?  And next Saturday?  He took part in a signing.  He gave club interviews.  I'm interested to know people's genuine opinions. 

Degrade?

Really?

Stewart said:
    Kirk has lost his Dad and “his best friend.” Give the kid a break. 
    I got a day off work when my parents died and a day for the funeral. No disrespect, but why should, Footballers be any different. After that it was use your holiday. An that’s working for major FTSE company.  An this is not directed at Kirk, this is just a basic life statement. 
    Shit employers.  When one of my team lost her father I gave her a week off work immediately as compassionate leave, a couple of days to go to the funeral and time off for counselling over the next few weeks.  I also put additional support in place such as support around her caseload.  I took a relaxed approach to occasional time off (half days, duvet days) in the 3 months or so following.
    I get it but in the same time they didn't sign a life changing contract with a new employer!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our midfield, which looked fluid and energetic in the PSF'S, looked disjointed and disconnected today.
    Albie continues to flatter to deceive.
    We completely failed to bring DJ into the game and had little threat from the other side, where Washy and Gunter is mismatch.
    We are not creating anything and we don't threaten the oppo.
    As a result our defence is coming under pressure and are out of ideas bringing the ball out.
    Disappointing day to say the least
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Will be interested to see if Adkins gives two up front a go, to try and make us less one dimensional with the lump it up to stockley tactic. Would that suit our midfielders any more?.
    It very much depends on who those midfielders are. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    This team is crying out for a player with the quality of Bannon, who we saw glimpses of last week. But Sandgaard is fixed on the idea of signing youth, a tight budget AND bringing on the youngsters that are already at the club, i.e freebies. That strategy might just work, but for it to work might take a few years as already suggested. Enthusiasm is infectious but a dose of realism soon brings the infection under control. 
  • Options
    Just got in from the game and haven’t read the other postings on here.

I thought we were very poor. The one attacking move is to sling it up to Stockley’s head and see what happens. ( We did  get the penalty from that) There was little or no play through the midfield, need Gilbert and JFC back. Oxford were the better team and deserved the win but they were very niggly, and constantly feigning injury. Weak officials helped them in this.

Hopefully we will improve when the midfielders return, I just hope that will not be too late to influence our season.

• Options
    paulfox said:
    It very much depends on who those midfielders are. 
    Yes definitely, more so my point was, how flexible and willing to change things would Adkins be? It’s something we haven’t seen from him yet. Please don’t read this as me having doubts about him though.
  • Options
    Not sure we have a drawing board to go back to but will try to stay positive for a few more weeks till the despair kicks in.
  • Options
    not not sure how Morgan can be blamed for the first. Yep, he lost the ball which didn’t help but their guy on the left had so much tome to run o to our box and shoot, he should have been closed down a lot earlier
  • Options
    On way home , good drink with mates , but, can’t see many positives ? 
    I know it’s early in season but just can’t see us scoring other than penalties, I want albie to do so well for us but he needs help, we create so little and just don’t look threatening at all, even defensively they cut through us at least 3/4 times with ease,
    lots to do to even think about top 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The team we had when promoted would batter this lot, clare and dobson are like a poor mans version of aribo and cullen
  • Options
    I fear these new signings are duds, could sense it by watching the game against Sheff Wed. Dobson is brushed off the ball too easily: wrong physique for a central defender. And Clare is anonymous: the game passes him by. Someone said he was "hiding" today.

Even the keeper - traditionally a strong position for us - is flaky. Muffed an easy shot: 1-0. 'Blow through this league'? Not with these players. Not with Morgan, either: he is clumsy, wasteful, and prone to howling errors.

• Options
    Bring back bowyer 
    It’s not that bad!
  • Options
    Yet another bolloxed up Saturday night. 
    Have a good drink and forget about it mate. That’s what I’ve been doing for the last 30 odd years.
    And your only 38
    I wish I was mate.
    He was talking about your waist.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Hark at the doom and gloom on here.
    All day long, nailed it.
  • Options
    F*** me, all this nonsense after two league games.
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    As SeriouslyRidiculous could say, "let's see where we are after 15 games".
    Genuine question - do you believe the squad we started last season with is stronger or weaker than this squad?
    well?
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Three games in and even the naysayers now realise you can't win fuck all with no left back, no left winger and no creativity in.the middle of the park.

Kirk SHOULD have been on the bench.  Ridiculous to not think he could have done 20 mins.

Oxford will be up there.  At this point we are SO far away it is sad.

NOW people realise we are FIVE or SIX players off competing.

We have gone backwards.   Hate it.  Really hate how poor our current position is.  

Yes Kirk could have done 20 mins, but as he's been mourning the death of his father, it is understandable he may have needed some time.
    He managed to sign his bumper new contract after his £500,000 transfer. 

20 minutes and a chance to earn us a point isn't beyond reasonable. 
    Well that's utterly unpleasant. 
    Why?  It is 100% factually correct  
    You might want to take a break before you degrade yourself any further. 
    Genuinely feel sorry for the lad but do we also give him Tuesday off?  And next Saturday?  He took part in a signing.  He gave club interviews.  I'm interested to know people's genuine opinions. 

Degrade?

Really?

Stewart said:
    Kirk has lost his Dad and “his best friend.” Give the kid a break. 
    I got a day off work when my parents died and a day for the funeral. No disrespect, but why should, Footballers be any different. After that it was use your holiday. An that’s working for major FTSE company.  An this is not directed at Kirk, this is just a basic life statement. 
    Just because a major FTSE company has a complete lack of morals doesn’t mean we have to sink to those lows. 

The “I suffered so why shouldn’t he” mentality leaves a very cold view of reality
    When my Dad passed at the beginning of December (2004) I was told to take all of December off, not holiday they were giving me a month off.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Today weren’t good , you can’t dress it up.

We've had 27 managers in our history, 14 in the last 10 years, we need stability and backing, 5 year plan, it will take 5 years to get out of league one with this lot, nothing in the final 3rd.

Best thing about today was the vocal support from the Charlton fans, a lot of our players won’t have heard this before from  Charlton fans, glad Nige and the players came across to acknowledge them at the end.
  • Options
    That bench was dire defently no game changers there