Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    F*** me, all this nonsense after two league games.
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    As SeriouslyRidiculous could say, "let's see where we are after 15 games".
    I’m one of the few that agree with you. We’ve played 1/23rd of the season and have played a relegated team with a £25k a week midfielder and a team that has made the play offs 2 years running. We have another two difficult games. If we started off with Cambridge and Cheltenham, we would have more points and it might have been less obvious to TS that we need bodies in. 

I reckon we will get 5 more in, mainly loans, plus gilbey, purrington back and even Schwartz improves the bench. 

Mid August is not the time to panic
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    supaclive said:
    Bailey said:
    JamesSeed said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Three games in and even the naysayers now realise you can't win fuck all with no left back, no left winger and no creativity in.the middle of the park.

Kirk SHOULD have been on the bench.  Ridiculous to not think he could have done 20 mins.

Oxford will be up there.  At this point we are SO far away it is sad.

NOW people realise we are FIVE or SIX players off competing.

We have gone backwards.   Hate it.  Really hate how poor our current position is.  

Yes Kirk could have done 20 mins, but as he's been mourning the death of his father, it is understandable he may have needed some time.
    He managed to sign his bumper new contract after his £500,000 transfer. 

20 minutes and a chance to earn us a point isn't beyond reasonable. 
    Ffs give it a rest. 
    I am not going to suppose that you have never lost a Parent SuperClive, but having been in that situation., the last thing I wanted to do is kick a football around. 
    It's his job.  It's not kicking a football around.  

I'm making an opinion.  Nobody needs to like it, but I would want to take my mind off things.   Each to their own.

Remove the Kirk issue, we're still left with a totally inadequate squad.
    If my dad died I'd want to take time off work, definitely, to be able to grieve, and also get everything sorted for the funeral etc and then hopefully deal with the loss and get closure
    I know you would.  We all would, but some jobs just don't allow it.

I'm on a hiding to nothing, but I'd throw myself into my work, especially a new job.

It is what it is

But still a distraction from the major issues!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I think the overall feeling and why there’s a lot of sniping and grumpiness on here is....We’re just so fkd off with the third division. We shouldn’t be anywhere near it let alone stuck here for the last x many years. TS came in and saved the club. It felt like we were on our way again. But the pre season and start to the season has been anything but ‘blown away’.
    It’ll probably work out but it’s not surprising that many are cheesed off. There’s been so much bad about the club. So many lies and false dawns in the last few years that it’s easy to jump to glass half empty when it seems project Thomas is going slower than many expected. 

And I’m not making excuses for those who are digging out Kirk. Ffs we’re better than that regardless of the last few years. He probably wouldn’t have made any difference today anyway. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Three games in and even the naysayers now realise you can't win fuck all with no left back, no left winger and no creativity in.the middle of the park.

Kirk SHOULD have been on the bench.  Ridiculous to not think he could have done 20 mins.

We have gone backwards.   Hate it.  Really hate how poor our current position is.  

Yes Kirk could have done 20 mins, but as he's been mourning the death of his father, it is understandable he may have needed some time.

I agree.  

I was his age when my mum died. She died on the Sunday and I went back to work on the Thursday. I had two days off the following week for the funeral (including prep). My employer was understanding but I still had clients who were paying for a service and I needed to deliver. 

sadly, the world moves on and I would have expected him to be on the bench today.
  • Options
    I think Kirk coming in will make a difference. At least he’ll be able to stretch the width and attack them. That will open up things for us. But, that’s not glossing over the fact that Morgan, Dobson and Clare are pretty weak. That area was where the main problems were today. Strange as it sounds, we needed Watson out there from the beginning to provide a cool head. We need Gilbey back but will he be the same player that we glimpsed at the end of last season?! DJ was totally ineffective today. Seemed like he was ill or injured? Very lethargic. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:

Well that's utterly unpleasant. 
    Why?  It is 100% factually correct  
    You might want to take a break before you degrade yourself any further. 
    Genuinely feel sorry for the lad but do we also give him Tuesday off?  And next Saturday?  He took part in a signing.  He gave club interviews.  I'm interested to know people's genuine opinions. 

Degrade?

Really?

Not posted much recently but you are a completely heartless wanker 
    I'm an employer (of 50+ employees) and I'm actually very thoughtful for births, deaths and marriages but I don't own a football club.

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    For all those who are talking about funeral arrangements/understandable grief  the quotes above are quite clear why he was not involved today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Also people talking about writing off the season already is crazy.

Look at Blackpool last season, 4 points from their first 7 games, 27 points from 21 games.......and finished the season 3rd.
    Sanity to this thread.
    Were you watching? We look a poorer side than last year.

Only two games, read my previous post.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Agree with @Valley11 re this division. Hate it. But truth is, since the 1970s every time we’ve dipped into it, it has taken either one season or three seasons to get out.

The only time we got promoted after two seasons was back in the 1930s. Then we went straight through the 2nd and finished runners-up in the 1st. 

Anyway, back to the sherry.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Fact is it that is only 3 games in and people are shitting there nicks. 

The almighty Ipswich lost to Burton today so it ain't going swimmingly for them even with there "stellar" recruitment.

You are all adults...support the team we have and welcome any new players into the fold.

