Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    Bubble said:
    Absolutely baffling that they released Shinnie after watching that
    Adkins is a good manager, but if he would rather Clare in the side than Shinnie, he has a massive blind spot.
    I don't think it was an Adkins decision. 

'The recruitment team' took one look at Shinnie's age, Morgan's age and then released him. 
  • Options
    Early days but this squad is worse than last seasons. Midfield needs 2 new starters not including Gilbey otherwise it's going to be a slog 
    Think we'll be lucky to get one what with JFC due back in Jan.
  • Options
    At the game. Deserved nothing, got nothing. No Plan B whatsoever. Still an incredible lack of creativity and movement. We have a hard working team but we really lack any quality going forward. Once Stockley was booked we were always going to find it even harder. Thought we looked sluggish at times and Ox looked peppier than us throughout. 
    Was even more disappointing as I didn’t think Oxford were very good. 

We desperately need at least 4/5 players of real quality or we’ll struggle to make the play offs. 

Onward to Franchise FC!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Drop Morgan, put Washington in the centre and Kirk left wing for Tuesday. Only saving grace is that the all conquering (according to some) Ipswich are on the same points and GD as us!!
    Agreed Red. This seems like a good change with the personnel we have.

• Options
    not a good start to the season, BUT so far we have played against 2 goodish sides and today's match stats indicate that we held our own EXCEPT in the most vital area scoring goals .. yes I know that stats are akin to lies and damned lies 
    Tuesday's game at MK will tell us a lot more about what is going on .. remember y'all this is a LONG season 2 down 44 to go .. at least we are level with the so far stuck in the mud tractor boys ((:>)
  • Options
    F*** me, all this nonsense after two league games.
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    As SeriouslyRidiculous could say, "let's see where we are after 15 games".
  • Options
    The most disappointing thing is how predictable we are. Our full backs don’t like going forward, our striker is isolated, our wingers don’t get the ball enough and our midfield is only there to try and prevent the other team playing. So we just lump it. 

The recruitment hasn’t been what we thought it would be, whether that’s down to lack of budget, a strange market or whatever, but Adkins needs to pull his finger out his arse by either changing the formation or at least encouraging the players we do have to attempt to play. We know League One players are limited, but we just got played off the park by Oxford ffs.
    A non goal scoring midfield, combined with defensive full backs, so it's hardly surprising we look toothless and predictable.
  • Options
    Also people talking about writing off the season already is crazy.

Look at Blackpool last season, 4 points from their first 7 games, 27 points from 21 games.......and finished the season 3rd.
    Sanity to this thread.
  • Options
    The most disappointing thing is how predictable we are. Our full backs don’t like going forward, our striker is isolated, our wingers don’t get the ball enough and our midfield is only there to try and prevent the other team playing. So we just lump it. 

The recruitment hasn’t been what we thought it would be, whether that’s down to lack of budget, a strange market or whatever, but Adkins needs to pull his finger out his arse by either changing the formation or at least encouraging the players we do have to attempt to play. We know League One players are limited, but we just got played off the park by Oxford ffs.
    A non goal scoring midfield, combined with defensive full backs, so it's hardly surprising we look toothless and predictable.
    I think you have identified the problem. It is solvable but the deficiencies have to be accepted to be addressed.
  • Options
    not a good start to the season, BUT so far we have played against 2 goodish sides and today's match stats indicate that we held our own EXCEPT in the most vital area scoring goals .. yes I know that stats are akin to lies and damned lies 
    Tuesday's game at MK will tell us a lot more about what is going on .. remember y'all this is a LONG season 2 down 44 to go .. at least we are level with the so far stuck in the mud tractor boys ((:>)
    There tends to be more space to operate in against the better footballing sides. 

I dread to imagine this team trying to break down Accrington Stanley or Burton Albion. If anything, we’ll get even less joy from our long balls.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    loans?
  • Options
    There tends to be more space to operate in against the better footballing sides. 

I dread to imagine this team trying to break down Accrington Stanley or Burton Albion. If anything, we’ll get even less joy from our long balls.
    well hopefully (a word I dislike using as it implies lack of a plan lol) Kirk will add a lot of width to the attack with Gilbey (where IS he ?) in midfield supplying some go forward and accurate passing .. there is a BIG need for a nippy little goal poacher to feed off crosses and knock downs .. thing is, every club in the division is looking for such a player, where are they ? and how much ?
  • Options
    If we had won 3-0 today the very same people slagging things off would have been singing a different tune. Get a grip. 
    Genuine question - do you believe the squad we started last season with is stronger or weaker than this squad?
  • Options
    Drop Morgan, put Washington in the centre and Kirk left wing for Tuesday. Only saving grace is that the all conquering (according to some) Ipswich are on the same points and GD as us!!
    At least Ipswich have players they can bring in if the first 11 aren't winning. Look at our bench today. More akin to a struggling club with no resources or have just come out of administration. Davison & Claydon aren't the answer when you are 2-1 down and chasing a game.

This is accurate. The bench looks like a struggling club. Why is it taking so long to bring in players? Yes, judge it when the window closes but we will be going some between now and then to get in the required number of players.
  • Options
    Agree with most points re long season & route 1 ball. Steve Brown called that out as bad idea on stream. Adkins does know how to get creative, passing football out of players but are this lot up to it? I think they need more time to gel, we can only hope.
  • Options
    True as far as it goes but on current evidence it's not like we're carving out chances and need a bit of luck to finally start scoring. Plan A is very much long ball football and there is no depth to provide a plan B. That's not negative - that's factual. The bench is almost entirely either over thirty or under twenty. 

A few more signings of the Kirk calibre or even possibly a tweak to the formation and that could change. But based on the evidence, very few of the concerns so far are completely invalid.
  • Options
    Well,  this is all going swimmingly,  isn't it?
  • Options
    Yet another bolloxed up Saturday night. 
  • Options
    Don’t know why I’m here. Need to find something better to do.