Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match thread: Oxford v Charlton | 14th Aug 2021

Comments

• Options
    I really don't like that Albie is becoming the scapegoat already. He's the only player not lumping it forward when he gets the ball. Always looks up and tries to get forward. 
    I don’t always agree the stick he gets but it’s prudent to note that not one League 1/2 side had a sniff of him when he was available on loan over the last couple of summers.

The Mid is a real problem - when push comes to shove you have 3 players who couldn’t get into top 8 L1 sides last year. 
  • Options
    Horrible result but more worrying was the standard of each of our players against each of theirs. With 4 exceptions I'd swap with Oxford.
    Added to that, naive tactics and a lack of belief = long hard season and the prospect of another year floundering in the third division.

• Options
    We are so far off right now it’s laughable. I’m sure we’ll make signings before the end of the window but we seem to completely lack ideas and I’m not sure how that changes with a few extras through the door. Hopefully that’s just me being dramatic after a disappointing performance 
  • Options
    Not sure why my post above got a LOL, it’s a distinct possibility that our season will be one to forget if we don’t strengthen and develop a game plan that doesn’t solely rely on lumping it forward to Stockley when we go behind. 
  • Options
    Well we can say for sure that there is a lot of work still needing doing, whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

Not honestly sure how much you can say Adkins could do differently given what he's been given to work with.
  • Options
    Poor. Didn't deserve anything. Plan A isn't working and plan B doesn't exist. Keeper looks a downgrade at this stage. Hope he improves 
  • Options
    I really don't like that Albie is becoming the scapegoat already. He's the only player not lumping it forward when he gets the ball. Always looks up and tries to get forward. 
    I don’t think he should be a scapegoat either. But the harsh reality is that’s he isn’t good enough to play in the number 10 role. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointing performance that got the result it deserved.
  • Options
    Tactics don't suit the players, and the majority of the players aren't good enough. No wonder we turned in such a poor performance. 
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Absolutely baffling that they released Shinnie after watching that
    Totally agree. 
  • Options
    About the only positive from that is if Sandgaard was watching he'll have been bored to tears and realised he needs to get new signings in quick.

We can probably write off MK Dons on Tuesday as it'll likely be more of the same but hopefully Kirk and Gilbey can come in for Wigan next week.
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    A throughly depressing and dispiriting performance. It's not his fault, but having Stockley up front means that we abandon all attempt at playing football and simply hoof it up to him. If we continue to play like this it is going to be a long, boring season and I can't see us doing well.
    Adkins has to take the blame for long ball football.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    And please take Morgan off of set-pieces, the standard of delivery is not consistent enough.
    Consistently poor
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also people talking about writing off the season already is crazy.

Look at Blackpool last season, 4 points from their first 7 games, 27 points from 21 games.......and finished the season 3rd.
    Thanks Colin
  • Options
    Dog shit performance dog shit squad. 
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Adkins is a good manager, but if he would rather Clare in the side than Shinnie, he has a massive blind spot.
    He’s obviously got a thing for perceived box2box midfielders.
    Problem is I’m not convinced any of them are any good
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Despite the terrible performance, the worst thing today was Sandgaard's pre match interview. He stressed the need to build slowly and said we would only be getting a 'handful' more players and they would be loans at the end of the window.
    If he had then said 'we will settle for mid table' at least the strategy would make sense.
    He actually said "at most a handful more"

Sounds like 3-5.  Have re-set my expectations to 3-4 loanees on last day of the window.
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    Bubble said:
    Adkins is a good manager, but if he would rather Clare in the side than Shinnie, he has a massive blind spot.
    He’s obviously got a thing for perceived box2box midfielders.
    Problem is I’m not convinced any of them are any good
    But Clare stops when he gets to the opposing box.
  • Options
    I've said it before, but I don't see Morgan as a 10, but rather as one of the 2 "engine room" midfielders, as a deeper passing option, rather than as a goalscoring midfielder

You certainly can't say that Dobson and Clare have nailed down those 2 positions, leaving Morgan as the odd man out.
  • Options
    L1 club in L1. Maybe we just need to get used to it.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    3 games in, including the awful league cup game, and only really Stockley comes out with any kind of credit and he’s isolated much of the time. The two centre backs are usually solid but you can’t count on them to be fit to play on Tuesday night.

Midfield 3 is not working and none of them scream to me that they’re really good enough to be a top 6 midfield. Morgan is not the attacking midfielder we need. Clare was very quiet today and offered very little, and Dobson, well the jury is out for me.

DJ went awol today, if anyone finds him please direct him back to Sparrows Lane.

No one on the bench to come on and make any kind of difference. I’d replace the whole bench if we could.

The not good enough for top six list is growing. 

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction, we simply haven’t replaced the quality that we have lost and don’t have the squad depth to cope with a few players out injured or unavailable.

Thankfully, Kirk can come in and offer us something different which we really need and is an exciting player, and we do have time to bring in a bit of actual quality.

Ultimately, I don’t believe there’s anywhere near enough goals in this team/squad and that’s a big worry.
    Nail on head.