Also that comment about Kirk and his not playing today was fucking disgraceful...shame on you.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Just got home - not read any other views .

so frustrating. 

It’s so annoying that Oxford barely had any chances but scored so easily from the ones they did have  .
    We just hoofed the ball to Stockley and nothing ever came of it . 
    If only Morgan had a final ball or was able to score goals or utilises set pieces  , he’d be amazing but sadly he doesn’t. 
    That run he made was fantastic . 

What’s annoying is we were the better team for large parts of the games but Oxford won with ease because they dealt with our long ball game .  The Ref was one of the worst I’ve seen in years . 

Two tough games coming up and I can’t see us getting much from them either . 

• Options
    Bring back bowyer 
  • Options
    We have a poor squad and look like a L1 side - expected more after last season. Hopefully Kirk won't be the only signing.
  • Options
    If we're going to lose, it's the perfect way to lose. Look so utterly bereft of ideas that Sandgaard realises you can't patch it with a couple of last minute loan deals. I still think we need 6/7 players
    I don't think we'll be signing many if any quality permanent signings. I expect us to go for loans & then in September maybe pick up a couple of average players out of contract. Maybe the anticipated rebuild will happen next summer when sandgaard realises he has to spend money or will stay in 3rd Division for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    And please take Morgan off of set-pieces, the standard of delivery is not consistent enough.
    But an upgrade on Forster caskey
    Seriously?
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea where Sandgaard stands and I don't think anybody does, outlandish European football aims and a self proclaimed lack of patience, yet a woefully thin squad to start the season leaving everyone else a step ahead.  
    I think it's fairly obvious the budget is ridiculously small & it's difficult to understand why Adkins came to the club when he has turned down all offers made to him for the last two years & yet Sandgaard seems to have made in nigh on impossible to build a promotion chasing team.

Thanks to Sandgaard we still have a club to support, we got the Range Rovers back from the thieving scum, we have the womens team in house, we have a technical director + his son, we have an improved medical department, we have a fans advisor & we have a clear pathway into the first team for the youngsters (whether they're good enough or not). Unfortunately it seems he's unable or unwilling to fund a squad building that would give us a chance of winning promotion. We've had 3 months to build a squad plus most of last season to spot our targets & yet we're looking at maybe bringing in a few more at the end of the month. Obviously loans & who knows what sort of quality they will be. Premiership in 5 years ? hahaha
    One thing you forget is that Adkins said from day 1 that he wanted to bring on the youth.....and that the average age of the squad was too high. 

During the summer he has consistently & persistently said that the club want to use the youngsters. At the start of pre-season he mentioned the pre season friendlies & how he wanted to see the U23's in action & who could step up to the first team.

It's just some of you havent been listening. I believe NA was brought in BECAUSE he is willing to use U23's. 

This is our future. You might want to get used to it. 

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Despite the terrible performance, the worst thing today was Sandgaard's pre match interview. He stressed the need to build slowly and said we would only be getting a 'handful' more players and they would be loans at the end of the window.
    If he had then said 'we will settle for mid table' at least the strategy would make sense.
    Did he ? Haha well that's this fucking season written off then. Mighty glad I didn't buy a season ticket. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlie Kirk isn’t the only signing. We’ve signed 6 others and there’s more to come before the window slams shut. Patience is key. Understand but don’t completely get the negativity on this forum. This time last year a lot of fans were looking at starting afresh in the National League as AFC Charlton! 
  • Options
    You can bring on the youth but not rely on them. They shouldn’t be our only options from the bench.

We will make more signings before the end of the month.
  • Options
    Morgan is pony. Cost us today. We have no plan B. 
  • Options
    Some of the worst football I've seen from us for  long time  . Long ball after Long ball . Embarrassing  .
    It's no surprise. We did the same last season and will continue to do so as long as Stockley is in the team.

Maybe if we played a few games without him we'd be better for it. It would push the players to try something else.
  • Options
    About the only positive from that is if Sandgaard was watching he'll have been bored to tears and realised he needs to get new signings in quick.

We can probably write off MK Dons on Tuesday as it'll likely be more of the same but hopefully Kirk and Gilbey can come in for Wigan next week.
    Having just read what sandgaard said pre match you can be pretty sure that we won't be seeing any quality signings coming in. Premiership in 5 years ? We'll still be floundering in league 1.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    And please take Morgan off of set-pieces, the standard of delivery is not consistent enough.
    But an upgrade on Forster caskey
    Seriously?
    Yep. When Forster caskey got injured and Morgan came in, we scored a couple from Morgan’s set pieces. Accrington away being one example. 
  • Options
    It baffles me that anyone even considered a win for us today. Where did they imagine the goals would come from? 

There is negative diatribe that doesn't really help anyone but when the tribe is dire it needs noting.  

We can never forget Roland's hellish stewardship and the great saving help of TS so it's not easy to bring criticism to TS and indeed NA so early. But "NO GOALS IN THIS SIDE" were concerns raised all summer. 

That and "we will piss this division next season" make me think there is a delusion complex at the club..

Boasts of " we know our identity" and " the place is buzzing" and " 5 years for premiership football" may work as CEO positive talk in business but this is football. Players thrive when good players are brought in and everyone has to fight for the shirt and their place. 
    Bringing in 5 new players now is 3 months late. The one positive " our amazing defence" looked inept and without purpose.